Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Question about having no spare tire+jack (Now with a poll!) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/question-about-having-no-spare-tire-jack-now-with-a-poll-10776.html)

kamesama980 02-16-2009 09:19 AM

run flats aren't that heavy cause you can only get self-supporting-sidewall runflats in low-profile sizes. maybe 20% heavier than a normal tire the same size but still lighter than a 60-70 sidewall. definitely NOT enough to be a loss. I'll weigh mine when I move tires around later this spring.

fix-a-flat and an inflator pack only work if it's a small puncture that would have been losing air for a long time. those and repair kits also assume that you notice it before the sidewall gives out and that that's the only problem. IE things that would be prevented by periodic checks. fix-a-flat might get you off the road a little ways in a pinch for a larger hole.

as for removing the spare because people never check them.... people aren't really the issue. do YOU check it even once a year? I work in a shop that does a lot of tires and I see them come in all the time at 20, 30, 40 etc psi. is it good...no but it works. and that's a 10 year old spare that's never been checked that only lost 20-30 psi and is still drivable. once a year oughta keep it at least 50 psi.

theholycow 02-16-2009 09:43 AM

Wouldn't run-flats have a lot of rolling resistance, though?

opelgt73 02-16-2009 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 128150)
Comments on the above:[*]I've never had a spare tire that was underinflated to the point of uselessness, regardless of never checking inflation.

I have. One of the "run flat" tires on my BMW blew out at about 80MPH in downtown Atlanta. I was on a trip from Ohio to Florida. I put the spare on and it was so low that the metal rim was almost touching the ground. I had to drive it like that to the next exit to put air in. Later at about 3am I was on the Florida Turnpike and the spare blew out. I then had to wait until 8am when the closest tire store opened. Not to mention I had a nice $200 tow bill.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 128150)
[*]I've never managed to damage anything with jumper cables, and I've used them a million times, on modern computer controlled vehicles as well as old iron.

I've never had a problem with this either.

slurp812 02-16-2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ************* (Post 128131)
I noticed that one thing that people do in order to save weight is getting rid of the spare tire and jack, just having a roadside assistance plan instead. There is one thing though, how can the road side assistance do their job unless you don't provide them a spare tire and jack to work with? Do they bring their own tire? Do you pay for that tire? How does this all work? I feel like people have overlooked this scenario and think they're set when they're really not.

I would have my woman bring me my tire, if needed. but it could end up being a pain. Fix-a-flat may work as well. So you do have options. I personally don't think its worth it. Lately tho, my mileage has sucked.

GasSavers_GasUser 02-17-2009 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ************* (Post 128131)
I noticed that one thing that people do in order to save weight is getting rid of the spare tire and jack, just having a roadside assistance plan instead. There is one thing though, how can the road side assistance do their job unless you don't provide them a spare tire and jack to work with? Do they bring their own tire? Do you pay for that tire? How does this all work? I feel like people have overlooked this scenario and think they're set when they're really not.

I cleaned my trunk out bare last spring as I had to use it. I ran for quite a while that way and noticed no difference at all in FE. About 200lbs of various stuff, much more than even a spare would weigh.

I have had several instances where I almost needed the spare. One time I plugged a tire that picked up a nail without even taking it off and aired it up on the spot and continued my drive home. Another time I got a puncture and couldn't find it and stopped 2x on the way home and just pumped it up and kept going and made it home without useing the spare. (I carry a compressor and a home made tire plug kit)

I wouldn't go without a spare and jack ever. Unless you plan on having a flat at 12:00 high noon right in front of a big wholesale tire place that has a clearance sale on the exact same size and brand tire you are running so they can match it up if they can't plug it.

Just my opinion and experience.

VetteOwner 02-17-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasUser (Post 128603)

I wouldn't go without a spare and jack ever. Unless you plan on having a flat at 12:00 high noon right in front of a big wholesale tire place that has a clearance sale on the exact same size and brand tire you are running so they can match it up if they can't plug it.

Just my opinion and experience.

exactly, its always at night or crappy weather. or its ungodly hot your melting standing on the pavement.

also carry a foot square of 3/4" plywood as in the summer the asphalt can get hot enough that the little 4x6 inch square the jack base is can sink into the pavement... happened to my dad back in the 70's with one of those pole jacks:D

bowtieguy 02-17-2009 03:25 PM

this thread is getting too long. someone needs to create a poll and be done w/ posts!

swng 02-17-2009 03:25 PM

I have had two cases of puncture in the past. Each time, I used the jack and the hand tools to put a spare tire on. Now I will not drive without them.

Jay2TheRescue 02-17-2009 04:18 PM

A square of plywood is a very good idea. My sister once called me. She was driving her husband's pickup when she got a hole in a tire. I drove out to help her, the flat was on the left side of the truck, and she was on the left side of the road in the median strip. The jack kept squishing down into the soft dirt. I had to wait until traffic cleared, and I drove the truck to the opposite shoulder of the highway so I could place the jack on the shoulder of the road instead of in the grass.

GasSavers_GasUser 02-17-2009 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteOwner (Post 128617)
exactly, its always at night or crappy weather. or its ungodly hot your melting standing on the pavement.

also carry a foot square of 3/4" plywood as in the summer the asphalt can get hot enough that the little 4x6 inch square the jack base is can sink into the pavement... happened to my dad back in the 70's with one of those pole jacks:D

Yup, and I also carry 2 pieces of 2x12 - each are one foot long - left over from steps I built to use as a base for the jack. If I want more lift, I can double them up.