Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Mileage Computer Poll (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/mileage-computer-poll-10054.html)

palemelanesian 09-26-2008 11:30 AM

If a factory temp gauge would show me the difference between 190 and 200, I'd be fine with only that. The ones I've seen show "something somewhere between H and C", and not much more. They also tend to stay at the middle for a wide range of temperatures.

Jay2TheRescue 09-26-2008 11:35 AM

That depends on the vehicle. The gauge on my truck gives a pretty detailed reading, but I know what you're talking about with the plain H & C readings.

-Jay

palemelanesian 09-26-2008 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. (Post 119600)
I find that after 12,000 miles I can estimate remaining fuel to within .5 gallon.

Me too. I know that I usually have about 1.2 gallons above the F mark, 4.9 gallons between F and 1/2, and 3.7 gal from 1/2 to the low fuel light. I've been recording miles at those points and calculating from the tank fill mpg for some time.

GasSavers_BEEF 09-26-2008 11:42 AM

I think mine says 100, 195, and 260. there is a red bit before 260. I guess that is the OH CRAP!!! SHE'S GOING TO BLOW part of the scale.

my analog gauge will stay around 195 all the way to about 205 according to the scangauge.

dkjones96 09-26-2008 12:07 PM

The Cobalt gives you a number but you have to choose if you want that or one of the other many things the on board computer will show you through the single line display.

swng 09-26-2008 05:15 PM

Just voted for instantaneous mpg and estimated gallons remaining. Inside temperature will be most useful if it means the ambiance temperature in the car (I say so in case it does not mean that) and if the device can be made to automate the AC's on and off through some easy electrical connections (asking for too much?:) ).

split63 10-07-2008 10:08 AM

Its roughly 2:1, Instantaneous and Ave MPG is all that most want.
Very interesting.

VetteOwner 10-07-2008 04:12 PM

well if you think about it id say most cars have gauges for alot of those measurements already, or if their new enough the cars computer can tell you those things. thinks most cars dont have (well up until recent) is a mpg calculator/display

Lug_Nut 10-09-2008 04:58 AM

Sorry... got it all already

MPG - instantanous: Added to Camel, standard on Chimera

MPG - average: Added to Camel, standard on Chimera

RPM: Tachometer standard on both

Speed: Speedometer standard on both

Engine Temp: Analog gauge standard on both

Inside Temp: Built in. My hypothalamus tells me when I'm cold or hot. Self adjusting for solar gain, too.

Engine codes: Camel is not OBDII, requires VW specific reader. Chimera is OBDII can use generic for engine only, but requires diesel specific text description of generic number.
Other control modules (Climate control, ABS control, Traction control, Air bag control, Central lock and alarm control, Convienience control for windows and locks and interior lighting, Radio/cassette/CD on Chimera, Automatic transmission control on Chimera), require VW specific reader. $100 for full license version, cheaper on bay-e for mere reader only.

Estimated Gallons remaining: Fuel gauge marked in gallons standard on both.

Distance to Empty: Added to Camel, standard on Chimera.

Bolens tractor is fully mechanical, and post-apocalypse EMP ready. Electrics consist of alternator, starter motor, battery and key to start. All that can be eliminated and it'll still run after being pull started.