Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   ? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/a-10068.html)

Ford Man 09-29-2008 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 119865)
Video evidence could possibly help, if you can get a dependable timestamp on it (pan over to your tv with the time displayed by the weather channel or the news).

I had some video that I took with my camcorder. I think I still have it. I was going to try to get the matter into court before a judge if it didn't stop.

bowtieguy 09-29-2008 12:02 PM

the sherriff's dept claims it has an "official" device to measure decibals in regards to noise ordinance.

problem is it is shared, so a requisition must obviously be in tune w/ the violation. good luck! what a, pun intended, cop-out.

Snax 09-29-2008 09:05 PM

We've had very good performance by actively ventilating at night to cool the mass of the house. A box fan can move over 2000 cfm which is enough to drop the indoor temperature to within a few degrees of the outside early morning temperature after running all night. It takes a good 6 hours or so to come up to a temperature where we would even consider using the air most hot days - usually allowing us to keep it off and the house temp under 75F until 4-5 pm.

That said, our AC use is more often at-will, usually in response to higher humidity rather than temperature. So we are able to run it for shorter periods of time to dehumidify, then shut it off without really cooling the house off much at all.

No matter how you look at it though, it can be compared to a bucket full of water with a hole in the bottom. The more water (temperature difference) you have in the bucket, the faster you lose it, and the faster it needs to be replaced to maintain a constant level. The only hitch in that analogy is the effect of humidity which is relatively quick to remedy.

Ford Man 09-30-2008 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowtieguy (Post 119896)
the sherriff's dept claims it has an "official" device to measure decibals in regards to noise ordinance.

problem is it is shared, so a requisition must obviously be in tune w/ the violation. good luck! what a, pun intended, cop-out.

It might be worth checking into to see if the local health department has such a device that they loan out. Next time you call the sheriff's department tell them to bring their "official sound monitor" with them. The only thing it is probably ever used for is to check noise levels around race tracks where residents complain or maybe construction sites where people expect high noise levels but businesses are concerned about the noise and making complaints because it's running off their customers.

theholycow 09-30-2008 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford Man (Post 120026)
The only thing it is probably ever used for is to check noise levels around race tracks where residents complain or maybe construction sites where people expect high noise levels but businesses are concerned about the noise and making complaints because it's running off their customers.

Probably also used for hassling those jerks who think they should share their rap music with the whole town.

bowtieguy 10-01-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 120032)
Probably also used for hassling those jerks who think they should share their rap music with the whole town.

we have a vehicle noise ordinance. it is something like: if you can hear their radio from so many car lengths, a citation CAN be written.

i've NEVER seen or heard of anyone geeting such a ticket.