Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Injector kill switch? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/injector-kill-switch-10079.html)

Project84 09-29-2008 09:44 AM

Injector kill switch?

I want to know if anyone has a link to injector kill switch schematics. Do you just tap the 4 power wires, one from each injector, wire it back to a switch, ground the switch, and have ON/OFF?

I'm not very electronically experienced, but really want to be able to EOC w/o ruining my starter/ignition parts. It's just too much trouble to EOC w/ an automatic w/o the kill switch, so I really want to incorporate this into my mods.

Thanks,

John

dkjones96 09-29-2008 10:19 AM

You'll still have to use the starter to get the engine going again. The only thing having an injector kill switch will do is let you kill the fuel supply, you go into neutral the engine will still come to a stop and you won't be able to get it back into gear without starting the engine again first.

theholycow 09-29-2008 10:25 AM

The injectors on my GMC and VW have a single common ground wire, it might be easier to interrupt that one wire than all 4 power wires.

itjstagame 09-29-2008 10:46 AM

I haven't installed it yet but my plan was just to interrupt the ground wire since they all have a common ground but have individual power wires.

I just got a regularly closed button switch and figured I'd wire it inline. This simply is a closed connection all the time and if the button is held down it breaks the ground and opens the connection (note it's not actually a switch, letting go closes the connection again). So I figured I'd hold it for a couple seconds and let go and be ready for pop starting.

Project84 09-29-2008 07:18 PM

Ah shiat, I for some reason or another, was thinking I could just kill the injectors in neutral and the coils would still be firing and then I could just restart the injectors after a nice glide.... this isn't accurate?

darn automatics...

Jay2TheRescue 09-29-2008 08:13 PM

Yeah, the coils will still fire, but without fuel, and in Neutral the wheels won't spin the engine so it would stall rather quickly. The point of an injector kill switch is to manually induce DFCO to keep the engine running without restarting. Otherwise you're just doing EOC.

-Jay

getnpsi 10-02-2008 12:50 AM

i put one of those in my aspire. idling in the driveway i could kill the engine, but on a coast downhill holding the button/switch never prevented me from pop starting and taking off again. you DO stumble a bit so i would only practice this with plenty of room for the engine to return to normal fuel supply operation. i was going to put the circuit on a vacuum switch so when i let off throttle it would do it on its own to induce dfco but i have been lazy and never purchased the vacuum switch.

Project84 10-03-2008 11:55 AM

So what I'm gathering is w/o a manual transmission, this is a no-no.

???

Jay2TheRescue 10-03-2008 11:59 AM

For an automatic I'd recommend also having a switch to manually override torque converter locking and control it manually. Maybe even use a DPDT switch that locks the TC while the injectors are being cutoff. IDK, but its a thought.

-Jay

theholycow 10-03-2008 12:14 PM

With an automatic transmission it's still useful, but not for EOC; it's just good for forced DFCO. You would have to leave it in gear and remember to turn fuel back on before your RPM gets too low.