Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Good bye Good Mileage?? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/good-bye-good-mileage-10119.html)

Jay2TheRescue 10-06-2008 02:39 PM

I have roughly ~95% block on the beast, and it was fine in 100F + temps.

-Jay

bsams 10-07-2008 08:27 AM

Yeah I would like to install a wai and at least block the upper grille on my 3. The Only issue I have is the car is still under warranty. If anything happens to go wrong in the next 40,000 miles I don't want them to try to put the blame on me if they see I have modified the airbox to accommodate a WAI. Thanks for the replies!

Jay2TheRescue 10-07-2008 09:19 AM

For now do something that is completely reversible. You can save the agressive mods for later when the warranty is out. For example my WAI is nothing more than removing the lid from the air cleaner box and a piece of duct tape. It can be reversed in less than a minute.

-jay

bsams 10-10-2008 06:40 AM

Is it the gas??

I am beginning to think that it's not all about the weather... a couple weeks ago the local Express Mart switched from Mobil to Sunoco gas. Yes, Sunoco and it's lovely 10% ethanol... yesterday the weather was perfect...mid 70s... and my daily cruise control at 55 ride home from work was not giving me the numbers it normally did with this relatively warm weather... I can't blame the gas switch yet until I fill up again with either Mobil or KwikFill (both gave me consistent mpgs all summer long)... but it really has me wondering...

Jay2TheRescue 10-10-2008 06:57 AM

I'm actually doing pretty good on my current tank of Sunoco, but then again all fuel in this area is E10 so that really doesn't matter. I filled there because it was $3.25/gal which is far cheaper than anything else in the area.

-Jay

GasSavers_BEEF 10-10-2008 08:02 AM

almost 100% grill block on the old cav. just enough room to get my hand in to pop the hood.

that isn't really a fair statement since most of my cooling comes from underneath.

I used plexi-glass that you can buy from lowes. I did this on my wife's car with zip ties. if we ever want to take it off, a pair of dikes (diagonal cutters) will do the job in about 5 seconds. quick, simple, and completely reversable grill block.

also, depending on where your car takes the air from, you may cause a WAI by blocking off some of the grill. my car takes the air from the fender well but my wife's car takes it from behind the radiator. if she were to block off more of her grill, she would yield warmer temps.

all cars are different. pop the hood, see what you have, and go from there.

Jay2TheRescue 10-10-2008 08:12 AM

I took the lid off of my air cleaner, and duct taped over where it sucked the air from the fender. This coupled with the grille block gives me temps of up to 80F over ambient. All this and the grille block and air intake are completely reversible in under 5 minutes.

-Jay

Philip1 10-10-2008 08:16 AM

I have a 90% lower block and an 80% upper block on my car with a HOT air intake on the 90* day we had last week my coolant stayed at about 204* and my intake was 140*. No over heating and great numbers for a great huge beast of a car.

GasSavers_BEEF 10-10-2008 08:39 AM

mine has hit 179 IAT but here lately has struggled to get in the tripple digits with 60-70 degree days. the morning is much worse than the afernoon. 40-50 degrees in the morning.

a little warmer lately has pushed me up to 115 or so for IAT.

I am thinking on adding more shielding just for the winter to keep temps higher. I will just have to remember to take it off for the summer.

bobc455 10-10-2008 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik (Post 120524)
At some point the refineries switch us over to the "winter blend" which yields less mpg

In the past, I heard that this happens on September 15 in Massachusetts, although I've been unable to substantiate it. I also can't seem to find out when they switch back to summer blend.

-BC