Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   So, I got a Scion with a problem... Help? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/so-i-got-a-scion-with-a-problem-help-10208.html)

Ratman667 10-17-2008 05:19 PM

So, I got a Scion with a problem... Help?

Yesterday i took my grandmother's Scion Xb to put gas in it. I noticed the CEL was on, so I scanned the codes:

PO441 Evap purge flow fault

PO442 Evap system leak (small)

PO446 Evap vent circuit malfunction

Basically i am at a loss. I have researched online but can't come up with and definitive answers. The warranty expired 2,000 miles ago and i am not wanting to take it to the dealership.

I have checked for vacuum leaks, gas cap for tightness, and cleared the codes. The light comes back on after about 5 or 6 miles.

Does anyone have any ideas? I am really hoping that it is not the vapor canister. I would really appreciate all the help i can get.

Jonathan_ED3 10-17-2008 05:42 PM

You could purchase the FSM and follow the flowchart for any given engine code? FSM's are one of the better investments you will ever make regarding your vehicle.

Ratman667 10-17-2008 06:01 PM

funds are tight right now, so i am only buying what is necessary. if i cant figure it out, i'll have the dealership take a look at it when we take it in for an oil change.

R.I.D.E. 10-17-2008 06:31 PM

Does the vehicle have over 50 k miles? If not it should be covered by the 5year-50,000 mile emissions warrantee since any evaporative emissions problem would potentially involve unburned hydrocarbons into the atmosphere.

Most CEL problems that are not maintenance related should be covered. At least they were when I was in the business.

Possibly warrantee if under 50k 5 year limit.

regards
gary

Ratman667 10-17-2008 06:56 PM

I just went out and looked, it has exactly 50,242 miles.

Ford Man 10-18-2008 09:10 AM

Since you don't have a service manual to use for guidance you can go to Auto Zone and give them the code numbers or have them scan it and they can print you out a list of things to check pertaining to the codes you have.

Jay2TheRescue 10-18-2008 09:26 AM

Since its a couple hunderd miles over 50,000 see what your dealer might be able to do for you. I've known of instances where dealers have bent the warranty rules for good customers.

-Jay

GasSavers_GasUser 10-18-2008 01:22 PM

Emission Warenty's are Federally regulated. Some things are covered for up to 8/80.000. It depends on what part/problem is. If you have the original owners manual, there will be a seperate warrenty booklet with it that will explain/break it down. Or call/go to the dealer. So it might still be covered on waranty, depending what the problem is.

2000mc 10-18-2008 03:31 PM

if i had to make a guess w/o actually diagnosing the concern, i would stick a purge valve in it. this may or may not be the cause of all the codes

if you have a "evap purge flow fault" its the most likely thing to cause it. on any vehicle i've seen this on the dtc for "evap purge flow fault" is set when the evap system senses vacuum at a time when there should not be vacuum. the reason the system has vacuum is caused by the purge valve not sealing allowing the vacuum. or just think of it as evap purge flow fault = evap purge valve flow when not desired.

other options to set that code , in order of likelyhood, would be faulty/incorrect ecm programming(newer vehicles), faulty pressure sensor that shows vacuum when it is not present, or faulty ecm

and of course, actually having it diagnosed would be a more surefire way of fixing right the first time

Improbcat 10-20-2008 05:27 AM

I agree with double checking the warranty coverage, why pay for something you don't have to?

If it isn't covered I'd check the evaporative canister first. On the xB the evaporative canister is under the cargo floor behind the rear axle. It is the black box you see in the middle of this picture:
https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3265/...33b3f4d332.jpg

Since it is exposed, it may have been hit by a kicked up rock or something and damaged something or knocked a connector loose.