Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Motorcycles (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/)
-   -   Suzuki TU250 (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/suzuki-tu250-10294.html)

smalldisplacementfreak 10-29-2008 10:17 PM

Suzuki TU250

Greetings all!

Check out Suzuki's latest commuter bike with Fuel Injection!

https://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/TU250XK9

Looks like I'll be adding one to my garage next year.

-SDF

GasSavers_BIBI 10-30-2008 04:51 AM

It looks good, the price looks good, and the power looks like just good with a good 5 speeds transmission.

Post some mpg when u get one :D

cat0020 10-30-2008 05:04 AM

$3500 for a 250cc single cylinder thumper?

The same cost, you could do better in the used bike market.. with far better performance..

My 2001 El Bandito was $1800
My 2002 SV650 was $2100

GasSavers_BIBI 10-30-2008 05:10 AM

New is always more expansive, and maybe he wants the FE of a 250cc, not a 650cc, and I dont think he really put the enphase on performance.

cat0020 10-30-2008 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIBI (Post 122847)
New is always more expansive, and maybe he wants the FE of a 250cc, not a 650cc, and I dont think he really put the enphase on performance.

New is not only more expensive, new also require more resources to produce.
Maybe thread starter does not want a 650cc, but a 250cc single cylinder bike at nearly twice the cost and 1/2 the performance, is that cost efficient?

Is EF really that much more fuel efficient? carbs could be adjusted or setup to use less fuel also.

My $1699 250cc Chinese scooter get over 85 mpg regularly.. that's carb'ed.
Fuel efficiency depends more on how the vehicle is setup and operated.

GasSavers_BIBI 10-30-2008 06:21 AM

Is the bike more confortable then the scooter?

cat0020 10-30-2008 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIBI (Post 122858)
Is the bike more confortable then the scooter?

Comfortable? that's a rather personal preference that varies from person to person.. but my scooter does have more storage compartments and does not require clutching and shifting in bumper to bumper traffic where most of the 250cc and below scooters are designed for.

So the real question becomes: What is the main purpose that you use a 250cc EFI motorcycle that cost $3500?

City commute? surburban traffic? highway cruising (not likely)? just to be retro/chic?

Jim T. 10-30-2008 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat0020 (Post 122862)
Comfortable? that's a rather personal preference that varies from person to person.. but my scooter does have more storage compartments and does not require clutching and shifting in bumper to bumper traffic where most of the 250cc and below scooters are designed for.

So the real question becomes: What is the main purpose that you use a 250cc EFI motorcycle that cost $3500?

City commute? surburban traffic? highway cruising (not likely)? just to be retro/chic?

Because thats what he want's. Not a used bike, not a torque-converter driven scotter, but a 5 speed fuel injected Sukuzi.

And I would never trust my life to a chinese powered anything.

Jim T.

cat0020 10-31-2008 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim T. (Post 122915)
Because thats what he want's. Not a used bike, not a torque-converter driven scotter, but a 5 speed fuel injected Sukuzi.

Jim T.

It's fine if that is what he wants, but $3500 for a brand new 250cc single cylinder retro looking 5 speed motorcycle is not cost effective (not to mention the extra meterials it requires to produce) when one could easily find used motorcycles that are superior in performance and less in cost.

You life already depend on Chinese made products.. powered or not, you just don't realize it yet.

Minicity 10-31-2008 06:29 AM

I like it. I would paint it another color since it is only available in red though.

GasSavers_SD26 10-31-2008 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat0020 (Post 122941)
It's fine if that is what he wants, but $3500 for a brand new 250cc single cylinder retro looking 5 speed motorcycle is not cost effective (not to mention the extra meterials it requires to produce) when one could easily find used motorcycles that are superior in performance and less in cost.

You life already depend on Chinese made products.. powered or not, you just don't realize it yet.

Used entry sized motorcycles don't go down much in value. Even over a twenty year period. Go find a 20 year old 250cc Honda Rebel, and I bet that used you'd pay half or more of current retail. That's cost effective.

Next, there is an actual warranty for manufacturers defects with a large dealer network. The Chinese manufacturers really don't have that. I will sat that I believe some parts for Japanese motorcycles are getting made in China, etc.

Finally, it's what he wants.

cat0020 10-31-2008 07:13 AM

Thread starter didn't specify that he wants a entry sized motorcycle.

Both of my 600cc+ motorcycles were purchased (this month) less than $2200 each.. and when time comes (next spring) to sell them, I'm likely to get over $2000 on each of them.

Come to think of it, even my car cost less than $2000 to purchase and fixed up.

Warranty means little to me since I pretty much do most if not all the maintenance/repairs myself.

GasSavers_SD26 10-31-2008 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat0020 (Post 122952)
Thread starter didn't specify that he wants a entry sized motorcycle.

Does that matter? It is what he wants, and that's how that bike has been marketed and resold. That includes Honda Rebel's, Ninja 250's, Buell Blast's, etc. Still makes it a great commuter bike.

For him, FI seems to be what's swaying his purchase. But he's neither you nor I.

cat0020 10-31-2008 09:34 AM

I guess it doesn't matter if cost is not a consideration for the purchase of a motorcycle. I consider most member who post on this forum to be cost (and material) conscious since we are gas savers and try to be fuel efficient (and use less material by buying used).

BTW, Honda Rebel (MSRP $3200), Ninja 250 (MRSP $3500, likely to be found for under $2000 used), they are twin cylinder motorcycles, they will likely last longer than a single cylinder Buell Blast or Suzuki TU250.

GasSavers_SD26 10-31-2008 09:48 AM

Wear more on a twin 250 vs a 250 single? Or vs a 500 single? Not sure why you'd decide to through that out. If you have data that supports facts that more cylinders generates durability, I'd like to see it.

And yes, anything can be had for too little money based on a seller's desire to move a product or, neglect. Yes, you can get an '86 Rebel for less than $2k, but with a KBB of just under $1500, a set of tires, a carb cleaning, peace of mind, AND warranty are actually valuable opportunities for many that add up and can far exceed the difference in cost for new.

Nothin' like trying to fix your "deal" on the side of the road or calling your friend or your mom to give you a ride.

And it still doesn't come with FI.

Good day!

cat0020 10-31-2008 10:12 AM

Engine reving any rpm, a twin cyclinder engine, each cylinder would have 1/2 the cylinder movement than a single cylinder engine.. less ring wear, less cylinder wear, less topend wear... seems to me common sense.. Have you ever ridden a single cyclinder engine bike at 8000 rpm?

Like I said before: FI, warranty.. those are not consideration when I purchase used bikes. IMO, FI is not that much better than carb.. warranty is there only to get someone to buy new or feel warm and fuzzy prior to the purchase, when something goes wrong while you're riding, you're screwed just the same. I do the work myself so I know things are done right and proper so there is no need for warranty. Learning a skill of finxing things yourself is no that difficult, I started from zero as anyone else and it is something that no one can take away from you.

Sludgy 10-31-2008 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat0020 (Post 122976)
Engine reving any rpm, a twin cyclinder engine, each cylinder would have 1/2 the cylinder movement than a single cylinder engine.. less ring wear, less cylinder wear, less topend wear... seems to me common sense.. Have you ever ridden a single cyclinder engine bike at 8000 rpm?

Like I said before: FI, warranty.. those are not consideration when I purchase used bikes. IMO, FI is not that much better than carb.. warranty is there only to get someone to buy new or feel warm and fuzzy prior to the purchase, when something goes wrong while you're riding, you're screwed just the same. I do the work myself so I know things are done right and proper so there is no need for warranty. Learning a skill of finxing things yourself is no that difficult, I started from zero as anyone else and it is something that no one can take away from you.

Lots to talk about here:

The Suzuki is cammed for low RPM torque. At comfortable driving rpms, say 4000 rpm, its piston rings are probably going slower than a high strung Ninja 250 twin at 6000 rpm. I can't see any difference in piston or ring life.

Carbed engines usually run rich. Especially if they're equipped with a manual choke like my Honda 2002 XR650L thumper. In cold weather I often have to drive 3-5 miles before the engine warms up enough to keep it from stalling when I let out the clutch. This hurts my commuting mileage. Then it gets better mileage IF I remember to take the choke off. Best tanks are only about 55 mpg.

I'm all for a closed loop FI thumper. It will get better mileage than a carbed bike in the real world. Just look at the mileage of the new FI 883 Harleys. They're rated better than my Honda.

The Suzuki GZ250 had a claimed mileage of >80 mpg. This new 250 with FI should get a lot better mileage. Do I hear 100?

If anybody can report real world mileage over 100, I'm going to trot down to my local Suz dealer and trade in my old red beast.

jeep45238 10-31-2008 01:22 PM

All I know about bikes is the Buell Blast is extremely tempting, and would be a cake candidate for a megasquirt EFI system. Cheap reliable EFI for pretty much every vehicle out there.

Jim T. 10-31-2008 01:53 PM

cat0200, you just don't get it. That is what he wants, not you or I or anyone else. Just him. He doesn't want used. Get over it already. You and I may love working on older bikes but that doesn't mean he does. Sure he can learn how to work on one, but maybe he doesn't want to. GIVE IT A REST!:rolleyes:

Jim T.

cat0020 10-31-2008 03:50 PM

How about you give it a rest? I don't assume of your position.
I merely stated my opinion of the Suzuki TU250, and asked some questions about its cost effectiveness. What have you offered in this thread Jim. T?

https://www.suzukicycles.com/images/P...0/TU250XK9.jpg

$3500 for a 250cc fi thumper with a rear drum brake, non-adjustable suspensions, 5-speed, (looks to be like) non-radial tubed tires.. somehow I don't see this thumper capable of cruising comfortably with highway traffic at 70 mph for extended period of time like the Rebel or Ninja 250.

What is the fuel mileage of the new FI 883 Harleys?? as good as my $1699, 250cc carbed Chinese scooter?

GasSavers_SD26 11-01-2008 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat0020 (Post 122976)

When one cylinder moves in a multi, the others move too. And there's more surfaces available for wear and support of bearings, etc.

QDM 11-01-2008 02:56 AM

Looks like a nice commute bike. The standard design is still my favorite for comfort. The single cylinder engine has fewer moving parts than a twin and maintenance should be easier. It's probably made in China and there's nothing wrong with that. Even BMW is having some of their engines built in China.

Q

Jim T. 11-01-2008 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat0020 (Post 123016)
How about you give it a rest? I don't assume of your position.
I merely stated my opinion of the Suzuki TU250, and asked some questions about its cost effectiveness. What have you offered in this thread Jim. T?

https://www.suzukicycles.com/images/P...0/TU250XK9.jpg

$3500 for a 250cc fi thumper with a rear drum brake, non-adjustable suspensions, 5-speed, (looks to be like) non-radial tubed tires.. somehow I don't see this thumper capable of cruising comfortably with highway traffic at 70 mph for extended period of time like the Rebel or Ninja 250.

What is the fuel mileage of the new FI 883 Harleys?? as good as my $1699, 250cc carbed Chinese scooter?

I didn't "assume" on your position, it was very clear from your first post. You started ragging on the OP about all sorts of irrelivent bs, none of which the OP asked for. It's right here for all to see.

Jim T.

and BTW I like thumpers too.

cat0020 11-01-2008 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD26 (Post 123049)
When one cylinder moves in a multi, the others move too. And there's more surfaces available for wear and support of bearings, etc.

I've ridden thumper dirt bikes, rebuilt topends on them every season due to the sustained high rpm engine operation, seen first hand what cylinder head/rings damage look like when you sustain high engine rpm. Bearing damage, not so much..

Twin cylinder engine do not suffer the same heat related type damage as a thumper engine at sustined high rpm engine operation.

Again, have you ridden a thumper at 8000 rpm for any sustained amount of time?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim T. (Post 123061)
I didn't "assume" on your position, it was very clear from your first post. You started ragging on the OP about all sorts of irrelivent bs, none of which the OP asked for. It's right here for all to see.

Jim T.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim T. (Post 122996)
cat0200, you just don't get it. That is what he wants, not you or I or anyone else. Just him. He doesn't want used. Get over it already. You and I may love working on older bikes but that doesn't mean he does. Sure he can learn how to work on one, but maybe he doesn't want to. GIVE IT A REST!:rolleyes:

Jim T.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim T. (Post 122915)

Jim T.

So far, all three of your posts in this thread contain assumptions, not only towars me, but also towards thread starter's preference of what he wants.
Would you disagree that at $3499 there are no better performing bikes on the market (new or used) to be better than a Suzuki TU250, am I wrong on that one??

Again, what have you offered in this thread, Jim. T?.. other than trying to make me feel bad and how badly you want to be right?

Jim T. 11-01-2008 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat0020 (Post 123065)
I've ridden thumper dirt bikes, rebuilt topends on them every season due to the sustained high rpm engine operation, seen first hand what cylinder head/rings damage look like when you sustain high engine rpm. Bearing damage, not so much..

Twin cylinder engine do not suffer the same heat related type damage as a thumper engine at sustined high rpm engine operation.

Again, have you ridden a thumper at 8000 rpm for any sustained amount of time?

So far, all three of your posts in this thread contain assumptions, not only towars me, but also towards thread starter's preference of what he wants.
Would you disagree that at $3499 there are no better performing bikes on the market (new or used) to be better than a Suzuki TU250, am I wrong on that one??

Again, what have you offered in this thread, Jim. T?.. other than trying to make me feel bad and how badly you want to be right?

Why would I ride ANYTHING at 8k sustained for a long period of time?
And wether or not there are better new or used bikes available has no bearing on the OP's original post.
I'm sorry if you feel that this was about what's right and wrong, it's not. I've assumed nothing here.:confused:

Jim T.

Minicity 11-01-2008 07:15 AM

I fed my kitty chocolate, Is that wrong?

jeep45238 11-01-2008 09:46 AM

Jesus......start acting like adults. I've seen 7 year olds act more civily.

It's words on a computer screen written by some random person that knows nothing about you, and you're letting them get under your skin for no reason at all. Move on already.

cat0020 11-01-2008 11:57 AM

I posed simple questions in my previous post, appearantly they were too difficult to answer.

My opinion is that $3500 (or less) could be better spent on used bikes that would out perform the Suzuki TU250 as a street commuter.

Minicity 11-01-2008 12:38 PM

I just found out my girlfriend had a sex change 5 years ago. Should I break up with her?

Jim T. 11-01-2008 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat0020 (Post 123106)
I posed simple questions in my previous post, appearantly they were too difficult to answer.

My opinion is that $3500 (or less) could be better spent on used bikes that would out perform the Suzuki TU250 as a street commuter.

And I replied, is it YOUR $3,500 bucks? No it isn't.:rolleyes:
And what part of "Why would I ride ANYTHING at 8k sustained for a long period of time?" did you misinterpret? Your question was irrelevant to why the OP likes the Suzuki TU250 anyway.

You sir are fairly dense aren't you?

Jim T.

R.I.D.E. 11-01-2008 03:24 PM

I like the bike, and certain people have no preception of what constitutes a civilized, rational discussion.

regards
gary

cat0020 11-01-2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim T. (Post 123112)
And I replied, is it YOUR $3,500 bucks? No it isn't.:rolleyes:
And what part of "Why would I ride ANYTHING at 8k sustained for a long period of time?" did you misinterpret? Your question was irrelevant to why the OP likes the Suzuki TU250 anyway.

You sir are fairly dense aren't you?

Jim T.

Actually, my questions could and should be answered by simple yes or no, and you provided no anwer for either of my followng questions:

Have you ridden a thumper at 8000 rpm for any sustained amount of time?

Simple "yes" or "no" answers, please. I will explain the relevence once you've provided your answers. Thank you.

Assumption of me being "dense" isn't necessary, but rather insuting, which seems to be something you do most in this thread.

QDM 11-02-2008 02:15 AM

I've been riding motorcycles for over 40 years and I used to be a motorcycle mechanic.

I have not ridden a thumper at 8000 RPM for any sustained time period. My thumpers all maxed out around the 7000 RPM range with power dropping off rapidly after that. My current 200cc Lifan dual sport also maxes out at around 7000 which is perfect for the way I ride it. Nice wide power band. I have ridden my old CX500 at over 8000 RPM for hours at a time with no problem but the engine was designed for that.

Comparing performance of $3499 bikes is a matter of opinion. Not everybody wants a plastic covered sport bike or cruiser style twin. Some of us like the simplicity, comfort, and looks of a single cylinder standard. Sure you could go faster on a Ninja 250 but not everyone wants to go fast.

Q

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat0020 (Post 123132)
Actually, my questions could and should be answered by simple yes or no, and you provided no anwer for either of my followng questions:

Have you ridden a thumper at 8000 rpm for any sustained amount of time?

Simple "yes" or "no" answers, please. I will explain the relevence once you've provided your answers. Thank you.

Assumption of me being "dense" isn't necessary, but rather insuting, which seems to be something you do most in this thread.

Jim T. 11-02-2008 04:01 AM

Quote:

[Have you ridden a thumper at 8000 rpm for any sustained amount of time?

And AGAIN I'll say why would you? short of a four-stroke motorcross engine there is NO relevence to a 250cc street bike. But I did ride a Sukuki GT185 twin, two-stroke at 8.5k for over 90 miles once long ago. I've riden but never owned a four stroke single. No.

Quote:

Would you disagree that at $3499 there are no better performing bikes on the market (new or used) to be better than a Suzuki TU250, am I wrong on that one???

Is a Ninja250 faster? Probably. Is a five year old SV250 cheaper? Probably. Are either of them a brand new Suzuki GU250 with fuel injection and a warranty? No.

Quote:

Done

Quote:

It was an assumption based on your first post which totally ignored the fact that the OP asked for nothing in his post, nothing. he simply posted up a bike link more or less saying "looky here guys this is neat isn't it?". You went totally off base on your "buy like I do or we'll all die in the earth's impending implosion" rant, or the "why buy new because I always buy used and you should too or we'll all die in the earth's impending implosion" rant.
At that point I was no longer assuming your level of density, It was verified.
Besides I bought two used bikes this year so that makes up for the OP buying one new one right?;)

Jim T.

Philip1 11-02-2008 04:04 AM

better performing 250cc standard bikes. I honestly can't think of one, the honda nighthawk 250 is a standard but with no disk brake to be found I hardly think it would equal the tu250. If we are comparing class to class this is the best in it's class if you want to lump all 250's together then go ahead but that is an unfair comparison. Look at 250 standard bikes side by side and this one would be the better bike.

POWER
nighthawk has a 234cc engine
tu250 has a 249cc engine

SAFETY
nighthawk has drum brakes front and rear
tu250 has Disk front drum rear
then we get into ease of operation
nighthawk has a carburetor (just one for both cylinders)
tu250 has EFI (no choke to mess with no float bowl and fewer moving parts)

finally cost NEW for NEW
night hawk cost's $3699
tu250 cost $3499
$200 cheaper than a lesser competitor
I can see why the OP likes the tu250

cat0020 11-02-2008 10:40 AM

What would you think the engine rpmrange would be the little TU250 to keep up with traffic on highways up to say, 70 mph?

Why limit a $3499 bike purchase to 250cc or below?

My 2001 Suzuki Bandit 600 was purchased at $1800
My 2002 SV650 was purchased $2100
Both bikes purchased from Craigslist this past month, both out perform TU250 and seems to me far better purchase, too.

Reliable used bikes that do not need warranty and out perform a Suzuki TU250 are plenty available at less than $3499.

R.I.D.E. 11-02-2008 01:43 PM

Hey Cat, do you need to post the same information twice?

"Outperform"

You assume that is what the OP wants, and you are wrong.

Your used bikes loose the economy comparison, so they do not outperform his choice.

You assume the OP wants what you want, and again you are wrong.

You assume the OP wants to deal with used and take his chances. Again you are wrong, he made it obvious he had already made his decision, and could afford the price.

I have owned bikes that would eat your choices for lunch. Does the fact that I paid less than you did make me right. I guess using your standards, it does.

regards
gary

cat0020 11-02-2008 03:06 PM

Wrong I could be, but I also spent less money for highway capable motorcycle that more than likely out brakes and out acceerates Suzuki TU250...

Fuel economically is TU250 going to get better milage than 50 mgh at highway speed? I doubt it.

Tell me, what kind of motorcycle have you seen eaten another for lunch? I've never seen motorcycles eating each other.

R.I.D.E. 11-02-2008 03:09 PM

And your CO emissions are probably 5 times the FI bike.

regards
gary

cat0020 11-02-2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. (Post 123191)
And your CO emissions are probably 5 times the FI bike.

regards
gary

3 times at the most, 5 times, not likely unless I have 1250cc displacement... but my operating time will likely be shorter for traveling the same amount of given distance... less operating time, less emissions.

If you really want less emission, burn calories, not oil..pedal a bike.