Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Veterans Day (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/veterans-day-10345.html)

shatto 11-05-2008 10:24 PM

Veterans Day

Then there were us.
We were the ones who were drafted or enlisted or, like me volunteered for the draft and were taken.
We were in all branches of the military and served in every capacity all over the world, all adding our tiny part to the sum-total of America's containment and ultimate destruction of Communism.
We returned from Germany, Korea, Viet Nam and places only we ever heard of.
We were told not to wear our uniform when we returned to civilian life.
We were spat upon, cursed and called 'baby-killer' and worse.
We were ignored.
Many of us were destroyed by how our own people treat us.
Most of us do as Soldiers always do, quietly endure and build a life.

theholycow 11-06-2008 04:25 AM

Thank you. Your contemporaries who didn't go may not have appreciated you, but there are many of us in the younger generations who still do.

T.P. 11-06-2008 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shatto (Post 123442)
Then there were us.
We were the ones who were drafted or enlisted or, like me volunteered for the draft and were taken.
We were in all branches of the military and served in every capacity all over the world, all adding our tiny part to the sum-total of America's containment and ultimate destruction of Communism.
We returned from Germany, Korea, Viet Nam and places only we ever heard of.
We were told not to wear our uniform when we returned to civilian life.
We were spat upon, cursed and called 'baby-killer' and worse.
We were ignored.
Many of us were destroyed by how our own people treat us.
Most of us do as Soldiers always do, quietly endure and build a life.

I salute you, my fellow Bay Area Veteran:thumbup:

bowtieguy 11-06-2008 08:53 AM

be of good cheer, you are the protectors of even those that curse you. for what reward do you have, to love those that love you?

doing what's right, sometimes is not what is popular!

GasSavers_BEEF 11-06-2008 05:04 PM

freedom is truely not free.

most of us enjoy the freedom that others have fought for and had very little to do with it ourselves. I fall in that category myself.

our military (all branches) has a very dificult role to play. whether they agree with the orders or not, they must go through with them. by doing so, they make our country a stronger and safer place for all of us to live.

I have never been in the military but know many people that have served. one thing I can say above anything else is that they never get the gratitude that they truely deserve.

this veterains day, I am going to thank a veterain. hopefully someone that I don't know and that doesn't know me, so that they know that we appreciate what they do and the role they have taken in our country.

god bless america and god bless our troops.

Jay2TheRescue 11-06-2008 05:42 PM

I never was actually in the military. I have a birth defect in my feet and I'd never pass a military physical because I can't walk "properly". I did serve our country in other ways though. I volunteered and drove an ambulance for 10 years, and I also worked as a civillian employee of the USMC for 10 years.

I do truly respect those that did (and those that continue) to serve.

Happy veterans day.

-Jay

bowtieguy 11-07-2008 12:45 PM

remember remembering...

https://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=3548

GasSavers_GasUser 11-07-2008 03:05 PM

From one Veteran to all other Veterans, I salute you and thank you all for your service.

I especially salute those that gave up all their tomorrow's so the rest of us may enjoy freedom.

Sorry that I missed this thread before.

skewbe 11-08-2008 08:45 AM

FYI, veterans day is Nov 11th. But of course you might want to get your shopping done early.

shatto 11-08-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skewbe (Post 123629)
FYI, veterans day is Nov 11th. But of course you might want to get your shopping done early.

WaaaaaaHaHaHa!