Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   how often do you check your tire pressure? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/how-often-do-you-check-your-tire-pressure-10350.html)

guest001 11-06-2008 04:04 PM

how often do you check your tire pressure?

I check mine maybe once a month or once every two months. it doesn't seem really drop that much really even within a 2 month period.

do you just add it into your oil change route, or what?

Jay2TheRescue 11-06-2008 04:47 PM

I usually check once a month. I never really lose pressure though.

-Jay

Ratman667 11-06-2008 04:53 PM

i check mine about once a week. my valve stems are rated for 40 psi and i run 45... i lose about one or two psi a week. next payday, im just gonna break down and buy high pressure stems... before anyone says anything about there being a nail or something, all four are at about the same pressure every time, so if it is a nail, its in all four and leaking evenly. plus i work on about 20 or more cars a day and have to inspect all the tire on them. If you add that up, thats a lot of tires.

jeep45238 11-06-2008 06:10 PM

2-3 times a week, in the mornings before the sun hits the car when it'sout on the street. I keep mine at 50 psi.

guest001 11-06-2008 06:50 PM

wow, 50psi. I'd be curious if you actually lost mileage by going down to what the manufacturer recommends. seeing how your only getting 35. which is about what I get with stock tire pressure.

jeep45238 11-07-2008 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest001 (Post 123503)
wow, 50psi. I'd be curious if you actually lost mileage by going down to what the manufacturer recommends. seeing how your only getting 35. which is about what I get with stock tire pressure.

I have to park on the street, so my warm up times, thus fuel consumption, are really effected by temperature changes. It doesn't help that I have a helluva long downhill right about where the engine gets warmed up, and I loose anywhere from 5 (warm day) to 20*F+ engine temp (cool day).

The last tank I also had the AC going full blast since I was in a suit for most of the tank due to interviews - not going to leave a bad first impression from a sweat soaked suit.

Tack in that it's about 50/50, if not more city driving, and I'd say 35 isn't too shabby ;) I've had a tank at almost 40mpg combined, and this tank so far is looking like it'll be pretty close as well unless if I get a phone call for an interview.

P.S. - my mileage did go up when I upped the pressure, so I already know the answer to that. The pressure is going down as soon as snow starts coming in though. Having a slipping clutch, and running 10W40 to keep engine rattles from a worn crank/bearings at bay sure doesn't help things either.

R.I.D.E. 11-07-2008 03:59 AM

I had mine at 40 and had not checked them in a while. They were all at 35 (new tires). My mileage has dropped a lot lately. Almost all highway driving with little chance to do any hypermiling techniques. That being said I did manage to get the newer EPA highway rating for my VX, of 50 MPG.

At 42k miles I just replaced the original (15 year old) spark plugs. I thought it might be trouble with the time they have been there, but they actually did not seem to be torqued down that much at all.

Set the tire pressure at 43 (max sidewall is 44). Maybe that and the new plugs will get me back in the 50's until winter sets in with colder temps.

regards
gary

guest001 11-07-2008 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. (Post 123510)
I had mine at 40 and had not checked them in a while. They were all at 35 (new tires). My mileage has dropped a lot lately. Almost all highway driving with little chance to do any hypermiling techniques. That being said I did manage to get the newer EPA highway rating for my VX, of 50 MPG.

At 42k miles I just replaced the original (15 year old) spark plugs. I thought it might be trouble with the time they have been there, but they actually did not seem to be torqued down that much at all.

Set the tire pressure at 43 (max sidewall is 44). Maybe that and the new plugs will get me back in the 50's until winter sets in with colder temps.

regards
gary

spark plugs are only torque down to about 1/4 turn or 13lbs.

dkjones96 11-07-2008 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest001 (Post 123540)
spark plugs are only torque down to about 1/4 turn or 13lbs.

Especially on an aluminum head!

And on-topic:

Whenever I notice the side wall of any given tire flexing too much. Probably been a good 6 months.

Ford Man 11-07-2008 12:43 PM

I've started checking mine during the first week of every month. It's easier to remember when to check them and I also know within a few days of when they were last checked.