Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Gas Tank Swap (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/gas-tank-swap-10355.html)

seeodywhy 11-07-2008 10:04 AM

Gas Tank Swap

I am finished my D15z1 swap swap into a 91 HF. It runs like a charm. I however would like to put a bigger gas tank in it. Does anyone know what other vehicles I can take one off of. Can I take one out of an accord or do I have to stick with 88 to 91 civics.

Improbcat 11-07-2008 11:48 AM

Some quick poking around on Rockauto.com shows that the other Hondas of that year appear to have very different tanks. Even the 4-dr & 3-dr civics used different tanks.

I seem to vaguely recall someone asking a similar question a while back(though I could be wrong) and the consensus was that there was no direct replacement. One option if range is a bigger concern than carrying capacity would be to add a fuel cell to the trunk. However that would require custom plumbing & wiring and an axillary fuel pump to either feed the engine directly or pump fuel from the cell to the stock tank.

seeodywhy 11-07-2008 12:32 PM

I have seen posts where people have switched fuel tanks with other civics. I however wanted to go a little bigger. Part places usually wont list them as compatible if they are not an exact match.

GasSavers_BEEF 11-07-2008 12:35 PM

not to be critical but how much range do you need?

I know that the VXs would routinely do 50+ mpg and even if the tank is only 8 gallons, that give you a range of 400 miles as a minimum and there are VX guys on here doing much better than 50.

at the same time, it would be cool to only fill up once evere thousand miles.

seeodywhy 11-07-2008 12:49 PM

I want as much as possible. Within reason. The seventeen or 16 gallon on the accord seems real nice. I would settle with the 13 in a civic sedan.

theholycow 11-07-2008 02:03 PM

If you go too large, the weight of the tank and the weight of all that gas will have a significant effect on your FE.

seeodywhy 11-07-2008 06:25 PM

I got that. I don't think it will make much of a difference. Five or six gallons of gas isn't going to kill the fuel economy.

theholycow 11-07-2008 09:37 PM

Probably not. I'm usually the first to dismiss the effect of that amount of weight on FE, but in a recent thread I was convinced that cars like yours are quite sensitive to it.

GasSavers_BIBI 11-08-2008 06:46 AM

Having a passenger isnt quite affecting my FE, (150 pounds...).

And a question, isnt the 91 model lighter then a regular 92 vx (2100 pounds)?

KU40 11-08-2008 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Improbcat (Post 123550)
One option if range is a bigger concern than carrying capacity would be to add a fuel cell to the trunk. However that would require custom plumbing & wiring and an axillary fuel pump to either feed the engine directly or pump fuel from the cell to the stock tank.

Would you absolutely need an extra fuel pump for the trunk fuel cell? Gravity should do all the work, shouldn't it?