Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   For Sale (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f24/)
-   -   RIDE's VX for sale (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f24/rides-vx-for-sale-10519.html)

GasSavers_BEEF 12-04-2008 07:17 PM

those are all beautiful cars. you seem to have all the luck. I would buy it from you but have no cash (trying to pay off my wife's element).

I feel the same way about my cavalier. it was totalled some where around 2002 I think. I bought it from a guy that owns a body shop. I have had it almost 5 years (5 in april) and have put about 85K on it in that time and would think nothing of taking it on any trip I go on regardless of the distance but yes it is totalled with a salvaged title. if I sold it today I would expect a good price for it just because of the mechanical condition it is in but that one isn't for sale.

good luck to you in the sale of your VX enjoy the insight. not a big fan of hybrids but with the warranty, it isn't a bad deal.

R.I.D.E. 12-04-2008 07:33 PM

Beef, I bought a BMW 2002 for $300 at a salvage sale. It had $1200 in reciepts for work done on it in the last 30 days, before I bought it.

I know why I am buying a salvage car. Now a used car is a different thing altogether.

I bought several that had never had the fuel tank filled. One was a 77 280Z with 325 miles on it. A 99 Miata with 125 miles.

My older brother is still driving a 95 Sentra I bought with 3000 miles. Its been on the road since it was fixed in 1996 and has 130k on it now.

My daughter was nailed in her 93 Sentra backing out of a parking place in her apartments by a gal with no insurance. They gave her $9300 for the car. I bought a rear clip for $1200 and put it on the car. She paid the car off, got $6000 in cash and drove it another 110,000 miles. Sold it for whay I paid for the clip.

Done something like 180 totals since 1973.

regards
gary

GasSavers_BIBI 12-05-2008 05:29 AM

My vx have been rebuilted when it had less then 6k miles on it. Has around 140k miles now and aint feel like a rebuild car.

GasSavers_BEEF 12-05-2008 05:46 AM

that is my point. if the work is done right, the history doesn't matter as much.

mine was put together with junk yard parts and painted over. the fit and finish on mine is rather horrible but it serves its purpose very well. I have done some mechanical work to it because of other issues ( the 2.2 liters are known for leaky fuel injectors, maybe it was just for a few years).

the guy I bought my car from fixed it up for himself just to drive around in so it isn't pretty or neatly done. there again serving it's purpose.

palemelanesian 12-05-2008 06:23 AM

Wow. That car IS a beauty!

Never thought I'd see the day you sold that. Congrats on the Insight.

suspendedhatch 12-07-2008 11:43 AM

Lol!

R.I.D.E. 12-09-2008 02:00 PM

Sold to my friend of 40 years. Thanks for any interest. Actually he offered me 6k if I would give him 6 months to pay in full. I said no problem.

Guys and Gals, its one thing to buy and old car from someone who is selling it for a reason.

Its another thing altogether to buy a car from someone who never intended to sell it until that moron hit it in the rear end.

I have done almost 200 salvage rebuilds, and have found them to be almost as trouble free as new cars. In some cases less trouble.

After 60,000 hours working on cars, I would much rather have a wrecked one with 27,492 miles than any other one with 140k plus, with problem after problem over the next 100 k miles.

Will probably sell the Benz this weekend and drive the Insight for a while. I have owned and sold over 200 cars in 40 years and never screwed with anyone.

regards
gary

Stevo440 12-23-2008 01:45 PM

Just saw this thread, so I guess its to late now? Or did someone change their mind???????

R.I.D.E. 12-23-2008 04:55 PM

Sorry Stevo it's gone.

regards
gary

suspendedhatch 12-25-2008 08:33 PM

If it's a salvage title then no want will want to touch it. And the insurance company will charge you the same rate but then not pay you anything for it. There is absolutely nothing you can do to get the "salvage" off the title. And it's all in the hands of the insurance company that decided to put it there, so don't even bother the DMV about it.

I had a salvage title car as my first car and will never get one again. My g/f has one... no one will even come and look at it and there's no way I would take a lower price for it. So she's stuck with it. It's a nice car but she wants a four door.