Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Question about having no spare tire+jack (Now with a poll!) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/question-about-having-no-spare-tire-jack-now-with-a-poll-10776.html)

imzjustplayin 02-07-2009 06:43 PM

Question about having no spare tire+jack (Now with a poll!)

I noticed that one thing that people do in order to save weight is getting rid of the spare tire and jack, just having a roadside assistance plan instead. There is one thing though, how can the road side assistance do their job unless you don't provide them a spare tire and jack to work with? Do they bring their own tire? Do you pay for that tire? How does this all work? I feel like people have overlooked this scenario and think they're set when they're really not.

Ratman667 02-07-2009 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ************* (Post 128131)
I noticed that one thing that people do in order to save weight is getting rid of the spare tire and jack, just having a roadside assistance plan instead. There is one thing though, how can the road side assistance do their job unless you don't provide them a spare tire and jack to work with? Do they bring their own tire? Do you pay for that tire? How does this all work? I feel like people have overlooked this scenario and think they're set when they're really not.

They tow you to the nearest tire dealer.

imzjustplayin 02-07-2009 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratman667 (Post 128132)

What happens if it's in the middle of the night?

Jay2TheRescue 02-07-2009 09:18 PM

You wait... ;)

imzjustplayin 02-08-2009 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 128134)
You wait... ;)

That doesn't make any sense.

theholycow 02-08-2009 03:12 AM

I have yet to see proof that such a small weight removal will affect FE in anything other than an older Honda Civic, though I suppose it could work in other very light cars like a Metro. (The link in my sig meta thread about weight reduction is a good thread on it with a few reports supporting both sides of the theory.)

On one hand, I can see how it doesn't make sense to go to all that risk for no payoff. OTOH, if I thought there COULD be something significant to gain, I'd give it a try. I haven't had a flat tire in years. If once every 5 years I had to get towed, no big deal; and I rarely drive at night anymore. Also, for common punctures I can fix it myself roadside with a plug, it's really easy.

bowtieguy 02-08-2009 04:06 AM

i'll take the political POV, seeing both sides...

accountability is an issue for me. just GIT R DONE! carry the spare and change a flat yourself; let AAA tow you out of a REAL unresolvable roadside break-down.

on the other hand...

i wouldn't recommend changing a tire on a highway. people don't care to slow down, or even notice in some cases objects on the side of the road. a friend of mine was killed changing a spare by, you guessed it, another driver not paying attention.

so...carry the spare just in case you get a flat, and change it if it is safe to do so. and also what HC said! :p

bobc455 02-08-2009 06:38 AM

I work at a tire store. I see people come in all the time with flat tires and whatnot.

And after reading this thread, even I am considering removing my flat tire!!! (Maybe only include it for long trips?)

Sure would be nice to have some extra trunk space as well...

Jay2TheRescue 02-08-2009 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratman667 (Post 128132)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ************* (Post 128133)
What happens if it's in the middle of the night?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 128134)
You wait... ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ************* (Post 128136)
That doesn't make any sense.

What doesn't make sense? If you're being towed to a tire shop, but they're closed, you have to wait until they open in the morning.

-Jay

bobc455 02-08-2009 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 128144)
What doesn't make sense? If you're being towed to a tire shop, but they're closed, you have to wait until they open in the morning.

-Jay

What he's saying that doesn't make sense is that is a LOT of hassle to deal with, compared with just carrying your spare tire around.

The alternative I'm considering is to leave it all at home in the garage, and have the wife bring it to me if/when I ever do require a spare tire. That way, I don't have to wait until the tire store opens the next day, but just wait an hour for the wife to haul the stuff to the car and drive to meet me.