Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Question about having no spare tire+jack (Now with a poll!) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/question-about-having-no-spare-tire-jack-now-with-a-poll-10776.html)

aalb1 02-09-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 128226)
Yeah, I'd never be able to convince my wife to bring me the jack and spare. A certain other type of jacking, maybe... :D

:thumbdown: Lame [throw]rotten_tomato[/throw]

theholycow 02-09-2009 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeBob (Post 128227)
I was looking at a new Cadillac parked in front of Costco a couple weeks ago. According to the window sticker, in lieu of a spare tire and jack, they gave what amounted to a can of fix-a-flat. Left me scratching my head a bit...

Yeah, that's getting pretty common. I think they got the idea from the success of cars with run-flat tires and no spare, like the Corvette (which started about 10 years ago IIRC). The new Camaro has the space for a spare but the spare itself is optional, else you just get the kit. The Toyota Sienna minivan has no spare and no space specifically for one either; you'd think that especially in a minivan the weight penalty is too small to be meaningful. Smart, Ford Focus, Honda Fit...everybody's getting in on the 'no spare tire' action.

Jay2TheRescue 02-09-2009 02:25 PM

No spare in a Focus? I'll have to double check my dad's next time I see it. He has a (relatively) new 08 Focus that's fully loaded except for leather seats and the "mood lighting" option.

-Jay

thisisntjared 02-09-2009 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 128223)
But then you're gonna hear for the next week how heavy and dirty the tire and jack were, and it got the back seat of her car all messed up, and then you have to spend an entire Sunday afternoon shampooing the carpets in her car...

her car? oh well in that case i would tell her to walk.
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeBob (Post 128227)
I was looking at a new Cadillac parked in front of Costco a couple weeks ago. According to the window sticker, in lieu of a spare tire and jack, they gave what amounted to a can of fix-a-flat. Left me scratching my head a bit...

see i dont like that solution because what if you have a blowout. like the sidewall catches on fire and the tread is completely detached from the wheel.

the times ive had to use a spare, fix a flat would not have worked...

theholycow 02-09-2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 128240)
No spare in a Focus? I'll have to double check my dad's next time I see it. He has a (relatively) new 08 Focus that's fully loaded except for leather seats and the "mood lighting" option.

Could be optional like in the Camaro.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisntjared (Post 128241)
her car? oh well in that case i would tell her to walk.

He meant that she'd complain about your spare tire dirtying her car when she brings it to you because you left it at home.

Quote:

see i dont like that solution because what if you have a blowout. like the sidewall catches on fire and the tread is completely detached from the wheel.

the times ive had to use a spare, fix a flat would not have worked...
:thumbup: I have to use a spare after hitting a pothole or curb that breaks the sidewall or having a tire explode. If it's just a puncture I'll just plug it.

That reminds me, I haven't been carrying a full kit in the VW, just the stuff it came with. I'll have to remember to put everything in it when I start driving it again (soon, if this weather is any indication).

bowtieguy 02-09-2009 02:48 PM

OK!

because none can predict what will be "plugable" or not, anyone that's not MacGyver-like, just carry the spare dang it!

PERIOD!

Jay2TheRescue 02-09-2009 02:58 PM

MacGuyver is a GOD! He can fix anything with chewing gum and a Swiss Army knife...

VetteOwner 02-09-2009 03:10 PM

haha yea,

sigh new cars = teh fail... nearly becomming idiot proof/effort proof

soon we will have turn signals that will turn on by just looking at em!

heck we alreay have rain sensing wipers as if a knob/lever/switch is soooo hard to use! my god! i cant tell when i need the wipers on! EEK WHAT SHALL I DO!?!?!?

Jay2TheRescue 02-09-2009 03:44 PM

A quick note on MacGuyver...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v9sCo7xZK0

bobc455 02-10-2009 12:14 AM

Run-flat tires are HEAVY. In fact I bet they are so heavy, that the extra weight of those tires is the same as just running normal tires and carrying a spare...

-BC