Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Last time you had a flat tyre? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/last-time-you-had-a-flat-tyre-10824.html)

GasSavers_Pete 02-20-2009 03:57 PM

Last time you had a flat tyre?

There is currently a thread debating the wisdom of not carrying a jack and spare tyre.
Not wishing to hijack that thread I have started this one asking when you last had a flat tyre on your vehicle.

For me it was about 11 years ago and it was caused by a brand new wood screw in a carpark where builders were parking their vehicle adjacent to a construction site.

The one before that was around 5 years prior.

Cheers , Pete.

VetteOwner 02-20-2009 04:32 PM

i picked up something last summer while driving, tire was completely flat

brucepick 02-20-2009 04:47 PM

Summer, a year and a half ago.

Jay2TheRescue 02-20-2009 05:31 PM

Currently its been 8 to 10 years since I've had a flat. I had a steel belt rupture inside the tire while going 70 MPH down I-95. I was able to safely pull over and stop, took the spare out, and changed the tire.

Now I've had nails, screws, and other stuff stuck in tires, and had to get them removed and patched, but its never needed roadside attention.

-Jay

swng 02-20-2009 06:27 PM

About 5 years ago. Picked up a nail.

DRW 02-20-2009 08:54 PM

Oh wait, I already voted but...

Do you mean a flat that requires roadside repair/assistance?
Or do you mean any sort of puncture?

I seem to pick up a nail or screw every 3 to 5 years, but those don't leave me stranded, they just leak out slowly. I only had to stop and change a flat on the side of the road once about 18 years ago.

I also drive without a spare tire. Instead I carry a can of instoflate sealer/inflater.

bobc455 02-21-2009 02:18 AM

I've had my license for 22 years and I've never gotten a flat.

I've picked up a nail once or twice, but nothing that I couldn't fix and no need to change the tire.

(Knock on wood!)

-BC

theholycow 02-21-2009 03:22 AM

Probably an average of once or twice per year I have a puncture that doesn't need roadside attention. I had one a month ago, and I remember plugging one in my yard last summer.

I can't remember for sure when the last time was that I changed a tire roadside. It might be 3 or 4 years ago when I ran over a curb near NYC that was taller and sharper than I expected. The tire sidewall was wounded badly but not leaking, and the rim was dented. I was unable to get the lug nuts off, and the only garage that was open was Pep Boys; they did me a favor (thanks guys!) and loosened them, which took quite a lot of time with their biggest impact gun.

Before that (probably 2 years before) I tore a sidewall on a rock wall when I got too close while entering a driveway.

Before that (probably another 4 years) I had a tire blow out on the highway (I was doing 105mph and the tire probably wasn't inflated well).

Somewhere in between those last two, an unexpected difficult-to-see pothole or raised manhole cover (I can't remember) in a construction zone destroyed one of my tires.

Patience and more responsible driving would have avoided most of those ones that I can remember. I'm pretty sure there were a couple more. I have always driven a LOT of miles -- these days I drive less than ever.

kamesama980 02-21-2009 06:09 PM

never had one require changing myself in the...6 years I've had a license. I do have a nail in one of my summer tires that I need to have fixed before I swap them back on but it loses about 20 psi per year (out of 50 that I have it at) so I just check it every month or so. it's also a SSW run-flat.

that being said, I've got a spare in both cars cause I work in a shop and do half a dozen repair or replacements a day.

GasSavers_GasUser 02-21-2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 128851)

Before that (probably another 4 years) I had a tire blow out on the highway (I was doing 105mph and the tire probably wasn't inflated well).

Holy Crap........you are lucky to be here to write about that one.

Now you made me forget what i was going to post.......