Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Is this an unreasonable request? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/is-this-an-unreasonable-request-10862.html)

imzjustplayin 03-01-2009 02:56 AM

Is this an unreasonable request?

I've made it a resolution not to go to the gym unless my vehicle gets 50mpg in the city. To address this issue, I plan on getting a '94-'95 Civic LX 4 Door sedan, replacing the transmission with a VX transmission, putting a D15Z1 engine in and possibly (if necessary) implementing weight reduction measures in order to achieve this figure. If the weight reduction isn't enough and or is too expensive, then I'll implement certain hypermiling techniques such as Pulse and Glide and whatnot.

The reason I have decided this is because the only time I went to the gym was during school since my school was near by, unfortunately when school was out, so was my gym schedule as I could not see myself driving to and from the gym just for the sake of working out. Getting 17-24mpg on the vehicles I have access to makes me not want to go to the gym unless it's on the way. I like going to the gym but everytime I start getting results, I end up stopping due to reasons I feel are beyond my control.

theholycow 03-01-2009 03:12 AM

Is your poll asking if it's reasonable to think you could get 50mpg city with...
  • your '94 Civic LX/VX plan?
  • an imagined model using common technology?
  • an imagined model using any technology that can't be called "hybrid"?
  • anything at all?

My guesses:
Your '94 Civic plan won't get 50mpg city. I think you might get closer if you don't use the tall-geared VX tranny, which would be best for combined or highway driving. Closer ratios would probably be better for city driving.

Common technology in a new model would produce a car that few would buy.

Using any technology not called "hybrid"...maybe straight electric. Or, maybe a small diesel or small 6 stroke gasoline engine.

The most realistic way to get 50mpg is if you take a motorcycle or scooter. If you're going to do that, that means braving the weather, and at that point you could just go for a bicycle ride (or jog or play soccer with your buddies) and skip using any fuel at all while also not having to pay for the gym membership.

imzjustplayin 03-01-2009 03:38 AM

The only reason I believe that I can do this is because the Federal VX's original rating is 47 City, 56 highway while the '89 CRX HF is rated at 50 city 56 highway. So I'd have to believe that I could do 6% better than EPA on the VX despite a modified vehicle that is 200lbs heavier (LX Sedan). I keep reading from posts such as yours that a car with closer gearing in the city would get better mileage but I've yet to see any proof of this as all the vehicles with high MPG ratings all have tall gearing across all gears.

bowtieguy 03-01-2009 03:43 AM

too many variables, not enough info...

i would NEVER put a materialistic goal ahead of my health. i assume you're at least fairly young as you mentioned school(tho you could be an older college student). young people need to start early creating good habits and lifestyle.

i go to the gym because i cannot jog(bad feet) and because there are no safe biking roads near me. besides it's only $30/month and WELL worth it, especially w/ the variety of equipment to avoid getting stale.

the latest research shows that weight training is just as important as cardiovascular workouts. i couldn't do my physical job so easily w/out it(weight training). could you bike to the gym?

theholycow 03-01-2009 04:35 AM

I forgot the EPA numbers were that good. Ok, it might be pretty reasonable after all.

jmf 03-01-2009 04:39 AM

why not get a vx? why the lx conversion?

Jay2TheRescue 03-01-2009 06:37 AM

Thanks BowtieGuy... You said exactly what I was thinking... Your health is most important.

Also consider this... How long would the payback time be on this? Buy another car, and then the costs of modifying it to get your 50 MPG goal? Just drive what you currently have to the gym, or ride a bike.

-Jay

GasSavers_SD26 03-01-2009 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowtieguy (Post 129302)

Agreed. As a result, I will not vote.

It is more than possible.

But with the radical emissions standards and regulations that radical groups have worked for decades to get accepted into policy and law, never.

imzjustplayin 03-01-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

i would NEVER put a materialistic goal ahead of my health. i assume you're at least fairly young as you mentioned school(tho you could be an older college student). young people need to start early creating good habits and lifestyle.

i go to the gym because i cannot jog(bad feet) and because there are no safe biking roads near me. besides it's only $30/month and WELL worth it, especially w/ the variety of equipment to avoid getting stale.

the latest research shows that weight training is just as important as cardiovascular workouts. i couldn't do my physical job so easily w/out it(weight training). could you bike to the gym?

If I could bike to the gym, I probably would though it'd be sort of risky in a way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmf (Post 129305)
why not get a vx? why the lx conversion?

An lx in my area can be hand from $500-$2500 while a VX starts at $4000, so I'd be saving money and I'd be getting what I really want, a car with power windows, locks, mirrors, cruise control, 4 doors and an unexposed trunk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 129315)
Thanks BowtieGuy... You said exactly what I was thinking... Your health is most important.

Also consider this... How long would the payback time be on this? Buy another car, and then the costs of modifying it to get your 50 MPG goal? Just drive what you currently have to the gym, or ride a bike.

-Jay

It's also the environment, saving money on gas isn't too important to me as I don't even pay for my gas. I know people still refuse to believe in global warming but I do and I would feel terrible if my wasteful habits were the cause for the extinction of various species, people losing their homes etc. At least if I were to fix this fuel economy issue I have, I'd be able to with confidence say I did everything that I could in order to cut back on emissions. Another thing I forgot to mention is that I don't want to be supporting the opec cartel.

dkjones96 03-01-2009 07:18 PM

Quote:

$30?!?! I'm getting gyped!

I do agree about not cutting off the gym just because of mileage. I used to have acid reflux, sensitivity to foods, and a few issues related to low blood pressure(dizzy spells, eating excessive amounts of salt just to raise bp) and they are all pretty much non-existent now because I've been going to the gym regularly. My weight hasn't actually changed but my pants fit MUCH better. I'm actually back to the same size jeans I wore in high school.