Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Three Wheel Modification (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/three-wheel-modification-10930.html)

GasSavers_maximilian 03-16-2009 10:24 AM

Three Wheel Modification

I've always wondered what the overall impact would be of modifying an old Geo Metro to have a single rear wheel. Front wheel drive means no powertrain mods. Fiberglass for new panels I suppose. Need to proportion it properly for stability. Be a lot of work so probably not even close to being worth it, but it's entertaining to speculate.

You'd have less weight, but would you have more air resistance from the wheels not being in line? A car with a single driven rear wheel wouldn't need a differential, but that's a slightly different scenario.

thisisntjared 03-16-2009 03:35 PM

i would put that rear wheel back further and make the car tear shaped so it would have much better fuel economy. i would also move the rear wheel further back to put more weight on the front tires, especially for turning as the rear is not going to do anything for body roll anymore....

R.I.D.E. 03-16-2009 05:16 PM

I am actually contemplating the same thing with a 1971 VW karmann Ghia. I have the car, fairly solid but front and rear have rust and bondo. I also have a 600 CC Kubota diesel and a 1000 CC Yanmar, 16 and 25 HP respectively. There are some old 300ZX turbos at my old shop that no one wants.

I haven't decided which way to go with it. My preference would be two of my hydraulic ivt's, one for each rear wheel.

The second would be a single rear wheel because it would only require one hydraulic iv with a trailing arm like a motorcycle and one fairly large rear tire.

The body will be highly modified, to a very aero shape, with a boattail rear end.

In Viriginia if its a 3 wheeler it is considered a motorcycle so it could only have one headlight.

regards
gary

GasSavers_maximilian 03-17-2009 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisntjared (Post 129961)
i would put that rear wheel back further and make the car tear shaped so it would have much better fuel economy. i would also move the rear wheel further back to put more weight on the front tires, especially for turning as the rear is not going to do anything for body roll anymore....

I've always thought a teardrop shape with a driven rear wheel with a rear engine and the trunk up front was an ideal arrangement. You get the teardrop shape and have the trunk's depth for a crumple zone. And no differential required for the single driven wheel.

Can't carry stuff hanging out the trunk, but that's what a trailer (or just renting a truck) could be for.

GasSavers_maximilian 03-17-2009 01:10 AM

Great pictures, theclencher! Any word on how it handles or the new mpg? I'm curious what's going on inside that trunk with the wheel right there.

GasSavers_maximilian 03-17-2009 01:47 AM

At least I know now that the idea is possible. I have a bit of a thing for three wheelers.

GasSavers_maximilian 03-17-2009 02:02 AM

My favorite three wheeler is the 1956 Heinkel Kabine. Sort of a cross between an Isetta and a Messerschmitt. Imagine the crash safety is zero, of course.

https://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/heinkel.html

GasSavers_maximilian 03-17-2009 02:06 AM

How do you think a three wheeler would be in snow? I had a 4wd truck and when operating in 2WD it'd skid a bit when (I assume) one of the driving wheels would come off the ground momentarily. With three wheels you can't get onto two wheels short of going over a jump, could you? I guess a single driven rear wheel would eliminate that problem entirely.

GasSavers_maximilian 03-17-2009 02:17 AM

Hadn't considered the new track angle. I get a ton of snow where I am as well. Mostly I just stay in when it's coming down heavily and stick to the state highways (MUCH better plowed than the town roads). We have a micro-climate in my town that dumps a ton on us. Good for the ski slopes, though!

GasSavers_maximilian 03-17-2009 02:23 AM

Hmmm...Vigilante vs. Kabine. I'm guessing you'd get way more chicks.