Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Extra Vehicle Capacity (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/extra-vehicle-capacity-10937.html)

GasSavers_maximilian 03-17-2009 01:38 AM

Extra Vehicle Capacity

I was reflecting today upon the fact that often people buy cars to handle their maximum requirements, not the typical ones. This mean they spend a lot more money and consume a lot more resources on average. The best solution would be if they bought a vehicle for their usual case and then rented for those few times when they needed more. Perhaps a car company could work out a deal with a car rental agency to offer reduce cost rentals for a period after you buy your car (like six years or 60,000 miles or something) with that strategy in mind. Be a unique approach to car sales, although since the profit margin is better on larger vehicles I doubt they'd go for it.

bobc455 03-17-2009 03:41 AM

Perfect! i wish more people would think this way.

For instance, in a typical conversation with a typical SUV owner, their reason for owning such a behemoth is that they might have to move something big. When I ask how often they take full advantage of all of the space, the answer ranges between seldom and never - but they want it "just in case".

When I ask them why they don't wear a fire suit "just in case", they look at me funny. (okay I don't actually ask this, but you know what I'm saying...)

-BC

GasSavers_BEEF 03-17-2009 04:55 AM

being an SUV owner, maybe we could look at this from a different angle.

instead of renting this vehicle, have it as a 2nd or get one that meets the needs with less damage done.

mine is a honda element which routinely gets mid 20's which isn't a terrific number but an SUV with a 4-cyl is sometimes hard to come by. especially ones that actually have the power to do what they claim.

mine has a class 1 hitch on the back as well (my towing capacity is only 2k lbs). I have also moved three times with it and the people I help move with it are amazed by the space.

depending on how many times you would rent a truck (or other vehicle) it would actually pay for itself to own one as long as you have a place to sit it.

mine isn't completely a single purpose vehicle. I was thinking hard on getting a smart car or a yaris and then the economy took a dump so I am sitting quietly with my paid off cars until all this mess settles. hopefully when the economy recovers I will still have my job and then buy a 3rd vehicle for my wife's everyday commute.

R.I.D.E. 03-17-2009 04:59 AM

I actually have the opposite problem. The Insight has a 385 pound capacity.
My solution is to carry less fuel when my buddy and I travel. He weighs 230 and I weigh just under 200. I can still go 250 miles on half a tank of fuel and our trips are less than 300 miles total.

regards
gary

GasSavers_maximilian 03-17-2009 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 130012)
instead of renting this vehicle, have it as a 2nd or get one that meets the needs with less damage done.

A perfectly valid strategy if you have the money and parking space. (lack of tone and inflection note: not intended as sarcasm)

trollbait 03-17-2009 05:39 AM

Quote:

depending on how many times you would rent a truck (or other vehicle) it would actually pay for itself to own one as long as you have a place to sit it.
This all depends on what state you're in. I know with insurance in Pa and NJ that it's usually cheaper to rent than let a third vehicle sit most of the time.

GasSavers_BEEF 03-17-2009 07:14 AM

my solution, though it isn't perfect, is much better than the soccer mom that drives the yukon XLT with her two kids that would fit in my cavalier easily.

I tend to use the capacity of my SUV quite a bit. once a month would be on the conservative side. I could have possibly gotten away with getting a station wagon of some sort instead to do a similar job but I mostly bought it because it is a honda and I intend to keep it until it falls apart. my goal is that the next owner of both of my vehicles will be a junk yard (because all of the usable life has been used out of them).

I think it is a valid point that most SUV drivers could get away with driving much less than what they are. depending on how much you use it for, the 2nd or 3rd vehicle concept may work well.

renting (there again, depending on your level of use) could work out as well.

GasSavers_maximilian 03-17-2009 08:02 AM

Renting as it is done now is kind of a hassle, although renting the delivery truck at Home Depot is pretty easy. I live in the middle of nowhere, so renting isn't much of an option, regrettably. Having a friend who'll lend you their truck once in a while is the local equivalent, I guess.

GasSavers_BEEF 03-17-2009 08:13 AM

yea but someone has to have the truck.

I found myself, quite a few years back, as the friend with the truck. almost everyone has a friend with a truck. I didn't, and then it hit me, I'm that friend with the truck.

GasSavers_maximilian 03-17-2009 08:27 AM

I go with a trailer now. Lower to the ground so it's easier to load than my old truck was. Carries wider things easier as well. I'm finally good at backing up with the damn thing. Reminds me I need to replace its signal lights with LEDs!