Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Tiny ODBII Engines (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/tiny-odbii-engines-10944.html)

GasSavers_maximilian 03-18-2009 12:05 PM

Tiny ODBII Engines

Last summer I looked into what it would take to make a go-kart street legal here in Vermont. The big stumbling block was the requirement for an ODBII engine. Anyone know of small ODBII engines? Thanks.

GasSavers_BEEF 03-18-2009 12:11 PM

do you mean OBD2?

I think that the 3 cyl metro engine was made after 96 making it obd2 compliant. I had one but it was a 93. those things were 1 liter displacement. I think those are the smallest ones. I may be wrong.

GasSavers_maximilian 03-18-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 130120)
do you mean OBD2?.

Sorry, Roman numerals. 1 liter? That's pretty big for a go-kart! I pretty much figured it's unlikely that anything not in a production car would be equipped with ODB2 (better? hehe).

theholycow 03-18-2009 02:27 PM

Why would a homemade car be required to have OBDII? Are you absolutely sure about that law?

GasSavers_maximilian 03-18-2009 02:59 PM

Vermont doesn't seem to have any special provisions for homemade cars at all. I had an email conversation with someone at the DMV about it and everything. It was very disappointing.

A lot of quirky things here. They beefed up the septic system engineering requirements BEFORE updating the list of state approved systems a few years ago. Meant that a lot of properties were left with no way to install any form of septic system. Boneheaded.

theholycow 03-18-2009 03:07 PM

AFAIK, OBDII is only required on mass-produced 1996+ cars. A homemade car should be exempt.

GasSavers_maximilian 03-18-2009 03:15 PM

I mentioned that to the guy and he said it would include any home built as well. Maybe he just didn't know what he was talking about! That would be fantastic! I'll contact them again. I had all but given up on this project. Thanks for the hope!

theholycow 03-18-2009 03:23 PM

https://www.leg.state.vt.us/statutes/...s.cfm?Title=23

GasSavers_maximilian 03-18-2009 03:30 PM

I went here for my info last summer:

https://www.dmv.state.vt.us/INSPECTIO...Inspection.htm

Which vehicles will be required to be checked?

1996 and newer vehicles having a gross vehicle weight rating of 8,500 pounds or less must have their OBD systems checked.

The DMV worker I talked with interpretted that as ALL vehicles, including homemade. I'm going to search some more. I also emailed the federal ODB2 guys to see what they say about homemade vehicles. I have a hunch VT is just complying with federal mandates.

GasSavers_maximilian 03-18-2009 03:40 PM

Just re-read the VT inspection manual and it doesn't have anything in it exempting homemade cars. I'll wait on the feds and then go to the DMV with what they say.

VT's definition of a moped requires that it have pedals, even though the pedals are geared such that it's only good for starting! This means that scooters, even if they obey all the other requirements are not counted as mopeds here. Some people register their scooters via mail to circumvent this.

VetteOwner 03-18-2009 08:46 PM

lol fun loopholes, in IL if you use a lets say a 87 s-10 truck frame and build your own body its still classified as an 87 s-10, OR depending on what engine you use must comply with that years standards if you make a frame.
so if u find a 30 year old 4 banger (alot of the time people use old air cooled VW engines, light cheap, parts everywhere and plenty of power and bolt on power kits available for a dunebuggy/sandrail type vehicle)

as long as it complies with IL vehicle codes (bumpers lights reflectors tires, etc) then it can be licensed

GasSavers_BEEF 03-19-2009 04:31 AM

maxi,

originally you posted ODBII. I was comenting on the on the ODB part not the 2 or II part.

GasSavers_maximilian 03-19-2009 04:35 AM

Oh! I didn't even notice.

GasSavers_TomO 03-19-2009 07:02 AM

How about using a motorcycle engine if you you must use an OBD2 compliant engine?

GasSavers_maximilian 03-19-2009 07:04 AM

I did not know motorcycle engines had OBD2. I am surprised!

GasSavers_BEEF 03-19-2009 08:19 AM

wait a minute. if it is a motorcycle then it has a different set of rules to follow.

anything under 4 wheels is a motorcycle so just make a trike.

or buy one. www.wildfirevehicles.com (I hope that is right)

I actually looked at one. 45 is what they recomend and I don't know that I would want to take one any faster than that.

*edit* dang it, they are still doing stuff to their web site. here is a place to see pics of what I am talking about https://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...6safe%3Dactive

GasSavers_maximilian 03-19-2009 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 130181)
wait a minute. if it is a motorcycle then it has a different set of rules to follow.

I thought we were talking about OBD2 motorcycle engines. VT defines motorcycles as not have any sort of enclosure, so I can't go that route.

GasSavers_maximilian 03-19-2009 10:16 AM

Wildfire, huh? Nifty. Wish their site was working.

The truck one reminds me of the APE.

GasSavers_BEEF 03-19-2009 11:06 AM

if the ape is from india, it may be made by the same company. maybe just different designs a little to appeal to the north american crowd.

dkjones96 03-19-2009 11:06 AM

I wouldn't take that thing over 45. With only one small front tire taking most of the stopping forces I wouldn't be tailgating in it either.

GasSavers_maximilian 03-19-2009 11:14 AM

I like three wheelers with the single in back.

Anyhow, the APE was originally Italian, but they make them in India as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piaggio_Ape

GasSavers_maximilian 03-22-2009 07:39 AM

Managed to find this in the VT inspection manual:

Homebuilt Vehicles: All homebuilt vehicles 1996 and newer registered as a pleasure car or truck must meet all the requirements of the inspection manual, including OBD II. Homebuilt vehicles registered for a special purpose, as listed under definitions are exempt from OBD II, but must still include at a minimum; adequate tires, brakes, fuel and exhaust systems.

Having trouble finding the alluded to "special purpose" definition. The manual is sort of vague in a lot of places, which is making it tough to piece it together.

GasSavers_maximilian 03-22-2009 07:43 AM

There is a section on "specialized vehicles", which MAY be what they meant by "special purpose".

SECTION 13 – SPECIALIZED VEHICLES

Registration may be required on a variety of vehicles, such as bucket loaders, road making appliances, highway building equipment, tractors and others. The act of registration requires these vehicles be inspected. Due to the fact these vehicles are not equipped with passenger carrying facilities and often not for nighttime use, the complete requirements need not be met unless the vehicle came so equipped. However, these vehicles must meet these minimum requirements. They must have adequate tires, brakes, muffler, number plate brackets and the complete vehicle be in good mechanical condition. If the vehicle is equipped with lights, they must be of an approved type and in good operating condition.

GasSavers_maximilian 03-22-2009 07:48 AM

There's also a list of "special" vehicles, which may also be what they meant by "special purpose". This is the one I'm putting my money on. I just did a blanket search on the term "special".

�� Type I: Those vehicles which are restored to their original body configuration and which may contain changed steering, brake, power train or suspension systems, and may include "Street Rods", "Replicas of Street Rods", "Replicas" or "Kit-cars".

�� Type II: Those vehicles changed from the recognized vehicle manufacturer's original body configuration but which retain the general appearance, including changes to the body chassis or engine of the original vehicle. This type may also include changes and modifications to engine, chassis, brake system, power train, steering and suspension systems, and may include "Street Rods", "Replicas of Street Rods", "Replicas" or "Kit-cars".

�� Type III: Other than Type I and Type II special vehicles, those vehicles custom built with fabricated parts, or parts taken from existing vehicles.

�� Exhibition: Any motor vehicle maintained solely for use as an exhibit at club activities, parades, and other functions of public interest. (These could include trailers, as well as other vehicles and might be early model or late model vehicles and vehicles of special design; i.e., trick cars, or replicas of railroad locomotives or railroad box cars).

�� Antique: These can be exhibition vehicles as above but need be only a vehicle twenty-five (25) years old or older.

�� Street Rod: "Street Rod" shall mean a vehicle, the body and frame of which were manufactured prior to the year 1949 and which has been modified for safe road use, or a replica thereof which resembles that of an original pre 1949 vehicle and has also been modified for safe road use. For the purposes of this Section "modified" means, but is not limited to, a substantial and material alteration or replacement of the engine, drive-train, suspension or brake system or alteration of the body which may be chopped, channeled, sectioned, filled or otherwise changed dimensionally from the original manufactured body.

Any such modification may be made only if said modification equals, improves or enhances the safety aspects of the original equipment so modified.

�� Replica: "Replica" means a body or frame commercially manufactured which resembles that of the original vehicle or duplicated vehicle and which retains the basic style and dimensions as originally manufactured and whose major components such as grill shell, hood and doors are readily interchangeable with the original component.

�� Kit-Car: "Kit-car" shall mean a commercially manufactured body and/or body and frame which may resemble a regularly manufactured vehicle or whose body may be of a unique design but is manufactured to fit on a commercially manufactured frame.

�� Neighborhood Electric Vehicle: “Neighborhood Electric Vehicle” means a self-propelled, electrically-powered motor vehicle which:

�� Is emission free;
�� Is designed to carry four or fewer persons;
�� Is designed to be, and is, operated at speeds of 25 MPH or less;
�� Has at least four wheels in contact with the ground;
�� Has a gross vehicle weight rating less than 3,000 pounds;
�� Conforms to minimum safety equipment requirements as adopted in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 500, Low Speed Vehicles (49 C.F.R. 571.500).

theholycow 03-22-2009 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximilian (Post 130531)
�� Type III: Other than Type I and Type II special vehicles, those vehicles custom built with fabricated parts, or parts taken from existing vehicles.

Maybe that one...

GasSavers_maximilian 03-22-2009 07:57 AM

I'm going to talk to my mechanic (he'd do the inspecting after all). Good thing he likes me!