Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Tools you keep in the car? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/tools-you-keep-in-the-car-11059.html)

GasSavers_maximilian 04-07-2009 05:53 AM

Tools you keep in the car?

What tools do you find useful to keep at hand? I just have the tire changing gear that game with the car, a pressure gauge, leatherman, some ratchet straps, tiny $1 calculator (for mpg calcs), and a little 3' measuring tape.

Jay2TheRescue 04-07-2009 06:30 AM

Socket set, pliers, VOM, cordless drill, screwdrivers, electric tape, hammer, Cheap $10 Big Lots tow strap, Jack & tools that came with vehicle.

I think I've used hammers the most, followed by the tow strap. When a starter dies you can usually get it to work again (temporarily) by beating on it. After beating on a starter with a socket wrench once because I had nothing better I decided that a cheap hammer was good to keep around.

-Jay

GasSavers_NovaResource 04-07-2009 06:47 AM

jumper cables
tire plugs and tool (I plug my own tires instead of putting the spare on)
small air compressor
tire pressure gauge
small hammer
a few pliers
a few screwdrivers
pair of mechanix gloves
pair of rubber gloves
bungee cords
spare fuses
flashlight
old blanket (to lay on the ground so I don't get dirty)
waterless hand cleaner
shop rags
Band-Aids

GasSavers_Erik 04-07-2009 07:12 AM

Jumper cables, tire plugs, 12v air compressor, socket set with screwdriver bit attachments, hammer, flashlight, knife, bed sheet (to lay on while working on the car) a long piece of stiff wire, 1 gallon of water, 2 quarts of oil, and a complete light duty tow bar assembly (I have already pre-drilled my front bumper for the brackets).

Thankfully I have never needed to use the tow bar...

GasSavers_Lincoln 04-07-2009 08:52 AM

None, I try to keep my car pretty much cleaned out.

GasSavers_BEEF 04-07-2009 09:05 AM

I do the same.

I do keep a spare scangauge cable in the glove box.

dkjones96 04-07-2009 09:14 AM

Wow, you guys keep a lot in your car!

I used to keep a full emergency kit in my car but now I just have the obd2 streamer in the glovebox, laptop in my backpack, my tire pressure guage, my wheel lock socket and the typical jack stuff in the back that's never been used.

Oh yeah, and a pair of ratcheting straps in case I haul something.

Jay2TheRescue 04-07-2009 10:59 AM

Oh, I forgot my jumper cables!!! How could I forget that? Most everything is kept under the back seat and is not seen unless I flip the seat forward to get it.

-Jay

GasSavers_maximilian 04-13-2009 01:40 PM

Just added some more "tools": travel toothbrush, travel toothpaste, and floss. Also started keeping a book in the car just in case. Oh, and a couple bandaids.

bowtieguy 04-13-2009 02:00 PM

a chilele for that ill-timed situation that is not car related!