Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Spring loaded segmented air dam? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/spring-loaded-segmented-air-dam-11071.html)

GasSavers_maximilian 04-09-2009 05:44 AM

Spring loaded segmented air dam?

When I read about optimal air dam heights I cringe because of all the frost heaving around here. One spring I knew someone who would bottom out his DeLorean consistently. Anyhow, what if the air damn were made in sections, each with a hinge and a spring that allowed it to swivel up if a bump were encountered. I figure using flexible air dam materials it would be much harder to get the desired resistance level than using a spring. Also, segments mean replacing worn out sections would be easier. So, sanity check: does this idea have any obvious flaws? Thanks.

GasSavers_maximilian 04-09-2009 06:03 AM

You could also make the air dam extend forward at an angle to get more of a ramp pushing air up effect I guess.

Hmmm...end on collisions wouldn't play nice with that as it swiveled up. Drat. Well, it would be ugly anyway!

GasSavers_maximilian 04-09-2009 06:16 AM

Little wheels on the bottom might help with scraping, but it's probably overkill.

GasSavers_BEEF 04-09-2009 07:12 AM

I haven't had much luck with my airdam. I extended it (probably too much) and saw no gain from it (there may have been a change but not much).

I recently trimmed it down because of scraping. I have heard that a belly pan would help more than an airdam. I was going to do that but the time involved kept me from doing it.

GasSavers_maximilian 04-09-2009 07:13 AM

I've pretty much rejected a belly pan for difficulty reasons. That's one modification my mechanic actually thinks is worth doing. Maybe I'll take another look.

GasSavers_BEEF 04-09-2009 07:24 AM

I had actually gotten a piece of coroplast to do it with. after looking at my car and how I was going to have to get my car in the air, I scrapped the idea. I don't have a lift or a friend with one. one of my friends is planning on getting one in a few years.

the material of choice around here is coroplast but one user used tub surround from lowes. I tought that was ingenious. he has a cavalier and his user name is phlease (I think). he is getting really good mileage. he is my hero (I have a few).

I did think about getting some jackstands but I am cheap.

GasSavers_maximilian 04-09-2009 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 132114)
I did think about getting some jackstands but I am cheap.

Wow. That IS cheap.:) I'm just too lazy.

GasSavers_BEEF 04-09-2009 07:42 AM

maybe lazy would be a better description. I do have two ramps made of plastic that I use to change oil.

I would really just be getting the jack stands to do the belly pan with. I never think about it when I am out and I don't want to make a special trip for them. I also have issues with paying 20-40 dollars (can't remember what they cost) to put on a $20 modification on my car.

GasSavers_maximilian 04-09-2009 07:55 AM

How are those plastic ramps? I have some bright yellow metal ones. Have some plastic fore-ramps that help with lower clearance vehicles (got 'em for free - left behind by a former renter). I'm always nervous driving up those things.

jeep45238 04-09-2009 08:35 AM

Look at the front of most GM cars. Almost all of them have a vertical plastic "air dam" that's spring loaded like you're describing.