Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Car as vacuum source for vacuum forming? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/car-as-vacuum-source-for-vacuum-forming-11087.html)

GasSavers_maximilian 04-11-2009 02:53 PM

Car as vacuum source for vacuum forming?

I once had someone suggest using my car as a vacuum source for a home made vacuum forming machine. Realistically, I'd only use it for large pieces, requiring high volume flow. Use an electric pump (maybe a venturi system) otherwise. Can anyone see any downsides to this idea? If not, any advice on a good way to tap into the vacuum system? Alternately I might just add a tank as a buffer. Charge it up for a big part. Also wondered if a hybrid system might be a good idea: shop vac to get most of the air out and then a smaller flow vacuum pump to get the rest. Thanks for any info/ideas.

theholycow 04-11-2009 03:15 PM

If you're going to do your own vacuum-forming, you should be able to fabricate that trash can you wanted...

GasSavers_maximilian 04-11-2009 03:51 PM

That is precisely what got me thinking about it!

A more immediate way would be for me to find a plastic bin that just fits inside the glove compartment and then hit it with a heat gun.

theholycow 04-11-2009 04:09 PM

I recommend hitting it with a mallet. Use the heat gun to blow hot air on it...hitting it with the heat gun could break the heat gun. :D

Edit: More seriously, if you must hit it, hit it with a beanbag I'd assume.

GasSavers_maximilian 04-11-2009 04:21 PM

Somebody hit you with the silly stick today? First the kittah mechanic... :)

Jay2TheRescue 04-11-2009 05:24 PM

2 problems I see...

1. I don't think an engine will produce sufficient vacuum pressure to properly form the plastic

2. I don't think it will move enough volume of air fast enough before the plastic cools.

Jetta90GL 04-11-2009 06:29 PM

Also the car's computer might see it as a vacuum leak and throw a code at ya.;)

rust collector 04-12-2009 02:45 AM

Well, I guess it would be possible to use intake vacuum, how much time do you have before things start to set?

I used an old refridgerator compressor to make parts for my little toy trains, it did ok, but was kinda slow (low volume).

Is there any way you could keep the plastic hot while "vacuuming"?? just to give you more time?

dkjones96 04-12-2009 11:13 AM

A car AC compressor would make a great vacuum pump. Get it connected to a 5hp engine revved up high and let her rip. If you don't use AC you could tap your cars ac compressor.

GasSavers_maximilian 04-13-2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rust collector (Post 132368)
Is there any way you could keep the plastic hot while "vacuuming"?? just to give you more time?

That's definitely a possibility. Putting the lamps over it while still allowing easy access involves some design work, but nothing impossible. I'm trying to narrow down my choices a bit before going any further. It's warm enough to consider some projects finally.