Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Question on Fuel Treatments (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/question-on-fuel-treatments-11112.html)

bobbart 04-15-2009 09:32 AM

Question on Fuel Treatments

1. Lucas Fuel Treatment as a fuel additive that cleans and lubricates your entire fuel system and upper cylinders, use every fill up.

2. Gumout Regane Complete
Fuel System Cleaner, use every 3000 miles.

I?m not sure which one to use.

Thanks for your input,
bobbarto:confused:

Project84 04-15-2009 10:15 AM

Using Lucas Fuel Treatment I actually recorded a DROP in MPG for that tank, did'nt run it in my next tank and I had an increase from average MPG.

So to test, I ran it every-other tank for about 7 or 8 fillups, sure as anything, when it's in the tank, you get worse FE, the next tank you run your mileage will increase, but only by about 1-2 MPG over average. There is no long term (2, 3, or 4 tanks after the Lucas was used) increase in FE.

If you add up all the pennies it takes to go 2 miles, and add up how much that 3oz. squirt of Lucas costs, it equals out to basically provide no money savings, or even cost you a few cents.

These weren't scientific tests, there was no control, and the routes and average speeds along with ambient temps were all different each tank... but none the less, convinced me enough that it isn't worth it.

bobbart 04-15-2009 10:25 AM

John

What about which one is better for cleaning the entire fuel system,
Lucas or Gumout Regane Complete?

bobbarto

Project84 04-15-2009 10:28 AM

I'd say just do a google search and read other people's reviews. Most people here call products like that "snake oil" and avoid them like the plague. You won't find much in way of wide responses.

zero_gravity 04-15-2009 10:45 AM

you might get a few 'they're total ****' responses - from people like me :D

GasSavers_BEEF 04-15-2009 10:48 AM

does your car run bad? if not, don't worry about it.

most truely are scams

Jay2TheRescue 04-15-2009 12:23 PM

I've used BG 44k and I've been pleased with it.

ecofarmer 04-15-2009 12:37 PM

I read an older article on treatments with my last daily driver. It talked about the amount or lack of treatment in the gas out of the pump. I decided to use Lucas on my old daily driver but only at about one forth of what it called for by the gallon. The first few tanks I didn’t see any changes, but then I started to see 2 to 4 MPG.

Watch what treatments you use and the mix per a gallon. If you are going to use something strong then it’s best to use it 2 tanks before an oil change so the stuff that gets into your oil gets changed out and dose not sit in the oil to long. Some of the treatments can leave a residue on your plugs.

bowtieguy 04-15-2009 01:17 PM

i've not heard any good things about either of those products. and, yes, most are snake oil.

reviews of "people in the know" on the following are good...

amsoil PI
seafoam
chevron/shell/texaco

for a cheap cleaning, some use 90% isopropyl alcohol or 100% acetone(just a few oz please).

bobbart 04-15-2009 01:28 PM

OK...so what's a great fuel cleaner?

OK...so what's a great fuel cleaner?

BG Fuel Injection System Cleaner?
Gumout Regane Complete?

It doesn't hurt to put 4 or 5 bottles into your gas tank per year

bobbart