Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Scangauge II Fuel Economy Challenge (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/scangauge-ii-fuel-economy-challenge-11339.html)

GasSavers_maximilian 05-29-2009 06:07 AM

I had a friend with a DeLorean that had plans for crazy amounts of gauges. He was going to install a daylight visible LCD screen hooked to a mac mini, then do all sorts of weird stuff from that. Already had two monitors for rear view cameras (rear visibility sucks in that thing - along with everything else IMO). The best part was that he worked from home (programmer), so didn't drive that much.

I have a friend and an uncle who've expressed interest in a car computer so I'm going to loan the SG2 to them for a few weeks so they can tune their driving. I have a kill-a-watt that has similarly made the rounds.

GasSavers_maximilian 05-29-2009 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 135405)
if your scangauge is audible, then something is seriously wrong with it. lol

I've actually been trying to figure out a useful audio interface for instantaneous mpg. So far, no luck: they'd all be annoying.

Jay2TheRescue 05-29-2009 06:15 AM

I've mentioned many times over, if you're looking to monitor intake air temps, buy a cheap wireless outdoor thermometer and drop the transmitter in your airbox... I do like the Scangauge though, and I'm glad I bought mine.

-Jay

GasSavers_maximilian 05-29-2009 06:20 AM

Yes, it's a really good idea, and I was going to follow your suggestion, but the process of working out cost vs benefit got me considering all the options, including the SG. If I actually had use for a wireless thermometer it might've broken the other way. As BEEF correctly deduced, however, I was basically looking for an excuse to own a car computer. :)

theholycow 05-29-2009 06:42 AM

The excuse is that it's a great tool...not that it will pay for itself.

GasSavers_maximilian 05-29-2009 06:47 AM

A 6 DOF CNC milling machine is a great tool too... :)

Took me a minute to find this...

https://www.fuelly.com/attachments/fo...0bee9d7a45.jpg

Erdrick 05-29-2009 09:13 AM

My two cents...

The scangauge ii is a great tool for improving your driving habits. It is also an invaluable tool to monitor your car's running parameters and track down problem codes.

I also just enjoy having it.

Plus, you are talking about $160 over 4 years. That is a REALLY small pittance in the grand scheme of things. You will spend about $2000 over the same time period just on internet alone... assuming you pay for your connection.

So... get it if you WANT it.

GasSavers_BEEF 05-29-2009 09:44 AM

I spend $10 a month on internet....GO DSL LITE!!!!

seriously though, I know what you mean. it is a fun gadget, it may pay for itself, it may not.

I put $3k in my truck to make it go faster and in the end sold it for less than blue book (during the $4/gal days). I still enjoyed the truck and don't regret a penny I put into it.

the same can be said for my car but my investment in it so far (gassavings wise) is under the $200 mark and that is including the scangauge purchase.

a couple of interesting toys I'd like to have:

welder
port-a-band (prtable band saw)
pressure washer (stop borrowing mom and dad's)
beater pickup truck
better video camera

I can't justify any of those either.

GasSavers_maximilian 05-29-2009 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erdrick (Post 135433)
Plus, you are talking about $160 over 4 years. That is a REALLY small

You're quite right: even if it doesn't pay it's way, it should be close enough that I shouldn't sweat the difference. I am afflicted with stereotypical Yankee cheapness! Always have been from a young age. My brother's the exact opposite, so I'm thinking it must be somewhat genetic.

GasSavers_maximilian 05-29-2009 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 135435)
I spend $10 a month on internet....GO DSL LITE!!!!

Around here it's cable, dial up, or satellite. Many parts of my town have no cable at all, so I'm actually lucky. $60 / month, though, for spotty service. I keep having to explain to the cable guys when they call that a package deal with TV is not actually cheaper if you don't value the TV part! Tolled local phone service was so pricey here that not needing it (skype) cuts the overall cost quite a bit.

Quote:

welder

I justified getting a wire feed welder by making a rip fence for my table saw (one it came with was useless and getting worse). The ones from Grizzly were expensive and the shipping was like $50. Now I need an excuse to get the gas welding kit for it...

Quote:

better video camera

The way those things are declining in price, I wouldn't worry too much.