Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Suggestions of a GM vehicle that I can get 35mpg in? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/suggestions-of-a-gm-vehicle-that-i-can-get-35mpg-in-11405.html)

GasSavers_Erik 06-06-2009 02:28 PM

A mid-late 90's 1.9l SOHC Saturn SC with automatic trans will get 35+

bri203 06-06-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasUser (Post 136145)
Out of your choices, I would pick either the Cavalier or the Saturn.

You list a Cobalt in your sig. What is wrong with that? You should get 35+ easy in it I would think.

It is a SS, thus being turbocharged and is rated at 22/30 mpg and I have to use premium. I am looking for a cheaper car to use most days. I want something with cheaper tires/brakes/gas etc. My current tires on my SS are $800 and I am will be lucky to get 20,000 miles out of them.

VetteOwner 06-06-2009 06:53 PM

well stop drivin it so hard and tires will last lol. even el cheapo tires have a 40K warranty...

101mpg 06-06-2009 08:26 PM

Malibu Maxx

My wife has a 2004 Malibu Maxx. EASILY can get 38.5 on long open highway stretches. The way she drives it's 27.6 average mileage, I get about 33-35 combined. More cargo room than a Jeep Liberty.

Ratman667 06-06-2009 09:23 PM

I would recommend a 1995 Saturn SL-1 with a 5 speed. My stepdad had one and would regularly get 40MPG with a slipping clutch. I say the 1995 because it still had the OBD-I computer (which sucks for diagnosing a problem, but got better mileage). Plus it was the first year they offered cup holders.

If you wanted to autocross it, while getting decent mileage, I would recommend a pre-1996 Saturn SC-2 with a 5-speed. I had a 1993 and while it was no race car, it had pretty good acceleration through 3rd gear (side note: DO NOT SPIN THE TIRES IN THIS CAR!! You can and probably will destroy the transaxle). If and when I drove mine responsibly, I got mid 30s in it. As far as insurance goes, when I turned 18 and started paying for my own insurance, it was only $56 a month.

theholycow 06-07-2009 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteOwner (Post 136173)
well stop drivin it so hard and tires will last lol. even el cheapo tires have a 40K warranty...

It's the expensive tires that have shorter, or no, warranty.

bri203 06-07-2009 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteOwner (Post 136173)

I know what you mean, but whats the point of owning a sporty car if your going to drive it with lack of excitment. It would be a waste of upgrading to the SS model.

theholycow 06-07-2009 07:23 AM

I can certainly understand that reasoning, but there is something worse: Driving a lame old non-SS economy car with lack of excitement. If you're doing the same driving either way, why bother getting another car for it?

I mean, it's just lame to have a nice car rotting in the driveway while you spend most of your driving time in some piece of crap*. Especially if you're concerned about safety...why not just drive the SS like you'd drive the Saturn, only during the times when you'd be driving the Saturn? The money you save not paying for another car, extra insurance, and maintenance can be spent on gas getting a few less MPG if you don't have the self control.

*: I'm not saying that any particular car is a piece of crap, but it's all relative and people who do that sort of thing (I see them on other forums too) tend to describe what they're driving as a piece of crap.

Anyway, just because you drive for economy doesn't mean you can't have excitement often and speed sometimes. One thing I do to save gas is taking curves at whatever speed I'm already going. On my commute I know my turns and approach them carrying whatever speed I'm going to use. Then I don't have to spend gas re-accelerating after the curve...and I get to enjoy my car's decent handling.

There's a few users here who drive very much for fuel economy, and race the same car in events too.

bri203 06-07-2009 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 136194)
I can certainly understand that reasoning, but there is something worse: Driving a lame old non-SS economy car with lack of excitement. If you're doing the same driving either way, why bother getting another car for it?

I mean, it's just lame to have a nice car rotting in the driveway while you spend most of your driving time in some piece of crap*. Especially if you're concerned about safety...why not just drive the SS like you'd drive the Saturn, only during the times when you'd be driving the Saturn? The money you save not paying for another car, extra insurance, and maintenance can be spent on gas getting a few less MPG if you don't have the self control.

*: I'm not saying that any particular car is a piece of crap, but it's all relative and people who do that sort of thing (I see them on other forums too) tend to describe what they're driving as a piece of crap.

Anyway, just because you drive for economy doesn't mean you can't have excitement often and speed sometimes. One thing I do to save gas is taking curves at whatever speed I'm already going. On my commute I know my turns and approach them carrying whatever speed I'm going to use. Then I don't have to spend gas re-accelerating after the curve...and I get to enjoy my car's decent handling.

There's a few users here who drive very much for fuel economy, and race the same car in events too.

You mention several good points.
Believe it or not but I buy a seond car and issue it as my primary car my insurane will go down!
Chek out... My are is more expensive to insure than a BMW M3, Corvette, or an XLR.
https://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...s-allcars.aspx

theholycow 06-07-2009 05:36 PM

I wish I could get that kind of arrangement. Every car I add only adds to my insurance cost. I don't get any discount for a vehicle being "secondary". I pay and pay and pay, and then I pay more. :(