Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Fuelly Web Support and Community News (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Select on Transmission (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/select-on-transmission-1154.html)

marvin 04-24-2012 10:14 AM

Select on Transmission

A car's transmission has a very significant affect on its fuel economy. Usually manuals are much more economical however there are claims by some manufactures that their DSG or CVT transmissions are better than manual.
The transmission option was added late so few existing users know about it or have set it.
It would be very useful if all existing users were encouraged to update their cars details with the transmission type and for an additional filter to list only vehicles of a particular transmission type.
May also be useful to add DSG and CVT to transmission options.
Also need some auditing of some of the engine choices that are clearly invalid would be good.

pb 04-24-2012 10:23 AM

It would be very useful if all existing users were encouraged to update their cars details with the transmission type and for an additional filter to list only vehicles of a particular transmission type.

Yeah, we can think about doing something like this. We don't want to annoy people, but maybe sending out an email to everyone or putting a banner on people's dashboard as a one time thing would be ok.

May also be useful to add DSG and CVT to transmission options.

We're going to keep it very simple with manual and auto for now.

Also need some auditing of some of the engine choices that are clearly invalid would be good.

With a system where users can select and post data there are going to be inaccuracies. If someone thinks they have a one-cylinder vehicle we aren't going to tell them they don't. If someone chose that by mistake, a note from someone could help them decide to change it. But we're very hesitant to make changes for people, and we need to learn to live with some obvious errors and inaccuracies. This site isn't science, it's just people sharing notes.

zcd 04-24-2012 12:24 PM

give us the option on how many gears too.

pb 04-24-2012 12:43 PM

Like I mentioned, we're going to keep it very simple with manual and auto for now. You can read more on our thoughts about keeping things simple here: Why don't you track more vehicle details?

You can include as much detail as you'd like in your vehicle title and description. So that's one way to let others know more about your vehicle than we track officially.

MatrixDom 04-24-2012 01:04 PM

I think the one time thing is a good idea to really get people to update their car's transmission.

getkaizer 04-25-2012 01:00 AM

Done! This is useful! Also, may i recommend that you include a subset for modifications. For example, I might opt out of factory fitted tires and instead, install low profile tires. Or maybe wide tires. Both these have a noticeable impact on fuel efficiency (FE). In fact, I have a K&N performance stock replacement filter fitted. This probably improves FE.

Further, I might install a turbocharger. This would impact fuel efficiency again.

I understand that these options suggested above calls for a detail study but i am sure this would take a larger audience into account.

pb 04-25-2012 01:40 AM

Those are great details to include in your vehicle description, but we're not going to start tracking modifications at a site level.