Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Ethanol Free Gas Found At Last!!! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/ethanol-free-gas-found-at-last-11583.html)

Jay2TheRescue 07-09-2009 12:58 PM

My vehicles are old, and I'd like them to run for well, forever. I don't think I'm trying Nitro.

hi tech hillbilly 07-09-2009 09:19 PM

Sorry that youre mundane... Just Joshin with you, that was more of a funny post about nitro. I gotta get my jollies somehow here, I get a life and death "thrill" almost every time I drive off of this base!

bowtieguy 07-17-2009 03:27 PM

update:

the good...finally started my experiment by filling w/ non-E10 gas yesterday.

the bad...a couple days before filling, my car started acting up again. feels like a back pressure hesitation. maybe the muffler is shot! FE is surely compromised.

theholycow 07-17-2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowtieguy (Post 138261)
the bad...a couple days before filling, my car started acting up again. feels like a back pressure hesitation. maybe the muffler is shot! FE is surely compromised.

I had a cat so plugged up that I could barely maintain highway speed and it had little effect on my FE.

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 07-17-2009 06:06 PM

To test for exhaust or cat plugging, stick a vacuum gauge on a convenient port, rev the motor to 2500 or so and let off the throttle sharply, if the vacuum drops realllllly sllloowwwly then there's definitely a problem.

bowtieguy 07-18-2009 12:22 PM

thanks guys. the cat is fairly new and the problem is VERY intermitant.

dosco 07-21-2009 09:43 AM

Model airplanes with IC engines use nitro. You probably can pick up nitro at your local hobby shop. I was thinking about it a few years ago for my lawnmower.

hi tech hillbilly 07-21-2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dosco (Post 138419)
Model airplanes with IC engines use nitro. You probably can pick up nitro at your local hobby shop. I was thinking about it a few years ago for my lawnmower.

hmmmm, you have a point there, but it contains castor oil and its for 2 strokes.. my parents used to have a 2 stroke push mower when i was a kid, cant remember who made it....

dosco 07-24-2009 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hi tech hillbilly (Post 138444)
hmmmm, you have a point there, but it contains castor oil and its for 2 strokes.. my parents used to have a 2 stroke push mower when i was a kid, cant remember who made it....

Not talking about glow fuel which has nitro in it.

Am talking about buying straight nitro at your local hobby shop. I can't recall if it was "pure" (so to speak), or some sort of nitro additive for glow fuel. I will stop by my shop in the next couple of days to check.

As far as 2-stroke lawnmowers, you are probably thinking of Lawnboy ... they seem to be popular here in Maryland (I never saw one growing up in upstate NY). I had one for a while after my nice 4-stroke (that I had for 9 years) was stolen. I was happy to be rid of the oily, smokey thing. Gach!! I will probably get lung cancer after having used it ... blue smoke disaster!!

hi tech hillbilly 07-24-2009 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dosco (Post 138612)
Not talking about glow fuel which has nitro in it.

Am talking about buying straight nitro at your local hobby shop. I can't recall if it was "pure" (so to speak), or some sort of nitro additive for glow fuel. I will stop by my shop in the next couple of days to check.

As far as 2-stroke lawnmowers, you are probably thinking of Lawnboy ... they seem to be popular here in Maryland (I never saw one growing up in upstate NY). I had one for a while after my nice 4-stroke (that I had for 9 years) was stolen. I was happy to be rid of the oily, smokey thing. Gach!! I will probably get lung cancer after having used it ... blue smoke disaster!!

oh, my bad i didnt know you could buy "pure" nitro, i was into gas r/c airplanes for a little bit but i just bought what super tiger recomended. Youre right about the mower too and i hated mowing with that smoky pile too, especially 1/2 acre..

Back on task though, i really wonder if methanol and nitro would blend and not seperate, how much does nitro cost?