Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Running Gear (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Civic Front Axle (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f11/civic-front-axle-11619.html)

IndyFetch 07-15-2009 08:33 AM

Civic Front Axle

My brother's 99 Civic Si needs a new RF axle. The outer CV boot is split and he drove it for a while without repairing it. The joint is now worn. I bought a new axle, but have not installed it yet. I have never had to replace one before.

I have a Haynes manual for a 92-95 Civic, and I believe the front suspension should be of the same design.

Has anyone had to replace the front axle of a Civic before? If so, were there any issues besides trying not to destroy the seal on the transmission?

Does it require a spring compressor since the lower control arm must be disconnected?

What size of socket is required to break the hub nut loose?

Can one person (moderately competent) handle the job?

Thanks.

GasSavers_Erik 07-15-2009 09:02 AM

I have done older (80's) civics as well as a few other makes.

You should be able to get a loan a tool socket from a chain auto parts store (autozone etc.)- basically you pay for it and then they give you the money back when you return it. Just match up their pile of sockets with the big nut that is in the box with the new axle.

The transmission seal isn't too hard to protect, just swing the front spindle way out, get the splines of the axle centered in the transmission hole and slowly swing the whole assembly toward the transmission.

To my knowledge, you will not need a spring compressor- you will jack the car up so that the spring moves against it's stops and then jack some more- then disconnect the control arm.

Be sure you have a long breaker bar to loosen the large axle nut. Take off the hub cap and loosen the nut while the weight of the car is still on the tire (this is the first step to the whole proceedure). You will likely need a hammer and chisel to bend out the nut locking tab before you loosen it.

IndyFetch 07-15-2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik (Post 138175)
I have done older (80's) civics as well as a few other makes.

You should be able to get a loan a tool socket from a chain auto parts store (autozone etc.)- basically you pay for it and then they give you the money back when you return it. Just match up their pile of sockets with the big nut that is in the box with the new axle.

The transmission seal isn't too hard to protect, just swing the front spindle way out, get the splines of the axle centered in the transmission hole and slowly swing the whole assembly toward the transmission.

To my knowledge, you will not need a spring compressor- you will jack the car up so that the spring moves against it's stops and then jack some more- then disconnect the control arm.

Be sure you have a long breaker bar to loosen the large axle nut. Take off the hub cap and loosen the nut while the weight of the car is still on the tire (this is the first step to the whole proceedure). You will likely need a hammer and chisel to bend out the nut locking tab before you loosen it.

I can't loosen the axle nut while the weight of the car is on the tire; the wheel will be in the way of the axle nut. I will need to put a pry bar between the wheel lugs to hold it while I crack the nut loose.

GasSavers_Erik 07-15-2009 11:31 AM

I have never seen a wheel like that (maybe your wheel has a center cap that will just pop out).

But your idea should work- the pry bar will need to be strong and be careful that you don't bend the studs.

IndyFetch 07-15-2009 11:48 AM

Aftermarket 17'' Wheels.
:)

jadziasman 07-15-2009 12:20 PM

Do yourself a big favor and swap to your OEM steelies (if you have them) before trying to break the axle nut loose. I'm assuming you don't have air (impact) tools and are trying to use a breaker bar.

I took out the axles on my 92 VX in 2006. I'm not sure if the axles had ever been removed before but it was a real b**** to get those axle nuts off. I needed a five foot breaker bar and I needed to jump on the end of it to loosen each one. You'll probably bend your wheel studs at the least and maybe f*** up the wheel bearing too if you do it the way you're thinking of doing it.

You may have difficulty putting the axle back into the differential. If so you will need to rotate the differential a little so the end will slide in. Hopefully it won't happen to you but it did to me.

IndyFetch 07-15-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadziasman (Post 138186)
Do yourself a big favor and swap to your OEM steelies (if you have them) before trying to break the axle nut loose. I'm assuming you don't have air (impact) tools and are trying to use a breaker bar.

I took out the axles on my 92 VX in 2006. I'm not sure if the axles had ever been removed before but it was a real b**** to get those axle nuts off. I needed a five foot breaker bar and I needed to jump on the end of it to loosen each one. You'll probably bend your wheel studs at the least and maybe f*** up the wheel bearing too if you do it the way you're thinking of doing it.

You may have difficulty putting the axle back into the differential. If so you will need to rotate the differential a little so the end will slide in. Hopefully it won't happen to you but it did to me.

Thanks a lot guys

GasSavers_Erik 07-15-2009 01:02 PM

Maybe you could just put the spare tire on for the loosening step.

jmf 07-15-2009 05:36 PM

I just changed the axle on a 97 accord a couple weeks ago.
I took of the lower ball joint and pulled the knuckle away. Just make sure you tap the new one back into the trans all the way with a rubber mallet. They have a snap ring on the end that needs to pop into place. I put mine all back together and tried it and all the fluid leaked out. It turned out that it was not all the way in even though it looked good.

jadziasman 07-16-2009 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik (Post 138189)
Maybe you could just put the spare tire on for the loosening step.

Now that's using your noodle. Good one, Erik!