Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   What can I do? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/what-can-i-do-11743.html)

theholycow 08-17-2009 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible (Post 139946)
While a new fuel efficient vehicle would be hard to make pay for itself, I did just that.

That statement changes easily for someone who drives a lot of miles.

TCO can also be cheaper. Economy cars can to be cheaper to maintain (tires for my VW cost 1/3 what tires for my GMC cost, for example). If the car is a new car and the old vehicle is not, repair costs can factor in. In my case, having an additional car means if something breaks, a vehicle can sit broken in the yard for weeks while I learn how to fix it a little at a time, rather than pay labor and towing for it to get fixed professionally. (I feel differently about DIY repair when the ground is covered in snow, though.)

trollbait 08-17-2009 08:19 AM

{according to this https://www.fordf150.net/specs/04ranger.php, the AT can tow more than the MT on a 4 cyl ranger?}

That's mostly CYA. The manufactorer has no control over the driving abilities of the person that'll be doing the towing, so with the MT they rate lower.

Greeen 08-18-2009 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowtieguy (Post 139874)
well, you know how that can be an excuse. ya know, "i might need to tow something, sometime."

obviously, unless a load of sod or concrete is being towed, most 4 cyl can fill the need.

Bowtie is right, it is more of an excuse, however I do enjoy the room and use of my crewcab truck, which I can not get in a 4 cyl. In reality if I really had to tow something big, I could borrow my Dad's 3500 GMC Duramax, it usually gets the job done.:D On a side note my truck is a King Ranch edition and I've gotten spoiled driving a nice truck, where most of the 4 cyl. are your lower end trucks.

I appreciate all of yalls comments and suggestions.

bowtieguy 08-19-2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeen (Post 140014)
Bowtie is right, it is more of an excuse, however I do enjoy the room and use of my crewcab truck, which I can not get in a 4 cyl. In reality if I really had to tow something big, I could borrow my Dad's 3500 GMC Duramax, it usually gets the job done.:D On a side note my truck is a King Ranch edition and I've gotten spoiled driving a nice truck, where most of the 4 cyl. are your lower end trucks.

I appreciate all of yalls comments and suggestions.

thank you for not taking that as a personal attack, 'cause that was not my intent--it was just a general comment.

we all have excuses and/or are hypocritical to some degree. behaviors are learned and can be changed. all we can do is try to make small changes a little at a time...

shatto 08-19-2009 05:46 PM

I have an idea. Let's all buy whatever we want because it is what we want, whatever that reason is.

theclencher 08-19-2009 06:00 PM

We comment on it because eh holes solo commuting in Expeditions and Hummers DO impact the rest of us, as a safety hazard on the road and in increased fuel costs due to the increased demand they foster.

shatto 08-19-2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 140105)
We comment on it because eh holes solo commuting in Expeditions and Hummers DO impact the rest of us, as a safety hazard on the road and in increased fuel costs due to the increased demand they foster.

And bumper sticker infested automobiles irritate me, as do people driving while; reading, texting, phoning, driving while asian, and women farding while they drive. Your government should ban that too, so your sensabilities would not be offended?

GasSavers_JoeBob 08-19-2009 07:51 PM

4-bangers CAN tow, but like Holy Cow said, not a 26' camper. When I moved to my current location (18 years ago), I had a '76 Chevy Luv with a 1.8 liter Isuzu engine. I made a couple trips from Long Beach to Lancaster, Calif. with a full load in the bed and a fully loaded U-Haul trailer. Did just fine.

Waaaaaaaaay back in the day, my dad towed a full sized mid-30s Nash from central Calif. back to the Glendale area with a '37 Willys pickup...

But...if you regularly go with your big toy-hauler, you'll want the bigger truck...