Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   What's the best shocks for a 4x4? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/whats-the-best-shocks-for-a-4x4-11901.html)

Jay2TheRescue 09-11-2009 10:09 AM

What's the best shocks for a 4x4?

I've decided its time for new shocks on The Beast.

1998 GMC K1500 Sierra 1/2 ton extended cab 4x4 with the Z-71 off road package.

What I'm looking for is the best shocks for highway use. I rarely go off-road. 4wd is used mainly for poor road conditions (snow, ice, etc) I'm looking for the smoothest, quietest ride and good handling.

When shopping around I see that Midas has Monroe Sensatracs on sale. I have been happy with them in cars in the past, but this isn't a car. Don't know if I'll get the same results.

-Jay

theclencher 09-11-2009 07:32 PM

I replaced my F150 shocks with something that was on sale at the parts store- don't recall the brand.

Doesn't matter, the point is I'm disappointed with the ride quality degradation vs factory shocks; the replacements are much harsher. Were I to do it again I'd spend the money to get as close of an exact OEM replacement as possible. Maybe even the stealership would have them and once in a great while they surprise me by having a part at a competitive price.

Jay2TheRescue 09-11-2009 07:55 PM

Thanks. I don't like doing business with my local GM dealer, I actually bought the truck in the next town over about 12 miles away. I have been very pleased with the service I have received from that dealer as well. Maybe I should give them a call and see what they recommend, and how much it costs.

theclencher 09-11-2009 07:59 PM

IIRC I spent about $20-$25 each for the cheapies. This was several years ago.

I'm about as miserly as it gets, but I'd spend $70 each if it meant duplicating the factory ride. It was soooooo nice when it was new! Now I think about the price premium spread over how many miles they last, it's virtually nothing and IMHO it would be worth it.

I should have pulled those replacements off right away and got the right ones. I figured oh, they are stiff when new and will loosen up over time. Well it's been a long time and they are still harsh. I suppose that's better than too soft though.

Jay2TheRescue 09-11-2009 08:20 PM

I had a bad experience last time I bought shocks. I took Rusty to a local shop and bought the most expensive gas shocks they had. They had replaced the studs in the frame that the shocks mount to improperly, and had rounded out the holes in the frame. When I took it back they did nothing about it. Tried to tell me that the fact that they had not tightened the nuts, (One of the studs didn't even have a nut on it!) and it subsequently rounded out the holes in the frame was a defect in the vehicle's frame... IMHO they should have not even replaced the studs.

theclencher 09-11-2009 09:22 PM

Never had to mess with studs. Maybe weld it all together.

Jay2TheRescue 09-11-2009 09:29 PM

Yeah, I don't understand why they took the old ones out... Then to only thread the nut on the back of the stud a couple of turns by hand so it rounds out the frame... Sufffice to say I've never returned to that shop ever again.

Jay2TheRescue 09-14-2009 12:50 PM

Well, Sears wants about $600 total for all 4, the dealer says that since its a Z-71 it came with Billstein (sp?) shocks from the factory, and that it will be $1,500 for all 4. I'm considering it...

theclencher 09-14-2009 03:03 PM

:eek: Maybe it was more than a few years since I bought shocks... :eek:

Jay2TheRescue 09-14-2009 03:54 PM

I know I will never get a deal like I got on the Hooptie 20 years ago. I got the best shocks Sears sold, with a lifetime parts & labor warranty for about $300. Over the past 20 years I think I got 6-8 free sets of shocks.