Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Great page! lots of good ideas floating around here! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/great-page-lots-of-good-ideas-floating-around-here-11989.html)

Dr. Jerryrigger 10-07-2009 09:19 AM

Great page! lots of good ideas floating around here!

Hello,
I found this page looking up HHO stuff. I was a member of HHOforums, but i logged on threw a public internet connection and they band me from the site for spamming, i guess the IP address had been used for some spamming at some point.
This site seems better, so it worked out for the best.

I'm studding mechanical engineering, and love DIY stuff. The more toggle switches and gauges in my car the cooler it is...

I drive a Subaru Impreza. Automatic, 2.2L. I can get 28MPG with out doing anything (but driving gently and mostly on the highway).

I've tried acetone with some gain; 8-12%, but I haven't played around with it much, yet.

I'm interested in HHO more as a design project than something with that much potential for the internal combustion engine. I interpret the gains of HHO as compensating for fuel injector inefficiencies, a problem with many simpler solutions. But I don't like to make things simple.

I've got some electrical projects planed, like a switch that turns off the fuel injectors, and at the same time sends an everything is normal signal to the computer.

bobc455 10-07-2009 09:56 AM

Welcome aboard! You sound like the tinkering type, and we enjoy that around here.

Personally I dislike disabling the injectors, but I'd be curious to hear your results.

-Bob C.

GasSavers_BEEF 10-07-2009 10:11 AM

I have heard of people using injector kill switches but they were on manuals I think.

one thing that I always like to suggest is a scangauge. it is a large initial investment but being in the EE field myself, I think you would find it fun to play around with. it does only work for 1996 and newer cars but most people fall under that category. it is $160-$170 and most of us on here have at least one.

it tells things like MPG (trip and instantaneous), rpm, mph, gpm, tps, and too much more to list.

www.scangauge.com but they are available elsewhere. sometimes you can even get lucky and find one on ebay used for around $130.

there are other mods but this was my first and usually the first that I recomend to others.

welcome to the site.

theholycow 10-07-2009 05:06 PM

8-12% is a huge gain from acetone. We have a couple acetone users here but I don't think they gained that much. Can you post details?

Dr. Jerryrigger 10-08-2009 06:01 AM

well, as I said i didn't play around with acetone much. So i didn't get a large enough test group to say anything decisive except that there were improvements over all time best mileage of just under 30mpg (55-60 for 350miles with only three tole booths)
It definitely seems worth wile, but I'm still a little worried about melting my injectors. Plus I definitely look like a sketch-ball transferring a fluid form a mason jar to my gas tank with a glass turkey baister.

theholycow 10-08-2009 08:01 AM

You can definitely at least not look so weird. Just do it at home; I'd use a funnel instead of a turkey baster.

odiekokee 10-11-2009 08:00 PM

Is there something for a carb'd car that would give similar benefit to scangage or mpguino? I have a vac gauge, not sure really what it's supposed to read.