Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Figured I would say hi... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/figured-i-would-say-hi-12270.html)

rgathright 01-19-2010 01:24 PM

That is such a beautiful Saturn!

You have a collector's piece there! Keep it! :cool:

theholycow 01-19-2010 01:36 PM

I agree, it looks like a brand new car in a showroom that's never even been outdoors.

ben98gs 01-20-2010 06:09 AM

LOL... It might look like that in the pictures.... BUT:

1. Front bumper where the license plate holes/mounts are is dimpled/warped like the plate holder was on it and it bumped into something
2. Runs in paint along the edges of the hood.
3. Headlights were replaced with aftermarket ones and do not align correctly, adjustment posts are broken/stripped and the lights "bounce"
4. Scuffs/scratches on the passenger side fender from going under something (I am assuming that is why the repairs were made, slid under a truck damaging hood and headlights).
5. Rear bumper faded and has a lot of "spider cracks" in the paint from being backed into things.
6. Rear spoiler/trunklid has all kinds of scratches probably from having things set on it.
7. Scratches/scuffs on passenger side of the car from possibly multiple cart grazings. Have not had a chance to see if these will buff out or if they are too deep.
8. Common Saturn problem, the sunroof is starting to go out (works, but when you close it does not want to completely reseat unless you push on it while closing, you need two people to do this and it is hard to reach the button and the top of the car at the same time).
9. Driver door "pops" when opening and closing. Another common Saturn problem from the door panel being too thin where the checker mounts and pulls the metal out of place and then "pops" back to normal.

So I know I can be a little OCD about my cars, but this one is far from "perfect". It just photographs well. If I was going to have a spare car, it would be and SC2 instead of the SC1 then anyway... lol

Here are 2 pictures of the Honda (no that is not me, that is the previous owner... lol):

https://www.indyhpmedia.com/ihpmedia/...gs/95Civic.jpg
https://www.indyhpmedia.com/ihpmedia/...s/95Civic2.jpg

Fuel Miser 01-22-2010 03:28 PM

Hi Ben,
Thanks for reminding us how misleading a photo can be, especially over the 'net. We'll keep this in mind when surfing ebay and the like.
Best of luck with the "new" car. Please keep us posted on successes and failures. Especially failures, no sense in all of us falling into the same pit.
Warmest regards,
Patrick

Jay2TheRescue 01-22-2010 04:27 PM

It also helps to know about photography when looking at pictures on the net. You can put different filters on the camera to make up for shortcomings in the vehicle. Paint not shiny? Star filter time!!! I remember one evening my brother in law & I were bored out of our minds, so we went to Ebay Motors, and looked at cars, and identified the special effects & filters used in the car pictures.

ben98gs 01-25-2010 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuel Miser (Post 146657)
Hi Ben,
Thanks for reminding us how misleading a photo can be, especially over the 'net. We'll keep this in mind when surfing ebay and the like.
Best of luck with the "new" car. Please keep us posted on successes and failures. Especially failures, no sense in all of us falling into the same pit.
Warmest regards,
Patrick

Will keep updates on the stuff I do to the Honda. Trying to get a few base tanks in, but figure I am getting about 35-40mpg right now and at the rate I drive it is going to take me at least another 2 weeks. At this rate I will not have a base to compare to because I will get to antsy and start modding it... lol :D

I highly doubt he used any filters or gimmicks in the photos. It just photographs well. You have to be really close to the car to notice just about any of the items I mentioned. Oh well. Sold the car for what I had in it, so really not a big deal. And unlike the guy that sold it to me, I DID DISCLOSE the rebuilt title.

Ford Man 01-25-2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben98gs (Post 146226)

I learned how to drive on a '68 Mercury Montego MX that my dad bought new in '68. The main difference was yours if a 4 door and not the MX model. It didn't get terrible gas mileage for a car made in the 60's with a 302 CI V8. If I remember right I could usually squeeze about 18 MPG out of it and gas was only about $ .40-$ .45 a gallon when I was learning to drive.

ben98gs 01-26-2010 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford Man (Post 146781)
I learned how to drive on a '68 Mercury Montego MX that my dad bought new in '68. The main difference was yours if a 4 door and not the MX model. It didn't get terrible gas mileage for a car made in the 60's with a 302 CI V8. If I remember right I could usually squeeze about 18 MPG out of it and gas was only about $ .40-$ .45 a gallon when I was learning to drive.

Yeah, sounds about right. But not worried about gas mileage with that thing. Currently sitting in the garage waiting for reassembly, but was bored .030" over with higher compression pistons, 262 cam, 600 cfm carb, etc. Mild build, but just wanted a little more power for it on the street, will probably never see the strip.