Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Supercharger/Increased MPG? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/supercharger-increased-mpg-12287.html)

GasSavers_goldie 01-17-2010 05:07 PM

Supercharger/Increased MPG?

I am just starting to research the possibility of adding a supercharger (belt drive) as another mod to my Sierra (4.3L engine). In the scant perusing of threads on this subject I am unable to come to a conclusion as to wether or not this will be of benefit to increasing my mpg, assuming I stay with my conservative driving techniques. I am interested in hearing experiences from members about this subject. Meanwhile, I continue my research. Thanks in advance for the assisitance.

kit352 01-17-2010 05:19 PM

your better off with a turbo. its much more efficient. superchargers take a lot of power to run.

theholycow 01-17-2010 05:44 PM

I can't imagine how a supercharger could increase fuel economy.

FrugalFloyd 01-17-2010 06:35 PM

Superchargers are always sapping power, so there's no way you'll see a mileage improvement with one. Small turbochargers (because they run off waste exhaust) combined with smaller engines can show mileage improvements, but you're not likely to see any from adding one to your 4.3 L V-6. You'd have to drop to a 2.8 or 2.4 with turbo - something like that.

imzjustplayin 01-17-2010 07:27 PM

I totally agree with everything that has been posted in this thread.

severach 01-17-2010 09:40 PM

Engine compression is usually reduced to minimize knock from a super charger or turbo. This would reduce mileage.

bobc455 01-18-2010 02:45 AM

I've looked into this as well. The best claim I've ever heard, including from a manufacturer, is that you don't lose mileage (which I have a hard time even believing that, since it takes some power even to spin a naked assembly).

The only real way to truly gain MPG with a supercharger is in conjunction with a smaller motor. For instance, swap your NA 4.3 for a supercharged 2.8.

BTW my own prediction is that in the next 10 - 20 years, if we are still using gasoline engines, it will be with very small (0.7 liter) motors with huge turbochargers (30 - 40 #s of boost).

-Bob C.

Sludgy 01-18-2010 12:49 PM

I believe that a supercharger could be mande to improve mileage. Here's how:

Step 1

Lower the axle ratio. The new ratio would be the old ratio multiplied by 14.7 /(14.7 & boost pressure). This would keep peak torque constant.

Step 2

Use an ELECTRIC compressor that only presurizes the intake air at WOT.

GasSavers_bobski 01-18-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sludgy (Post 146481)
Use an ELECTRIC compressor that only presurizes the intake air at WOT.

Or you could use a turbocharger that does the same thing, but captures the energy it needs to operate from the exhaust stream.

i-DSi 01-19-2010 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ************* (Post 146457)
I totally agree with everything that has been posted in this thread.

Same opinion...
As allready said: if you compare e.g. an atmospheric 5 liter engine and you downsize it to a 2.8 with turbo. Yes, than you can increase mpg for the same BHP. But with a charger: no way you can increase mpg. A charger's eating fuel on its own !