Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Motorcycles (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/)
-   -   Honda CRF230 (-L, -M) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/honda-crf230-l-m-12300.html)

Fuel Miser 01-22-2010 05:11 AM

Honda CRF230 (-L, -M)

Hi all,
New to your wonderful site, surprised no CRF230s are in evidence.
Cycle World real-world road tested the CRF230L in July 2008 and it rewarded them, "returning almost 100 miles per gallon! That's an honest mileage figure, too, attained on a test loop that included freeway sections (at an indicated 65 mph), two-lane roads and lots of stop-and-go; no attempt was made to milk the mpg numbers."
-Frugal Fuelers: Honda CRF230L
By Ryan Dudek

Sounds like a natural for we Gassavers, any thoughts? Experiences?

Fuel Miser 01-26-2010 02:34 PM

Okay, I give up on experiences. Any thoughts?

low&slow 01-27-2010 07:12 PM

Hi Fuel Miser ,
Welcome to GasSavers. I agree the CRF 230 sounds like it has great potential for some high MPGs. If Cycle World is getting 100mpg out of it a dedicated hypermiler could get another 30% to 40% pretty easily. With some gearing and streamlining even more.
I try to use my motorcycle ( 1982 Yamaha Vision 550 cc V-twin)frequently depnding on the weather and how much stuff I have to carry. I average about 48mpg on it with a best tank of 61 mpg. A small motorcycle is a good option to reduce your fuel consumption and have some fun.
Best wishes , L&S

Fuel Miser 01-28-2010 04:25 AM

I was hoping Honda would be rewarded for making a move in this direction. While allowing that most motorcycles are tuned for performance they still, by and large trail far behind in fuel efficiency. While I appreciate the challenges presented in designing a two wheeler for aerodynamic benefit I have to believe there are many other areas overdue for dramatic improvements. The primary detractor is marketing, I can't think of one ad I've seen touting a motorcycle's efficiency. Whether the marketplace cares I cannot claim to know. I do however recall the words of Henry L. Mencken, "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

Sludgy 01-31-2010 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuel Miser (Post 146914)
I was hoping Honda would be rewarded for making a move in this direction. While allowing that most motorcycles are tuned for performance they still, by and large trail far behind in fuel efficiency. While I appreciate the challenges presented in designing a two wheeler for aerodynamic benefit I have to believe there are many other areas overdue for dramatic improvements. The primary detractor is marketing, I can't think of one ad I've seen touting a motorcycle's efficiency. Whether the marketplace cares I cannot claim to know. I do however recall the words of Henry L. Mencken, "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

I agree with this absolutely. Motorcycle manufacturers don't use technology that will improve mileage. There is no technical reason that a 150 to 200 cc single cylinder direct injected 2-stroke motorcycle can't reach 100 mph AND deliver 100 mpg when ridden at normal speeds. Aprillia has a 50 cc two stroke scooter. Why not a single cylinder direct injection stratified charge 200cc bike?