Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Motorcycles (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/)
-   -   My motorcycle (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/my-motorcycle-12370.html)

i-DSi 02-13-2010 10:47 AM

My motorcycle

Hi all, after a few months only showing my car's fuel economy I added my Honda motorcycle and filled in the gaslog.
I think I face the same situation as with my car: nobody to compare with (European models only). Or does Honda have this type of MC also in the States?
I bought this bike brand new, and after braking it in I think I will see the same as with my car: a very steady fuel consumption with hardly any ups or downs (see my garage for details).
It surprises me that some of the other MCdrivers do a lot better than me (25%). I'm driving it really smooth, just as my car. 90% just as my car for daily commute (20 miles on way).
I guess the ones doing better do only (or a majority of) long distances.
Don't drive it in winter, it's a pleasure thing for summer.

Tepco 02-14-2010 04:34 PM

Beautiful bike, unfortunately we don't have the privilege of getting some of the cool bikes you get, the NT700V is the closest we have. Your bike is available in Canada so there should be some data on here soon. 40 mpg doesn't seem all that bad though for a half fairing bike.

i-DSi 02-15-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tepco (Post 147784)
Beautiful bike, unfortunately we don't have the privilege of getting some of the cool bikes you get, the NT700V is the closest we have. Your bike is available in Canada so there should be some data on here soon. 40 mpg doesn't seem all that bad though for a half fairing bike.

40mpg? That's an unexisting EPA rating I gave in myself.
I drive this CBF in the low 50's (see gaslog). So you see this as a success?
NT700V: we have it also. It's called Deauville in Europe.
You know Tepco, things can be so weird. If there's one thing I hesitated for to buy this bike, than it's the looks !! There are a lot better looking bikes on the market here. I always say: 'she drives way better than she looks'. I wanted a Honda. My previous one was so good I didn't want to change.
Thanks for your opinion.

Bandit Bill 03-07-2010 11:38 AM

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...ornet%2007.htm

Consumption average 19.6 km/lit

19.6 (kilometers / l) = 46.1020583 miles per gallon

There ya go.

cat0020 03-07-2010 02:27 PM

:thumbup: Cool bike, not something available in the US, loks like a bit like Suzuki Bandit.

https://www.gassavers.org/garage_imag...ngo8kptnlz.jpg

Jim T. 03-08-2010 06:47 AM

Nice looking.
Europe gets all the neat smaller CC bikes.

alvaro84 03-10-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim T. (Post 148634)
Nice looking.
Europe gets all the neat smaller CC bikes.

Lol, quite a few of us here in Europe whine about the Japanese getting all those neat 400cc bikes :rolleyes:

i-DSi 03-11-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alvaro84 (Post 148794)
Lol, quite a few of us here in Europe whine about the Japanese getting all those neat 400cc bikes :rolleyes:

Hi Alvaro,
I'm wondering how you manage to get that low fuel consumption with a big monocylindre. I owned in the past 2 big singles (Yamaha SZR660 and an Aprilia Pegaso 650). They both consumed a lot more than my current Honda 4-cylindre 600.
I also owned a Honda CB Sevenfifty (4 cylindre), that one consumed less than the Aprilia 650, but more than the Yam. You should know the first generation BMW F650 was produced by Aprilia and they were more or less a copy of each other.
So the worst bike I owned for fuel consumption was the precedetor of yours!

alvaro84 03-19-2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i-DSi (Post 148828)
Hi Alvaro,
I'm wondering how you manage to get that low fuel consumption with a big monocylindre. I owned in the past 2 big singles (Yamaha SZR660 and an Aprilia Pegaso 650). They both consumed a lot more than my current Honda 4-cylindre 600.
I also owned a Honda CB Sevenfifty (4 cylindre), that one consumed less than the Aprilia 650, but more than the Yam. You should know the first generation BMW F650 was produced by Aprilia and they were more or less a copy of each other.
So the worst bike I owned for fuel consumption was the precedetor of yours!

Yes, the 'old' F650s and those Aprilias have almost the same engine. AFAIK both are carbed.
The newer F650s are fuel injected though and drink much less than their predecessors. Even when I was just 'driving conservatively' I could stay between ~3-3.4l/100km with Teresa (In us mpg, it's the 70s). And with Pulse&Glide at the bottom of the 5th gear (~70-90km/h) she just shines (my best is 2.38l/100km, 98.9mpg). I'm quite tired of P&G though, but keeping the speed limits and avoiding braking (I anticipate and coast instead, may FAS when applicable) can still keep me under 3l/100km (above 80mpg) - at least, when it's not winter and there are 'details' (frequent villages, slopes I can take advantage) that justify slowing down.

(and I don't know how much it counts, but I also keep the tire pressure slightly above BMW recommended values, more like the sidewall max)

Anyway, I'm about to 'benchmark' my new commute route. We moved in the winter, now I live 25kms from my workplace instead of 60. No freeway here, but a nice, twisty backroad (which is called a main road, but I wouldn't call it one :D) with a village in between. May be ~8km of the route is inhibited area (50km/h max, even I don't keep it rigorously, but what matters is that I can't use 5th gear in these stages).

i-DSi 03-24-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alvaro84 (Post 149168)
Yes, the 'old' F650s and those Aprilias have almost the same engine. AFAIK both are carbed.
The newer F650s are fuel injected though and drink much less than their predecessors. .

AFAIK fuel injection has not helped on motorcycles for fuel economy. I personally don't know of a motorcycle that has better economy with a FI compared to carbs. (CBR1100XX, VFR750<->VFR800,...). And if there are, than a lot more was changed (like on mine: CBF600 MY07 <-> MY08 : a whole different engine).
Quote:

(and I don't know how much it counts, but I also keep the tire pressure slightly above BMW recommended values, more like the sidewall max)

I also keep pressure a little bit above recommendation, but only a little bit as I don't want to take risks for the grip. Safety first.
Quote:

Anyway, I'm about to 'benchmark' my new commute route. We moved in the winter, now I live 25kms from my workplace instead of 60.

This is interesting! My commute is 29kms one way. So now we can play in the same league! The percentage of miles driven with a cold engine is extremely important for FE. How's the benchmark so far? I will have a look in your gaslog.