Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Finally getting an SL1 (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/finally-getting-an-sl1-12443.html)

theholycow 03-08-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kit352 (Post 148645)
lower 5th gear so it chugs at a lower rpm.

That's a higher gear. Lower gears result in higher RPM.

kit352 03-08-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 148660)
That's a higher gear. Lower gears result in higher RPM.

my bad. i can never remember the formula.

theholycow 03-09-2010 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kit352 (Post 148676)
my bad. i can never remember the formula.

Just remember that "First gear" and "Low gear" are synonymous (imagine the old PRNDL vs. the more modern PRND21), and you shift into "High gear" when you're cruising on the highway.

Jay2TheRescue 03-09-2010 03:25 AM

Or, my old Pontiac... Park Reverse Neutral Drive Super Low. I have no idea why 2nd was "super", but it was great for driving in snow & ice.

Project84 03-09-2010 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SentraSE-R (Post 148659)
Sounds like a good catch, John. I don't think 50 mpg with an AT is possible. Surprise me! ;)

Always doubting me!!! ;)

It's already been done time and time again. Lots of Saturns in the 50's over at cleanmpg.

My average yearly commute is 95% all city, so even if I get 50mpg once or twice on these trips to Cleveland, I won't be modding the car to sustain that kind of mileage. I hope to have an average mileage of about 33-35mpg in city.

I did stumble upon a big sheet of coroplast a while back that I still haven't used, so maybe I'll take a page from the record book (lovemysan) and make a full belly pan, or at least an engine pan.

I'm not sure of all the options the car has. I do remember reading on the original window sticker which I found in the glovebox that the Saturn CD player was a $510.00 option!!!! YIKES! I think A/C was on there at $1,200. I don't even know if it has cruise control... wish I would've looked, but I never use it anyway, it's just nice for resale.

Jay2TheRescue 03-09-2010 03:33 AM

I generally won't even look at a car without cruise, but then again when I'm not driving in city traffic I'm on the highway for at least an hour. Cruise is definitely needed for my 14 hour drives down to Florida to visit family down there. Every vehicle I own has made the trip several times. I'm just waiting for the day that my uncle finally decides that its time to let go of Grandpa's car sitting in the garage (he doesn't drive) and I get to put it on a trailer and drive it home.

spotaneagle 03-09-2010 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Project84 (Post 148683)
Always doubting me!!! ;)

It's already been done time and time again. Lots of Saturns in the 50's over at cleanmpg.

My average yearly commute is 95% all city, so even if I get 50mpg once or twice on these trips to Cleveland, I won't be modding the car to sustain that kind of mileage. I hope to have an average mileage of about 33-35mpg in city.

I did stumble upon a big sheet of coroplast a while back that I still haven't used, so maybe I'll take a page from the record book (lovemysan) and make a full belly pan, or at least an engine pan.

I'm not sure of all the options the car has. I do remember reading on the original window sticker which I found in the glovebox that the Saturn CD player was a $510.00 option!!!! YIKES! I think A/C was on there at $1,200. I don't even know if it has cruise control... wish I would've looked, but I never use it anyway, it's just nice for resale.

thats funny i just gave my air conditioner away

i think 50mpg is possible with an automatic why?

i think you can get better gains out of a Warm air intake with an automatic than a manual because you can crank up the air temp alot more, why?
well manual transmissions rely on your clutch pedal releasing at a certain point meeting the engine at a certain horsepower, I believe there is a change in the gas pedal height needed under hai conditions so it makes it easier to drive an automatic with hai thats why I have a wai, plus in the city, there is less air movement, so during the height of summer I notice that city and highway numbers get closer to each other. you're already at 38mpg to begin with

i did 45 mpg at 60mph in an auto sl2 with hai, so consider that 99+ saturns have reworked pistons and cams for better low end torque/fe, and I say it's oh so possible, providing you do some major handling upgrades to keep all the kinetic energy u can, .32 drag coefficient, you could work on that too so at highway speeds you save even more

Project84 03-09-2010 04:22 AM

As for the drag coefficient, I was thinking before I left for my trip this past weekend, of putting some painter's tape on the headlight gaps and hood/fenders. Maybe that's something I'll try w/ the SL1.

My best MPG to date with the SL2 and HAI was 47.x mpg I had upon exiting the interstate back when I first put the HAI on. This is documented in the gaslog. I did not fill up at this time, I added some city mileage to it which brought the entry down to 43mpg. I think a 100% highway drive in the dead of summer in the SL1 will net 50+mpg.

New highway EPA numbers only put the SL1 at 3mpg more than the SL2... but even at that, 47.x + 3 = 50.x

I'll be going to Cleveland again for the 4th of July, maybe then.

spotaneagle 03-09-2010 05:44 AM

other examples of cars where good handling=good mpg

jetta turbo deisel 50mpg
mini cooper 40mpg

spotaneagle 03-09-2010 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Project84 (Post 148687)
As for the drag coefficient, I was thinking before I left for my trip this past weekend, of putting some painter's tape on the headlight gaps and hood/fenders. Maybe that's something I'll try w/ the SL1.

My best MPG to date with the SL2 and HAI was 47.x mpg I had upon exiting the interstate back when I first put the HAI on. This is documented in the gaslog. I did not fill up at this time, I added some city mileage to it which brought the entry down to 43mpg. I think a 100% highway drive in the dead of summer in the SL1 will net 50+mpg.

New highway EPA numbers only put the SL1 at 3mpg more than the SL2... but even at that, 47.x + 3 = 50.x

I'll be going to Cleveland again for the 4th of July, maybe then.

try seal and peal caulking around your headlights its removable caulk $4.50 a tube, its hard to work with though thats why I prefer the real deal, also when you remove the seal and peal it make take paint with it maybe.. just a good clear caulk is good you can remove it with a 5 in 1 later if you want or just leave it, shape it with your finger so its a smooth(aero) edge

also get gorilla tape at home depot, only because this stuff is the best duct tape you can find and will last and is reusable, and tape off behind your headlights as good and tight as you can, will work as a good grille block and your car will warm up quick or better yet use this tape to hold on a grill block