Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Motorcycles (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/)
-   -   Has anyone tried those things that are supposed to trip traffic sensors @ red lights? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/has-anyone-tried-those-things-that-are-supposed-to-trip-traffic-sensors-red-lights-12765.html)

Jay2TheRescue 07-09-2010 05:25 AM

Yeah, I've been parking right on the loop as well. I don't think I'll have a problem once I mount the two 3" neodymium magnets on the bottom.

Jay2TheRescue 07-09-2010 05:34 AM

Another thing I read says that if you put your kickstand down, and lay it right on the induction loop that works sometimes too.

VetteOwner 07-09-2010 05:39 AM

lol has anyone with a small car had trouble triggering them? once or twice in the chevette Ive had that problem.

Jay2TheRescue 07-09-2010 06:56 AM

I've read that magnets on the bottom of the car help small cars too.

From what I've read the magnets should be placed under the rocker panels on either side of the car.

bones33 07-29-2010 03:08 PM

Just put the kickstand down directly where the sensor wire is. No magnets needed.

GasSavers_JoeBob 07-29-2010 09:53 PM

True story...

One night back about 1979 or so, a friend and I were riding out to the local (Glendora, CA) pizza place (Zio's) for pizza and beer. Each of us was carrying a passenger (both of our passengers also rode). I was riding a Yamaha XS-400, my friend was riding a Kawasaki KZ-400.

We pulled into the left-hand turn lane, and sat squarely within the coil for the sensor. We sat there for two cycles of the traffic light, waiting for the left-turn arrow. Finally, we decided to just go...we waited until it was safe to proceed, and turned. At that moment, a Glendora P.D. patrol car pulled up behind us. We were stopped in front of Zio's. One of the two cops in the car actually had the ticket book out and was ready to cite us for turning against the arrow. One of our passengers started to argue with the cop, who claimed that his Honda 750 would trip the signal. My passenger (the arguer) agreed, saying his Honda 750 would as well, but he would be quite willing to go to court to state that these two bikes didn't trip it.

Long story short, that cop actually put away his ticket book w/o writing us any tickets.

Ford Man 07-31-2010 07:40 PM

Re: Has anyone tried those things that are supposed to trip traffic sensors @ red lig

Joe Bob I do the same thing you did. If the light makes a complete cycle whether I'm on my motorcycle or in one of my cars and it doesn't give me my greem light I'm going to check to see if everything is clear and go on. There's a light coming out of the hospital parking lot where my wife works that I've ran several times, because it just wouldn't change from red to green. I've also found with some of the local lights it takes more than one vehicle to trigger the lights into changing, in those cases I back up and run over the sensor again to trigger the light if no one else comes up behind me to trigger it.

theholycow 08-01-2010 03:36 AM

Re: Has anyone tried those things that are supposed to trip traffic sensors @ red lig

Lights that won't change for a car should be reported to the DOT (or equivalent department whatever its name is). They are malfunctioning.

bobc455 08-01-2010 04:52 AM

What if they won't change for a scooter or bicycle? :)

kamesama980 08-01-2010 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobc455 (Post 153574)
What if they won't change for a scooter or bicycle? :)

hop off and walk it as a pedestrian, hop back on when across the intersection. I'd imagine an iron-based kick stand would work, as would magnets on the bottom, same as the other bikes.

I usually plan my route to avoid the bad lights around town unless there's someone behind me, in which case I pull as far forward as is safe. luckily all the bad lights are avoidable for me.