Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Car Reviews (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Smart Car review - input requested! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f30/smart-car-review-input-requested-12850.html)

101mpg 08-13-2010 11:50 AM

Smart Car review - input requested!

I have a rented Smart ForTwo right now - silver with the Brabus package. I'm going to take a friend for a ride, will have it for about a week. Please post anything and everything you'd like to know about the vehicle and I'll do my best to give a constructive review about the Smart for you.

bowtieguy 08-13-2010 03:16 PM

Re: Smart Car review - input requested!

can you both lift the vehicle off the ground? just kidding. ;)

auto or manual?
is it fun to drive beyond the first day?
is it comfortable on long trips(if applicable)?
does it bog down under heavy a/c usage?
would you consider(write-up) YOUR detailed review in addition to our questions?

101mpg 08-14-2010 08:25 PM

It's manual-matic. I'll check the specifics for the name Smart uses. It's an automatic with steering-wheel mounted shifters.

It is the Brabus package, by the way - rubber band tires for that teenager ride, dual exhaust, and everything else I can think of.

It's surprisingly fairly good on acceleration - nothing spectacular, but it's nice. You have to give it a fairly good amount of gas to get going, and it accelerates slowly off the line, but it certainly has its niche for come car owners. The moonroof is Lexan - covers most of the top of the vehicle. The integrated roll cage should take care of you in a rollover accident rather than the Lexan roof.

It is fun, incredible on gasoline with its 8.7 gallon tank, and great for parking in tight spots where others may not fit.

A/C usage does not affect driving at all, and I have it set on as ice cold and high of fan as I can get.

Headroom is unreal.

I'm going to be doing a FULL write-up - more questions please? I'll be much more detailed.

trollbait 08-24-2010 01:45 PM

I thought the US got an automated manual transmission. Mechcanically it's a manual, but does the shifting for you. Paddle shifters to override the programed shift points is an available option.

BumblingB 10-05-2010 07:56 AM

Just curious if you ever did your write up? I missed it if you did. Don't come here too much anymore. I know with the Brabus you got worse mileage than the Pure or Passion because of the wheels.

CowgirlinTheSand 02-24-2014 09:23 PM

How about a Smart Soul? https://www.pbase.com/cits_4_pets/ima...302/medium.jpg
Leather interior, heated front and rear seats, ventilated front seat, air conditioned glove box, moonroof, 350 watt Infinity Sound system. 8" Navi/infotainment screen, nice quiet ride, soft padded doors, dash (padded plastic & padded leather)... 164 Hammies under the hood... 0-60 in 8 secs...

RedY2KXSmarty 10-07-2014 06:13 PM

Accelerator recalibration

The accelerator pedal on your smart does not have a mechanical connection to the engine. It has an electrical connection that can change with time. I was told to recalibration the pedal and I would notice that the smart would have more power and be more responsive. Well, I figured that this was country fertilizer. However, I did it and I believe it has made a difference. Mostly it seems smoother and more responsive. I believe that I saw this at www.evilution.uk. I don't have a copy of the instructions but I believe they are as follows. I would appreciate your thoughts if you try it.

1- key in off position
2- Press the accelerator to floor and hold
3- Turn key to on position
4- Wait atleast 5 seconds
5- Turn off key and release pedal
6- Do not start the smart for atleast 60 seconds

That's it....let me know!

LouSiffer 10-21-2014 04:07 AM

I owned a diesel smart for four years - it was a great little car. Mine was the "pure" model with the semi auto 6 speed transmission. After 4 years my average mileage was 4.2L/100km - I think that's about 67 mpg for my US friends....

Only issues I ever had was that being a diesel, it took forever to heat up in the winter and the stereo was horrid.

Jay2TheRescue 10-21-2014 05:53 AM

That's odd. Most diesels I've driven warmed up relatively quickly.

trollbait 10-21-2014 05:58 AM

Were any of those diesels under a liter, Jay?