Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   New blue Yaris (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/new-blue-yaris-12872.html)

PhotoDu.de 08-25-2010 10:29 AM

Re: New blue Yaris

Oh, also I inflated my tires to 44psi when I went out for lunch. I'm going to drop it down to 35psi when it starts to snow though.

imzjustplayin 08-25-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoDu.de (Post 154259)
I didn't get a stick because I really don't know how to drive one. In high school (going on 6 years ago now) my friend kind of taught me how to drive stick in his Jeep Cherokee but I never got that good. It would have been a very annoying test drive.
I'm going to get a scangauge at some point soon. Is there any other OBDII tools that work in a similar way?

this is why manual transmissions are dying...

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoDu.de (Post 154271)
Oh, also I inflated my tires to 44psi when I went out for lunch. I'm going to drop it down to 35psi when it starts to snow though.

You might not have to as I drove through snow in my FJ cruiser with the tires at 51PSI, slammed on the brakes going 30mph down a little hill and they stopped just fine. I think it was sleet (water+snow) when I tried this. Now had it been ice, well that'd be a different story but it always is when it comes to Ice.

PhotoDu.de 08-26-2010 08:25 AM

Would a continuously variable transmission get better mileage then a stick?

GasSavers_BEEF 08-26-2010 09:13 AM

a CVT is a very interesting device. for most people (your average driver) it will (as many EPA ratings show it to have higher numbers) but it also doesn't allow you to EOC (engine off coasting) and it is very hard to DFCO (deceleration fuel cut off) in one as you have to apply throttle to a certain degree. if you take your foot off of the pedal in a CVT, you start to decelerate.

the new ones may be different but I have had friends that had hondas with them a few years back and they absolutely hated them because you have to constantly be applying pressure to the accelerator.

I guess it also depends on how the computer runs the CVT maybe you could tune it to be in it's most efficient RPM band. most of us are stuck with what the factory has decided it will do anyway.

theholycow 08-26-2010 09:17 AM

A CVT or even a well-designed modern automatic will get better mileage for an average driver who is driving inefficiently.

In most vehicles, a driver trying to drive efficiently will do better with a manual transmission.

In all vehicles, a hypermiler will do better with a manual transmission than with an automatic, CVT, or automated manual.

FrugalFloyd 08-26-2010 07:53 PM

I rented an AT Yaris for a week in New England last year and managed an average 42 mpg for three tanks. The OP can use that as a goal to attempt to surpass.

PhotoDu.de 08-26-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SentraSE-R (Post 154321)
I rented an AT Yaris for a week in New England last year and managed an average 42 mpg for three tanks. The OP can use that as a goal to attempt to surpass.

I know at some point I want to go on a transcontinental road trip in this car. It will be interesting to see what kind of mileage I get with E0 and driving efficiently.

RedAccord02 09-02-2010 01:28 PM

Nice ! Post up some pictures. The Toyota website has the 5 door Yaris, 5 speed manual rated at 29/36, and the 4 speed auto at 29/35

PhotoDu.de 09-06-2010 01:36 PM

Here are all the picture that CarMax snapped of the car: https://img163.imageshack.us/g/image28.jpg/
I'll need to take some glammer photos later, but the suburbs aren't great for those.