Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   new used car (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/new-used-car-12915.html)

1993CivicVX 09-18-2010 11:37 AM

new used car

My friend is looking to buy a new used car--low mileage-- safety and reiliabity are number one priorities but also fuel economy. 2004-2007ish range.

They are primarily looking at Toyota and Honda but I am posting here for other suggestions. (Nissan, Hyundai, Mazda, etc..?)

They are not very interested in the Prius because they are concerned that its quietude is not safe for other people. What about the civic Hybrid?

Subaru Forester,
Honda Fit
Civic
Civic Hybrid
Toyota Matrix
Toyota Corolla

These are some popular cars, what others?

GasSavers_BEEF 09-18-2010 11:47 AM

Re: new used car

I've always been a fan of the yaris. I especially like the 4 door hatch.

I have heard that the prius is going to come out with a noise maker that only comes on when it is in electric only mode. I want to say it is out in japan. that may be an option if it comes to the states.

1993CivicVX 09-18-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 154713)
I've always been a fan of the yaris. I especially like the 4 door hatch.

I have heard that the prius is going to come out with a noise maker that only comes on when it is in electric only mode. I want to say it is out in japan. that may be an option if it comes to the states.

yeah, my friend mentioned that to me. I have a feeling my friend is looking for a sedan--yaris is pretty small. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

kamesama980 09-18-2010 04:56 PM

the horn is a great noise maker

theholycow 09-18-2010 05:27 PM

Meh...horn is only good if the driver sees someone and knows that they don't see the car. Engine noise helps people notice the car in the first place.

Wyldesoul 09-18-2010 06:22 PM

Yeah, the electric only mode on any hybrid that can do it (and I'd imagine the leaf) is a major safety issue for the blind.

trollbait 09-20-2010 08:10 AM

There is no proof that the Prius is any more dangerous than a straight ICE car. I think the pedestrian accident incident for the Prius is lower than the vehicle average. There are one or two posters at Priuschat who have been following and researching this issue. It feels more like a political issue than a safety one. Where politicians support it out of fear of looking bad without thought over the affects to everyone if implemented. In the Japanese manual of the Prius, one suggested use of the EV mode was for leaving your home in the early morning without disturbing your neighbors. A mandatory noise maker negates that.
There are ICE cars that are quieter than the Prius. There is no talk of them getting a noise maker.
Quote:

Engine noise helps people notice the car in the first place.
Tire noise probably plays a bigger part than you think.