Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Ye Olde A/C shut off valve (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/ye-olde-a-c-shut-off-valve-1294.html)

SVOboy 09-04-2005 07:30 AM

Ye Olde A/C shut off valve

So, this is basically what it is, I heard it from Matt first, but mehbe some feedback and stuff about developement could go up here, also, I think this should be an easy thing to study, if you ask me.

So it is basically I little thingy that measures the pressure the a/c system put on the car when the car is using it's power for moving, and then kills the a/c in hopes of not killing your gas mileage. I will poke around for some link cuz I know I have them, I just want to get this out here.

EDIT: here is the link to it on the insight forums: https://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3336

Matt Timion 09-04-2005 09:09 AM

Alternative Fuels

I forgot all about this. I first read about this on an insight forum. The guy build it using a vacuum switch and harwiring it to the AC compressor. When the PSI of the vacuum hose was above a certain level (in other words, you are accelerating) the AC turns off. When the vacuum comes back down below the threshold, it comes back on.

I should email the guy on the insight forum and get schematics for it. It would be a very simple thing to build, and even better, very easy to install.

SVOboy 09-04-2005 09:14 AM

going to Japan for a few weeks

I think I have a link for it somewhere around here...I will post it up if I find it quickly. In any case if it is easy enough one of us could just fab it up with pictures and do a real detailed write up. If it is too hard I'd prolly talk to DieMaster as he is an electrical wiz I believe. But get yourself on AIM for a minute, I gotta show you sumpin.

GasSavers_Diemaster 09-04-2005 12:59 PM

How did you first find Gassavers.org?

<p>i'm in the process of learning asembly language. so i'll be able to do the same thing in the ecu so no wiring or hardware is nessary (unless u dont have ac :P ) just write a little subroutiene that moniters the mapsensor and controls the ac clutch. all the hardware is allready stock to do that :D </p>
<p>come to think about it the ecu allready does that. if throttle goes &gt; a particular percentage with speed and rpm signals the ecu shuts off the ac while under heavy accelleration</p>

SVOboy 09-04-2005 01:28 PM

Did more work on the garage/gaslog last night.

But wouldn't it end up being a lot more work for the average not tuner person to do it the hardware way? I dunno anything about fooling with the ecu besides I don't have chip-burners or anything like that. While your idea is by far better than hardware, it might get hard unless everyone wants to drive over and visit you. Please tell me I'm wrong, I'm just starting to learn the crap from pgmfi.org so I still suck&nbsp;

GasSavers_Diemaster 09-04-2005 01:44 PM

When will the Gas Logs be back?

<p>
Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
it might get hard unless everyone wants to drive over and visit you. Please tell me I'm wrong, I'm just starting to learn the crap from pgmfi.org so I still suck&nbsp;

</p>
<p>lol i'd love the company :P no your not wrong. to the average person a simpe switch on the ac would work just the same and just as well. but in the automotive industry, were using less and less vacume. plus i dont like to splice into wires if i dont have to. i'm a neatness freak :P not only that but i could burn the chip for u a chip is like $2-3 so that would be less than the wire and switch and vacume tubing etc.. i'm not denouncing u i'm just trying to be most productive with what we allready have :)</p>

SVOboy 09-04-2005 01:56 PM

Is lugging ok

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diemaster

<p>&nbsp;i could burn the chip for u a chip is like $2-3 so that would be less than the wire and switch and vacume tubing etc.. i'm not denouncing u i'm just trying to be most productive with what we allready have :)</p><p>

</p><p>I'm not so worried about denuncification, I think though you would have to give yourself I little more out of the deal for 2-3 bucks but hell if you start burning chips you should definately talk to matt and I'd definately want one. I think I can resonably figure out the installation and all that. Mehbe if I get this free car I can part it out and afford my own burner and go learn it for kicks but for this you sound like you're already on top of it, haha. &nbsp;</p>

SVOboy 09-25-2005 08:19 PM

Hmm

I figure I'll move this up so flatland can gives his opinion on how to make something like this, because I think it is definately within his scope and I'm still really interested in getting it figured out.

Matt Timion 09-25-2005 08:26 PM

Re: Hmm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
I figure I'll move this up so flatland can gives his opinion on how to make something like this, because I think it is definately within his scope and I'm still really interested in getting it figured out.

Sorry I've been so busy lately, but I did talk to the guy who made one of these.

All it takes is a vacuum switch hooked up to either the A/C compressor or even the button within the cabin. The vacuum switch can be tuned to turn off/on at certain PSI. Tune it correctly (just turning a screw) and it will turn off when the throttle is open beyond a certain point.

I plan on doing this soon and making a write up, or at least soon after I make the write up for the cheap PCV catch can I'm making.

SVOboy 09-26-2005 07:59 AM

Good

Get the hell one that, eh.