Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   A/C drag (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/a-c-drag-13066.html)

slogfilet 11-16-2010 09:07 AM

A/C drag

How much impact do you think there is from the A/C unit when it's *not* running?

I'm considering buying a VX with about 100k fewer miles, and with A/C. I see myself only rarely using the A/C, but I know the parasitic drag would always be present.

slogfilet 11-16-2010 09:09 AM

Re: A/C drag

On the same topic... have any of you "bought down the mileage" on a used car by getting essentially the same model, but with fewer miles? 100k miles could mean many years of driving, but if my 212k mile VX is running fine, I dunno.

theholycow 11-16-2010 11:45 AM

If the deal is too good to pass up and you're prepared to buy it, then I'd say go for it.

On my Buick I decided to leave the compressor on but unplug it so it can't turn on when I turn on my defroster. With its clutch disengaged it should be a minuscule amount of loss.

benfrogg 11-16-2010 11:52 AM

I can't speak to the A/C. The user "Rancho VX" has a great gaslog saying what entries used how much A/C and it's impact on FE. Search for him and you'll find it.

As for the "buying down the miles" idea, consider this:
https://www.worldcarfans.com/10606206...th-anniversary

He's getting near 3 million miles. No major overhauls. No body rot. (he stores it outside a few blocks from the ocean)
Read up on this guy and his volvo. Now this is not exactly apples to apples, but it certainly expanded my thoughts about what is possible in a car. Miles really don't matter if you keep up on the maintenance and keep aware of when a rebuild might need to happen. These cars are sensitive and require lots of little things to get and keep them to a good FE level. I'd keep the old one and buy the new one too. Stockpile for when the price of fuel goes up. Sell it then (or part it out for your own car) and you win both ways.
B

GasSavers_BEEF 11-16-2010 12:18 PM

I've heard that the A/C doesn't really matter when not in use but can't really say for sure.

as far as buying down the mileage. I have thought of this for myself but find myself in a strange place. I have a cavalier with roughly 206K miles on the clock. all the cavaliers I look at with 150K + on the clock say that the head gasket has been changed or motor changed out or new trans or something. my concern is that I got a good one and if I do get another one, it may not be.

this may not be a concern for you because it is a honda and regardless of what some people say, that means something.

I worry too that I will get pennies for my car and get one not quite so good.

I think I am with the cow on this one, if it is a good deal....

slogfilet 11-16-2010 01:55 PM

There's also the guy on CL selling a D15Z1 and transmission for $225... I could squirrel that away in the storage unit until it's time to swap or rebuild.

Good points... I wonder if I got the well-maintained (but high mileage) car, and if I'd risk getting the lemon with low miles.

Worth a test drive, at least. :)

theholycow 11-16-2010 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 155987)
I think I am with the cow on this one, if it is a good deal....

LOL, beef with cow.

Actually I'm with your earlier sentiment - a car of known quality and maintenance with a lot of miles may be a better gamble than a lower mileage car that is owned by someone else.

GasSavers_BEEF 11-17-2010 05:40 AM

ain't nutin wrong wit a lil "COW BEEF"

seriously though, if you aren't getting rid of your old one, it may be good even if it doesen't last as long. I have actually considered a few cavaliers just for parts. the difficult part about that for me is that I don't have a place for it. I don't really have room for another working car either. that is a big reason it would have to be a replacement. I have 3 vehicles right now so if one has issues, we both (my wife and I) still have something to drive.

at the same time, this car that you are looking at may be above and beyond your own. it is the uncertainty I think. I know my car inside and out. I have said several times that I would take my car anywhere. I can't have a vehicle that I couldn't do that with.