Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   E10 has to be labeled, right? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/e10-has-to-be-labeled-right-13101.html)

SpeedKnight 12-02-2010 01:48 AM

E10 has to be labeled, right?

Let's say I roll up to a fairly local station. Let's say there's no stickers on the pumps with the "Contains 10% Ethanol" label. Does this mean I'm getting pure gas?!?

GasSavers_BEEF 12-02-2010 03:20 AM

Re: E10 has to be labeled, right?

around my area, some of the pumps are a little vague. they may say ethanol enriched. some only have ethanol in the 87 (89 being just a blend of 87 and 93).

not sure what they are required to do. I would just ask the store clerk (if you actually go in the store, I don't)

Jay2TheRescue 12-02-2010 07:18 AM

Depends on the laws in your state. Some states require labeling, some don't.

SpeedKnight 12-02-2010 03:10 PM

I learned two things today, after reading responses to this thread.

1) North Carolina does NOT require any sort of posting as to ethanol content in gasoline.

2) One of the gas stations I regularly use sells Shell gasoline. I can't find any information about Shell's US specific gasoline formulas, but I have found a few sites discussing their Canadian formulas. It would seem that their 87 octane gas contains 10% ethanol. Their 91 octane contains NO ethanol, and their 89 octane is nothing more than the other two octanes blended at 50/50 at the pump, giving it a 5% ethanol content.

I'm torn, here. I know there's more energy to be had by burning pure gas. I know that the ethanol could be causing corrosion issues in my motorcycle's gas tank, and potentially on the inside of all three of my vehicles' engines (the truck and car both have plastic gas tanks, I do believe). I'm also put off by the fact that the nearest pure-gas station is almost 25 miles away.

shatto 12-13-2010 05:41 PM

It would be illegal to not have the composition posted on the pump, methinks.

GasSavers_GasUser 12-13-2010 06:05 PM

I am sure I have seen it posted for ethanol content in NC and every other State I gassed up in on the way to Florida. That said, I am just guessing that it is mandatory for the ethanol content to be posted in every State. I was under the impression that it was mandatory though.

Anyway, it would be nice if we at least were given a choice between E-10 and 100% gas.

Jay2TheRescue 12-13-2010 06:23 PM

I see a lot of stickers that say "fuel from this dispenser may contain up to 10% ethanol". You could be buying anything between 0% and 10%.

shatto 12-13-2010 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasUser (Post 156440)
I am sure I have seen it posted for ethanol content in NC and every other State I gassed up in on the way to Florida. That said, I am just guessing that it is mandatory for the ethanol content to be posted in every State. I was under the impression that it was mandatory though.

Anyway, it would be nice if we at least were given a choice between E-10 and 100% gas.

Ahem, you live in the United States of America. Your choice has been made for you.

trollbait 12-14-2010 08:56 AM

It depends on the state for requirements of labeling.
Premium may be exempt from any ethanol requirements where you live.

FrugalFloyd 12-14-2010 05:32 PM

Shatto should know better. California gas all contains 10% ethanol since the beginning of 2010, and none of the pumps advertise that fact.