Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Better mileage with a 99 ex civic (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/better-mileage-with-a-99-ex-civic-13202.html)

silversol 01-15-2011 09:14 PM

Better mileage with a 99 ex civic

I wish I had neversold my civic vx. I am now driving a 99 honda civic ex automatic I must admit I do like the car but I am missing the vx gas mileage and the manual transmission. I have been watching for a 99-00 hx 5 speed at the local insurance auction hopeing one will pop up but no luck so far. I am not really wanting to spend alot on the car unless i find a hx swap. What can I do to get better mileage city I get about 28-30 mpg and hwy about 35 mpg. I am still wanting alittle more with gas prices going back up.

FrugalFloyd 01-16-2011 08:48 AM

Re: Better mileage with a 99 ex civic

You may be doing as well as you can with an old school AT. Try to keep it in top gear torque converter lockup, and out of downshifting/TC slippage rpms. Keep your speed at or below the posted speed limit. You're probably doing most of those things already to pull the mpg averages you're getting.

silversol 01-17-2011 12:29 PM

Naa I think there is always room for improvement.

benfrogg 01-17-2011 01:34 PM

My girlfriend's 96' LX gets 45mpg at 65mph highway no a/c and in the summer. That is with cruise control much of the way.
No modifications.
This time of year, not so much.
Probably more like 37 to 41.
B

silversol 01-18-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benfrogg (Post 157282)
My girlfriend's 96' LX gets 45mpg at 65mph highway no a/c and in the summer. That is with cruise control much of the way.
No modifications.
This time of year, not so much.
Probably more like 37 to 41.
B

Auto or 5 speed?

benfrogg 01-18-2011 04:15 PM

Auto. No headwind, I'd say the conditions that day were pretty much ideal. This was also at night for half of the trip so headlights were on. 75df.
I wasn't hypermiling at the time, just driving it easy.
In town is of course not as good .
I've noticed now that both hondas in the driveway lose a lot of MPG's during winter. Seems to be the nature of the beast.
B

benfrogg 01-26-2011 07:59 PM

So, she filled the tank today on her lx. (and remembered to note the odo)
Seems you are doing pretty well if you are driving in cold temps a lot.
She drives only in town, less than 6 mile trips. (newish job/family) She uses the remote starter a lot, at least 50% of the time.
MPG:

Yup, it can suck in winter.
I'd say you are doing okay if you live in a cold climate. Summer will treat you better.
B

silversol 01-26-2011 09:51 PM

I am in atlanta. It has been very very cold here. I am mainly in town driving the past few fill ups. I do drive with fuel economy in mind Im thinking about keeping this car for a bit if i get the new job im looking at. Today I did a intake cleaning service on the car and it made a huge diffrence in drive ability I cant really tell its running at idel and drives alot smoother. I have most of the parts to do a 5 speed conversion im looking local for a cv/vx trans. And when I have a little extra cash I plan to pick up a scangauge2. 19.2! mpg. I dont think mine was that bad when i was driving in the snow and ice we had early this month!