Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Just signed up (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/just-signed-up-13226.html)

tradosaurus 01-26-2011 04:20 AM

Just signed up

I have a 4 cars:
99 Honda Civic EX (manual) ~37 mpg hwy
2001 Honda Accord EX (manual) ~33 mpg hwy
2005 Ford Freestyle (auto) ~26 mpg hwy
2010 F150 Lariat (auto) ~ 20 mpg hwy

I will be driving the 99 Civic quite a bit in the next few months as my son is on a tournament baseball team.

I need to get some sort of gauge to monitor mpg and other info to get quicker feedback and make changes to my driving habits to improve MPG.

I started first with increasing the air pressure in the Civic tires to 45 psi. I will monitor over the first full tank to see any changes.

theholycow 01-26-2011 05:57 AM

Re: Just signed up

Welcome!

The most popular gauge for your purpose is the $160 ScanGauge II. I have one and it's great.

A new contender is the $60 UltraGauge which looks like it might be quite good. It offers a number of advantages over the SGII and a couple disadvantages. Search for a thread about it, someone on this site bought one and posted his review.

tradosaurus 01-26-2011 06:24 AM

Well the $100 difference in price tag makes the UltraGauge quite appealing.:)

GasSavers_BEEF 01-26-2011 10:30 AM

the one big disadvantage (for me anyway) is the cable isn't removable on the ultra gauge. I have a scangauge and I can take it from car to car but in my main car, I have the wire routed so it looks neat(ish). If I need to check a code in someone elses car, I just pull out my extra cord and remove the scangauge. when I am done the extra cord goes back in the glove box and I reattach my scangauge.

theholycow 01-26-2011 12:40 PM

I did not know that.

I'd probably cut the wire and splice in an RJ45 plug to use it SGII style.

GasSavers_BEEF 01-26-2011 12:46 PM

buddy of mine at work got one. I really like everything about it but that. it is an awesome gadget. I may not have thought anything about it if I didn't already have the scangauge to compare it to.

I really like the finised look of the RJ45 cable in the scangauge. not to pick on your cut and spliced one. I guess you could make it look alright

*****edit*****
I thought it was cat-5 cable (maybe they are one and the same)

tradosaurus 01-26-2011 12:57 PM

HEY!

This thread is about me!

Start your own thread!

:)
:) :)
:) :) :)

theholycow 01-26-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 157502)
I really like the finised look of the RJ45 cable in the scangauge. not to pick on your cut and spliced one. I guess you could make it look alright

Yeah, if you want it to look nice you'll have to put some effort into it or get a connector made for looking nice.

Quote:

I thought it was cat-5 cable (maybe they are one and the same)
The cable may or may not be cat-5. I suspect it doesn't matter; lesser cable would pick up electric noise in a more sensitive application. The connector is RJ45 and that does matter.

GasSavers_BEEF 01-27-2011 08:57 AM

tradosaurus,

you are correct, this one is yours. either of those units is a good solution. you may also want to consider airing up tires(sorry, done that) and playing with a grill block. it is amazing what you can get away with as far as blocking your grill off.

tradosaurus 01-27-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 157521)
tradosaurus,

you are correct, this one is yours. either of those units is a good solution. you may also want to consider airing up tires(sorry, done that) and playing with a grill block. it is amazing what you can get away with as far as blocking your grill off.

Well after I get a few tank fulls of gas through and quantify MPG difference with the tire pressure increase then I will do the grill block.

From what I read the two biggest changes after driving non-aggressively is to do those two items.