Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Take Your Foot Off The Gas (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/take-your-foot-off-the-gas-1331.html)

Paul Osborne 09-10-2005 06:57 AM

Take Your Foot Off The Gas

Hello,

I’m Paul Osborne the author of a new paperback book titled, Take Your Foot Off The Gas, available online through various book dealers. The book is definitely something members of the board will want to pick up. It’s well written, only because I have a great editor – otherwise my writing pretty much sucks.

I’m looking forward to participating on the board and gleaning good information.

Paul Osborne
www.takeyourfootoffthegas.com

SVOboy 09-10-2005 08:39 AM

55,000 lb 12mpg

Hey Paul, it's great to have you around, it seems like you know your stuff, but mehbe you should give yourself a little more credit. In any case, I look forward to checking out your book, sounds like its something that should be getting a lot more demand in the coming years. Good luck with the book!

Paul Osborne 09-10-2005 12:50 PM

For Sale: Honda Del Sol

SVOboy,

Indeed, thanks for the kind words.

I self published through Authorhouse because that’s pretty much the fastest way to get published these days and everyone knows how hard it is to get an agent interested in one’s work. New authors have a tough time getting into the market, although I am not an author by trade.

The book is written on a level everyone can understand. It’s short and crisp, and it offers a fresh look at gas wasting driving attitudes. Don’t be too surprised by how small it is when you first get it – just open it and digest the content. The book is very wholesome, perhaps fit for Walton’s mountain. There are some keen nuggets of goodness therein that few people consider in their driving experiences. Those nuggets will make the book especially worthwhile even for those drivers who have conservative driving practices.

Well, I’m confident that everyone will benefit from the messages contained in Take Your Foot Off The Gas because it talks about common sense driving practices in a light that most of us just don’t consider while we are out and about. I’ll show you how to get out of the traffic war. No more fighting traffic. No more pain. No more having to follow the bumper in front of you.

Paul Osborne

Matt Timion 09-10-2005 05:05 PM

Price Discrimination and the "econobox"

You make some very good points. I"ll be sure to buy the book very soon. The fact is, from a cost standpoint, modifying driving behaviors is the fastest and cheapest way to save money at the pump. It also drastically reduces your risk of serious injury, as well as helps prolong the life of your vehicle.

A lot of the modifications on this website will cost some money, and others will not. Some are conceptual, and some are just bogus. Driving habits, however, are key in increasing fuel economy.

I seriously believe that it is the cheapest, fastest, and most effective modification you can make to your car.

And then there is the matter of road rage, stress, and the traffic game. I lived in Southern California for about 10 years and I used to tailgate like crazy. I didn't even realize I was doing it. One day I was on the receiving end of a traffic ticket for doing what we called a "california roll" through a stop sign. After yet another 8 hours of traffic school I vowed to never tailgate again. nothing is so important that I need to risk my life over it. Driving in a more conservative manner has given me a much more relaxed outlook on life. Little behavior changes like this really do trickle down to your every day life.

Oh, I also have a bachelors degree in Psychology, and am hoping to get accepted to the University of Utah's Social Psychology PhD program next year. Behavior and stress are some of my favorite topics. :)

Paul Osborne 09-10-2005 06:44 PM

parting out Honda d15b2 engine

I hope that my book appeals to drivers of all ages because it’s short and easy to read. It also discusses how to handle road rage and has a simple test to rate individual driving practices. I can’t wait to hear your score!

Everyone wants to know how to save fuel but drivers have to be shown how to do it in a memorable way or, they just forget all about it when dealing with busy traffic. That’s really a required element in order to effectively help people change their driving behavior – they need something that will stick in their heads, forever. I hope my book will help do just that.

I can honestly say that driving in busy city traffic is very relaxing for me. I've mastered the art of letting go of traffic pressure and am out of the traffic war! I kid you not, busy city traffic is effortless for me compared to what it use to be before I learned how to stop fighting!

I’m glad to hear about your success in psychology. How is the weather in Utah? We haven’t had rain in Dallas in nearly a month. My lawn is getting brown.

Paul Osborne

SVOboy 09-10-2005 07:18 PM

D15Z1 in a 91 CRX HF

It seems that to be free from traffic pressure would be nice. I am often a victim to it but not to a large extent. I think it is prolly to do with I am 17 and haven't been driving too long, but I dunno about that for sure.

PS: It rained last week in NJ and my lawn is brown anyway, and my mom has been wuddering it daily. V_V

chasgood 09-10-2005 07:58 PM

GasSavers Meet?

SUV's suck. Suck gas that is. ;-)

Welcome Paul

Way to many NASCAR and F1 wanabees on the highway these days. Your book sounds like a breath of fresh air. Will have to get it.

Paul Osborne 09-11-2005 06:18 AM

Sale away

Chasgood,

Oh goody, another sale. :-)

Really, I think you’ll benefit from the book. It’s a must have for every gas conscious consuming advocate. Please let me know how you score on the test which is located at the end of the book. It’s a tough test!! I don’t think very many people will score very high. But I could be wrong, I often am.

Paul Osborne

Paul Osborne 09-11-2005 06:21 AM

cuts in my rear bumper

SVOboy, you’ve got a lot of driving ahead of you. How you mold your driving habits now will directly affect how much you spend on fuel, the quantity of tickets you get, and the unfortunate involvement with colliding into other cars. I think the best advice I could give to teenage drivers other than to abide by the speed limit, would be to maintain safe distance from the bumper ahead.

Paul Osborne

Matt Timion 09-11-2005 08:54 AM

Howdy from Louisville, Kentucky.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Osborne
I think the best advice I could give to teenage drivers other than to abide by the speed limit, would be to maintain safe distance from the bumper ahead.

More true words have never been spoken. I actually loath being in the car when my friend drives. They live in SOuthern California and tailgate like there is no tomorrow. They also have nasty habbit of using the turn signalf HALF WAY/ through the lane change. I always thought that the turning signal warns other motorists that you are about to change lanes, not that you already had.

Some accidents can't be avoided, like the time someone hit my rear end on I-15 at 65mph while THEY were switching lanes. They then took off. That accident had nothing to do with my driving style, and everything to do with their inability to keep a safe distance between me and them. Most accidents can be avoided, however, and it happens when people quit thinking that their lives depend on getting to their destination.

I remember hearing on the radio in Southern California a few years ago that the highway authority (or was it AAA?) conducted a study on the freeways. They had a bunch of people speed and swerve in and out of traffic to get to their destination faster. They had another group go with the flow of the traffic. I think the speeders/swervers arrived at the destination something like 2 minutes ahead of the other group.

I don't know about you, but my life isn't worth 2 minutes.