Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Air bag generation: A spotters guide (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/air-bag-generation-a-spotters-guide-13433.html)

Philip1 04-01-2011 10:19 PM

Air bag generation: A spotters guide

How to spot a member of the air bag generation.

1. Head down texting

2. Texting while driving

3. When not text driving drives like a total douche

4. Often acts like you are the problem when they clearly are

5. Is loud and obnoxious when they should be considerate

6. Always blames something or someone else for their screw up

7. Demands more safety regulation when common sense is much easier and less expensive

8. Cuts off others even if they have been waiting much longer

9. Seems to believe inanimate objects are capable of complex tasks

10. Is a complete flake about promises but you had better keep yours or else

dieselbenz 04-02-2011 08:55 AM

Re: Air bag generation: A spotters guide

11. Authors this thread.

Jay2TheRescue 04-02-2011 09:15 AM

12. Responds to this thread. ;)

bowtieguy 04-02-2011 12:18 PM

13. Takes life too seriously...ALL the time! ok, some comic relief then...

The price of Gas versus Printer Ink

All these examples do NOT imply that gasoline is cheap; it just illustrates how outrageous some prices are.... You will be really shocked by the last one! (At least, I was...)Compared with Gasoline......Think a gallon of gas is expensive?

This makes one think, and also puts things in perspective.
Diet Snapple 16 oz $1.29 ... $10.32 per gallon

Lipton Ice Tea 16 oz $1.19 ..........$9.52 per gallon

Gatorade 20 oz $1.59 .... $10.17 per gallon

Ocean Spray 16 oz $1.25 ......... $10..00 per gallon

Brake Fluid 12 oz $3.15 ...... $33.60 per gallon

Vick's Nyquil 6 oz $8.35 ... $178.13 per gallon
Pepto Bismol 4 oz $3.85 .. $123.20 per gallon
Whiteout 7 oz $1.39 ....... . $25.42 per gallon

Scope 1.5 oz $0.99 .....$84.48 per gallon
And this is the REAL KICKER...Evian water 9 oz $1.49..$21.19 per gallon! $21.19 for WATER and the buyers don't even know the source (Evian spelled backwards is Naive.)Ever wonder why printers are so cheap? So they have you hooked for the ink. Someone calculated the cost of the ink at...............(you won't believe it....but it is true........)$5,200 a gal. (five thousand two hundred dollars)So, the next time you're at the pump,be glad your car doesn't run on water, Scope, or Whiteout, Pepto Bismol, Nyquil or God forbid, Printer Ink!

Philip1 04-03-2011 01:30 AM

The air bag generation is why a cup of hot coffee has a warning label. They are the person that tailgates you because 5-10 over the speed limit is too slow even if you are in the slow lane. They are the ones who cut off three or four lanes of traffic because they almost missed their exit. These are the same people who yell at the teacher for their kid not doing his/her homework. An airbag gen doesn't bother to think before putting themselves or others at risk.

An air bag generation person is anyone who doesn't think, then blames or sues because they didn't think.

An air bag gen expects the world without earning it.

An airbag generation person refuses to accept personal responsibility for anything.

I accept full responsibility for the content of my posts.

theholycow 04-03-2011 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philip1 (Post 159446)
The air bag generation is why a cup of hot coffee has a warning label.

No, that's entirely the fault of the lawyers.

Quote:

They are the person that tailgates you because 5-10 over the speed limit is too slow even if you are in the slow lane. They are the ones who cut off three or four lanes of traffic because they almost missed their exit.
This behavior precedes airbags.

I'm not defending one group, just implicating other groups...credit where credit is due.

bowtieguy 04-03-2011 04:38 AM

i believe philip's point is well taken here. i believe tail gating and aggressive driving is almost becoming the norm for many young people.

i drive for a living and beyond aggressive driving, i'm seeing more distracted drivers now; and not just while in motion. for those "responsible" enough not to text or talk while moving, it seems like it takes longer to get thru intersections after a red light now because they're trying to finish texting before thet get moving.

dieselbenz 04-03-2011 06:53 AM

Tail gating and aggressive driving has been the norm of every generation since the first time 2 cars used the same road. Complaining about it simply show age.

theclencher 04-03-2011 07:31 AM

It does seem more and more that drivers expect the vehicle to do the driving and they are just along for the ride. :/

bowtieguy 04-03-2011 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjts1 (Post 159457)
Tail gating and aggressive driving has been the norm of every generation since the first time 2 cars used the same road. Complaining about it simply show age.

i'll grant you age part. but, trust me, i drive more than most...could be the heat of florida, population growth, society's move towards instant gratification, whatever...there IS more aggressive driving and distractions.

you could make the argument that distractions have always been a part of driving as well...but NOT on the level it is now in regard to quantity and frequency.

theholycow 04-03-2011 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjts1 (Post 159457)

:eek: Does that mean I'm old?

bowtieguy 04-03-2011 08:34 AM

yup, your new name will be theoldholycow!

Philip1 04-03-2011 08:57 AM

Definition: Airbag Generation,
A person who if it wasn't for driver aids and airbags would do the gene pool a favor.

Jay2TheRescue 04-03-2011 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 159462)

I don't know, but as soon as you're done yelling at the kids on your lawn we can discuss it. ;)

dieselbenz 04-03-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 159462)

Its ok. I ***** and moan about kids these days too.

Kids these days...

benfrogg 04-03-2011 06:50 PM

Two things-
Printer ink is extraordinarily expensive if you buy it the traditional way;
If you buy it in the "kit" to refill the cartridges yourself, it is $100-150 a gallon (yes, that is very cheap per cartridge). Once the price of the kit itself is paid (<$15 if I recall), the ink is cheap. They aren't hard to fill. Almost all of them can be filled. I keep two sets for each printer filled at all times. It's a little messy, but way cheaper.
Two-
We now live in the "me" generation. That is an explanation for the newer driving habbits. The self centered, I am important, better than everyone, etc generation is the big issue, in my mind. There's some good info on this topic.. I heard something on the radio about it the other day.
B

VetteOwner 04-04-2011 02:11 PM

lol crap im old now...i HATE new drivers and anyone younger than me...

kids are dumb unimaginative cry babies, parents are just as bad of smothering them (thanks purell and lysol!) think back of how many times you didnt wash your hands before eating lunch after playing in the dirt with your tonka trucks...or drank from the garden hose, was outside like 12 hrs a day...

hell i was lucky to get a pencil and a hotel pad of paper to draw with in the car, crayons and ink pens all got "banned" from the backseat when they melted haha so did bubble gum was very glad to get a radio with headphones haha

parents are just as bad and refuse to spank their kids 95% of them out there deserve and NEED to be smacked, like in stores and restaurants i dont ever remember being loud running all over etc. i got spanked a few times, yelled at alot, had those few magical words of (insert full birth name here) or just wait till your father gets home lol.

but i must say i get bad road rage especially at drivers going 50 in a 65 (not just ONE person either like 3 cars blocking all the lanes every dang day) people who cant figure out how or when to use a turn signal, or blatantly break laws that are marked in 3 places (no left turn means NO LEFT TURN, got stuck behind some retard trying to make a left turn in a intersection that's marked in 3 places no left turn, layed on the horn with a cop perpendicular to me and of course he did nothing, if they actually ticketed people when they obviously break laws it would fix the states budget problem)

trollbait 04-05-2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benfrogg (Post 159470)
Two things-
Printer ink is extraordinarily expensive if you buy it the traditional way;
If you buy it in the "kit" to refill the cartridges yourself, it is $100-150 a gallon (yes, that is very cheap per cartridge). Once the price of the kit itself is paid (<$15 if I recall), the ink is cheap. They aren't hard to fill. Almost all of them can be filled. I keep two sets for each printer filled at all times. It's a little messy, but way cheaper.
Two-
We now live in the "me" generation. That is an explanation for the newer driving habbits. The self centered, I am important, better than everyone, etc generation is the big issue, in my mind. There's some good info on this topic.. I heard something on the radio about it the other day.
B

I remember first hearing the me generation term in the 80's with the rise of the yuppie. Wikipedia even redirects it to Baby-boomers.

The basis of the thread sounds like a doth protest too much phenomenon.

bowtieguy 04-10-2011 04:24 AM

ok here is what we're talking about(again this behavior was present before this "air bag" generation, but not as prevalent)...

true story, happened yesterday:
on my way home just entering the ramp to the FL turnpike, a young guy decides that my 35mph in the 25mph limit is not good enough and is tailgating me. i slow to 25 and accelerate back to 35 several times(it's a series of long ramps before and after toll), but no results--still on my bumper.

now as we near the 70mph turnpike on the last turn, i tap my brakes. furious, he has to slow even more, he speeds around me, half off the pavement. by the time he makes it around me, he is now merging on the turnpike. to return me the favor, he slams his brakes in front of me, but expecting such foolish judgement, i am both ready and unfazed.

BUT...not realizing his location, he very nearly was rear ended by a third party presumably already going near 70 mph in the travel lane, not expecting some knucklehead to merge in and come to a stop. so this guy, likely drives regularly to endanger his own life, those of his passengers, those that "do him wrong," AND innocent bystanders! :confused: :mad: :(

imzjustplayin 04-17-2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philip1 (Post 159464)
Definition: Airbag Generation,
A person who if it wasn't for driver aids and airbags would do the gene pool a favor.

You might not be aware but the reason WHY airbags were made was for passengers who WEREN'T wearing their seatbelts.. Unfortunately this message never was communicated properly and so people incorrectly associated airbags with saving lives, driving a car w/o an airbag would mean death when the real issue at hand was that people weren't wearing their seatbelts or the cars had a bad crash test rating. Now more people wear their seatbelts and so front airbags have taken a "back seat" to all of this and are now supplementary but mostly unnecessary. As for side-airbags, they primarily benefit drivers whose head is below the roof line and isn't protected by a roof pillar such as the C-pillar in the rear seats.. So a 5'5 female driver would benefit from a side airbag but a 5'7 rear passenger and a 6'2 driver might not because their heads hopefully contact the padded C pillar and the roof edge respectively. Worst part about side impact testing is that the score is not based upon acceleration load on the head but on the pelvis. So while the head is measured, even if it gets a rating that would lead to brain death, the car in a side impact could still get 5 stars.

shatto 04-17-2011 03:47 PM

Y'all sure are a cranky bunch. :)

bowtieguy 04-17-2011 03:56 PM

yes i am...after working for 12 hours, i just want an uneventful drive home. is that much to ask? ;)

VetteOwner 04-17-2011 04:22 PM

hell i just want an uneventful ride to work AND home....

Philip1 04-18-2011 05:42 AM

I want others to use any semblance of common sense.

I chose "airbag generation" because often these people don't even wear Seatbelts.

theholycow 04-18-2011 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philip1 (Post 159943)
I chose "airbag generation" because often these people don't even wear Seatbelts.

In that case I would describe them as "airhead generation".

In my observation, the demographic most likely to not wear seatbelts is 40-70 year old business owners with phones glued to their heads...and a smaller subset of 16-30 year olds who are trying for a Darwin award. Both groups drive as described in this thread (except the business owners are talking, not texting, but they're writing while they talk).

shatto 04-18-2011 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 159945)
In that case I would describe them as "airhead generation".

In my observation, the demographic most likely to not wear seatbelts is 40-70 year old business owners with phones glued to their heads...and a smaller subset of 16-30 year olds who are trying for a Darwin award. Both groups drive as described in this thread (except the business owners are talking, not texting, but they're writing while they talk).

What about "Click It Or Ticket" which I thought was a national campaign?
Nothing in the world matches passing through towns , villages, cities and open spaces and having the feeling of being an invisible observer while riding. But I would never again do it without a full helmet and leathers.
Some Harley riders still use 'Brain Buckets' but virtually all California riders use a proper helmet now.
More local cops a unbuckled than civilians....by a long, long shot. The issue is people using their cell phone in some fashion or tother but, frankly, I have wondered if most of them are any more dangerous than women farding as they drive.

https://rashmanly.wordpress.com/2009...in-their-cars/

Jay2TheRescue 04-18-2011 09:05 AM

I was surprised to see that about half the riders in my advanced motorcycle class yesterday had Snell rated helmets.

bowtieguy 04-18-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteOwner (Post 159925)
hell i just want an uneventful ride to work AND home....

with ya...but at 3:30 am, there's not much that could happen, but...

bowtieguy 04-18-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 159945)
In my observation, the demographic most likely to not wear seatbelts is 40-70 year old business owners with phones glued to their heads...and a smaller subset of 16-30 year olds who are trying for a Darwin award.

so HC, now i know you're between the age of 30 and 40, as well as being age discriminate! and because you aren't tolerant, i know your political affiliation too! ;)

theholycow 04-18-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowtieguy (Post 159958)
so HC, now i know you're between the age of 30 and 40, as well as being age discriminate! and because you aren't tolerant, i know your political affiliation too! ;)

https://www.fuelly.com/attachments/fo...6ff83b43f2.gif

I have no more problem with people of the ages I mentioned than people of other ages, and I have opinions without being intolerant. I'm just reporting observations.

The group between the ages of 30 and 40 has fewer of the types I described, a normal distribution of generally bad drivers, and their own stereotypical problems not related to this thread...

IndyFetch 04-18-2011 04:39 PM

I'm 28, and i cuss at the "young" people. But as much as I dislike the kids who are aggressive drivers, at least some of them pay attention to what is going on around them. I absolutely hate the oblivious drivers. That is, those who drive 85 in a 55, weaving through traffic while putting on makeup. Or the ones who cannot keep their car in their own lane, because that would require keeping an eye on the road. Or those who cannot trouble themselves to look before changing lanes or pulling out into traffic. I hate those who will follow a car through a red light, just because the car in front of them went through it (I often have to sit and wait at a green light while three cars turn left at a red light). I'd rather share the road with a drag-racing kid going 120 mph down the interstate (but is concentrating on the road) over an idiot who has no idea that there is a car next to them or that the light turned red 3 seconds ago...

IndyFetch 04-19-2011 05:49 AM

I will add one more. I hate the drivers on the interstate that drive in the left (or middle) lane when approaching an exit. I am in the right lane behind another car. The car in the left lane keeps speeding up and slowing down. Then, just before the exit, the driver cuts between me and the other car (while slowing down, of course, forcing me to hit the brakes hard). Of course, there was no car in front of the car in front of me, and no car behind me. Why not speed up and get in front, or slow down and get in back? Come on, people!!