Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Car Reviews (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Six months of trouble free driving with the Prius (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f30/six-months-of-trouble-free-driving-with-the-prius-13465.html)

jadziasman 04-10-2011 11:17 AM

Six months of trouble free driving with the Prius

Hey y'all

Been away for a while on another forum (can you guess which one).

My 2005 Prius has been excellent. I've put 10K miles on it so far and have had no mechanical problems that the car was responsible for anyway.

I had to replace a tire because I hadn't been checking the pressure in the cold and snowy winter we just made it through. It turned out that the front passenger tire had a leaking valve and after striking a pothole I ran it flat on the way to work. I couldn't believe I didn't notice it was completely flat until leaving the interstate in bumper-to-bumper traffic on the commute to work one Monday morning. Why did I miss this? I made the assumption that my Prius had TPMS when in fact tire pressure monitors were not added to the Prius until '06. So, all in all the tire fiasco was entirely my fault.

Funny thing was - this Prius has auto-levelling headlights. The warning light came on a couple of times within a week before the tire went flat. This indicates to me that the low pressure on the front passsenger tire was enough to trigger the sensor. The warning light has not lit since the tire was replaced. So it looks like I have a crude TPMS system in the auto-levelling sensor after all. Or it was just a coincidence. The auto-levelling sensor on the Prius is mounted next to the driver's rear tire. Other Prius owners have had the sensor trigger when the sensor gets wet or when its innards get corroded. I won't know what the deal is until the next time the warning light comes on. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The fuel economy for the Prius has been a steady 44 mpg throughout the winter. This is about 10% better than I was getting with the VX. However, the VX was definitely long in the tooth and used to get better mpg when younger.

So, in summary, the Prius I bought has been a good car. Now if I can get it to 100K miles without major problems.....

VetteOwner 04-10-2011 04:58 PM

Re: Six months of trouble free driving with the Prius

They actually have an auto leveling headlight system?!?!?!?! lol what a waste of money on that one...apparently 2 screws and 2 springs was too complicated for people.

I had a flat tire on my s10 and didnt notice it leaning any way, the only way i knew it was flat (radio was up so didnt notice any noises) was i noticed the truck had no power and was bogging down hard, shut off the radio and heard that wump wump wump noise and immediately pulled over and was flat as can be and the bead was off the rim. was kinda surprised at what little noise it made (prolly would have made a crapload once the tire shredded but i caught it in time, had it patched and still running it.)

these newer cars that dont have tires but rubber bands i think were gonna see alot more of shredded tires out there.

theholycow 04-10-2011 05:45 PM

Auto-leveling headlights aren't auto-aiming, they just compensate for attitude change from load, so when your trunk is full of bodies^H^H^H^H^H^Hlibrary books your headlights don't glare in everybody's eyes.

VetteOwner 04-10-2011 07:19 PM

meh haha still seems pointless tho. now on a pickup that can handle 1000+ lbs then yea it will make the front end pop up but ehh i dunno noones high beamed me yet...

trollbait 04-12-2011 06:50 AM

Not many trucks have HID head lamps standard.

Asian and European Prii may not have the auto leveler. There's a manual adjustment next to their EV button. Toyota deemed, likely correctly, NA drivers couldn't handle it.

VetteOwner 04-12-2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trollbait (Post 159743)
Not many trucks have HID head lamps standard.

Asian and European Prii may not have the auto leveler. There's a manual adjustment next to their EV button. Toyota deemed, likely correctly, NA drivers couldn't handle it.

lol figures, they got thier ink and feather and we got our jumbo crayons...:p

i dunno i have 80W/100W headlights now and still havent gotten flashed...i do love the high wattage lights tho:D must find 9005 versions :P

trollbait 04-13-2011 10:20 AM

The spectrums are different.
The warm yellow white of a halogen isn't as glaring as the near actinic of the HID.

VetteOwner 04-13-2011 08:06 PM

well these are a higher whiter color spectrum, plus being 25W more powerful on low than standard lows and 40 more on highs i would think someone would be mad....

trollbait 04-14-2011 05:47 AM

You just aren't hearing their curses. :)

VetteOwner 04-14-2011 12:27 PM

haha i did discover people get mad when im in my blazer and follow a tad too close at night, but 4 55W headlights will do that :P not my fault thier going 50 in a 65 zone...