Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Daihatsu hello (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/daihatsu-hello-13486.html)

farmerjohn 04-16-2011 04:41 AM

Daihatsu hello

Hi all, very happy to find this forum and looking forward to participating,

I've got a Daihatsu HiJet van 660cc , 3 speed automatic that gets 28mpg - 12kml, because I have a heavy foot. Would be interested in finding out how to up this, other than wearing lighter shoes. Also have a 50cc Honda Super Cub scooter, 3 speed no clutch that gets incredible mileage if you can do the speed limit, hahaha.

john

Jay2TheRescue 04-16-2011 06:44 AM

Re: Daihatsu hello

I haven't seen a Daihatsu in like 15 years. They only sold them for about 2 years here in the states. If I remember correctly there was some sort of safety issue with the cars, and rather than fix it they just shut down their US operations.

theholycow 04-16-2011 09:27 AM

Between then and now, Toyota gained a controlling interest in Daihatsu and now sells badge-engineered Daihatsus in the US (according to Wikipedia).

Anyway, welcome!

farmerjohn 05-21-2011 04:00 PM

Ok, traded in the 2000 HiJet for a 2009 HiJet with 34,000KM on the clock. First tank was showing 16km/L! Using smaller, narrower tires and driving carefully.

GasSavers_BEEF 05-21-2011 06:32 PM

I can see why that wouldn't sell in the US. people talk about how light my car is at 2300 lbs. yours weighs 930. I would drive the crap out of it but that is just me.

I would love to see some more pics of it (maybe add them to your garage) also, what is the top speed of it being a 660cc?

we don't see many vehicles like this very often. good to have you here.

IndyFetch 05-23-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 160943)
I can see why that wouldn't sell in the US. people talk about how light my car is at 2300 lbs. yours weighs 930. I would drive the crap out of it but that is just me.

I would love to see some more pics of it (maybe add them to your garage) also, what is the top speed of it being a 660cc?

I'll bet that's in kilograms. Still, that's only around 2,050 lbs.

farmerjohn 05-26-2011 02:20 PM

Thanks for the replys,

Yes it's in Kilograms, so around a ton. How can I modify my garage? Can't seem to erase the info, as I put it in metric, but coming out miles.?

farmerjohn 05-26-2011 02:21 PM

Never mind, got it

farmerjohn 05-31-2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 160943)

Sorry for the late reply,

Top speed is over 110 Km/hr, (60mph?) that's all I ever got it up to. Get's real "floaty" about there, wouldn't want a semi blowing by you at that speed or I'd be in for an involuntary lane change, or worse! Usually cruise at 60-80 Km/hr. It's more of a "county road" car, not an interstate cruiser, suits me fine though.

I'll try and get some pics to the garage.

Thanks for the welcome all.

john

GasSavers_BEEF 06-01-2011 04:10 AM

that's pretty cool. I would love to see some pics of the engine.

my first car was a geo metro and it was a 1 liter 3 cylinder (1000cc). is yours a 2 or 3 cylinder. if I had to guess I would think it was a v twin or similar. largest thing we have with that engine around here would either be a motorcycle or an ATV.