Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Civic VX with auto trans? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/civic-vx-with-auto-trans-13504.html)

coletrain777 04-19-2011 04:47 AM

Civic VX with auto trans?

So,
I have done a lot of searching about VX's with auto transmissions and the consensus seems to be that there were no Federal P07 VX's made with an auto trans in the US. Is this true? I have found 2 VX's with auto tranny's near me in the last 2 days, wondering if they would be a decent platform. What do I need to check for when looking at them... 02 sensor, ecu id,... what? Thanks in advance for the info.

GasSavers_Erik 04-19-2011 05:55 AM

Re: Civic VX with auto trans?

Look at the underhood emissions decal. It will likely indicate the engine and transmission combination that came in the car.

It could be a DX that someone is trying to sell as a VX now that gas prices are high. They may have even put on a VTEC-E valve cover to fool most people.

The oxygen sensor should have 5 wires. You may even want to check the engine block code. Be sure that the check engine light comes on when you first turn the key on to start it.

I know the 94-97 accords had an auto transmission control module (TCM) that gets info from the ECU and controls shift points. I would think many of the civics would be the same. If so, I would think this might be difficult to integrate with the proper VX ECU- so even if it has the VX engine, it may be running a DX ECU and wiring harness which wouldn't save much gas.

Even if the engine and ECU are legit- the auto trans is going to be geared lower than the VX trans, so you will not get super high mileage out of it. Likely better than a DX though.

There are likely some VIN decoders out there that you could use and see what it comes up as.

coletrain777 04-19-2011 07:21 AM

Yeah, I called the guy and he was confused about which model it was :). He does have a VX as well that I may go look at, but he's 5 hours south of me and gas is well... EXPENSIVE (especially pulling a trailer 10 hours roundtrip).

If anyone has a reasonably priced, fairly clean VX let me know... I will travel anywhere if I can fly in and drive it home, but closer to Missouri is better.

civic94 04-19-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik (Post 160009)
Look at the underhood emissions decal. It will likely indicate the engine and transmission combination that came in the car.

It could be a DX that someone is trying to sell as a VX now that gas prices are high. They may have even put on a VTEC-E valve cover to fool most people.

you cant just put a vtec-e valve cover on a cx or Dx motor. the spark plugs are on the other side.

GasSavers_Erik 04-19-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by civic94 (Post 160048)
you cant just put a vtec-e valve cover on a cx or Dx motor. the spark plugs are on the other side.

My mistake

imzjustplayin 04-21-2011 11:41 AM

the cx/vx never came with an auto transmission.

benfrogg 04-21-2011 10:27 PM

There's a VX needing significant rust repair on the rear fenders in my area for $600. You could get a transit pass to get it home as it runs/drives.
If I had any extra bread I'd buy it for parts/rebuild.
https://maine.craigslist.org/cto/2337202331.html
Note his posting says $800 but inside the add it says $600 obo. He'd take $500 cash in a heartbeat. The car has been listed for months. You might be able to get it for $400.
If you've got the time/energy/money to fix it, it's a steal.
B

coletrain777 04-25-2011 08:06 AM

that's my problem... I've got lots of extra money, I just hate fixing rust. I do paint and body work on the side (have a booth at my house), I just HATE fixing rust...! It's amazing, I have cash in my hand and can't find a decent car to buy that hasn't been modded or someone doesn't want way more than its worth (and I am willing to pay decent money). To think that when I bought my first one a year ago I was mad at paying $450 for it because the body was a little beat up :) I would buy 10 of them for that price now!

If anyone else has a line on one I am definitely interested and ready to buy NOW!