Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Using magnets to improve fuel economy (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/using-magnets-to-improve-fuel-economy-1355.html)

SVOboy 10-03-2005 09:52 AM

Hmm

I read something about using electromagnets somewhere and there was some arguement against it. I can't remember if it was heat or power drain or something of that sort, I just dunno, I'll look for it after I get back from the doctor's.

Flatland2D 10-03-2005 10:08 AM

I believe rare earth magnets

I believe rare earth magnets are stronger than any electromagnet you could create within reason (ie. not drawing tons of amps). Consider their effect "free" since they are not costing your engine anything to run them.

I do have some old hard drives sitting around. Might have to go crack one open later.

mneofreek 10-03-2005 12:40 PM

Could there possibly be

Could there possibly be something in certain types of gasoline that causes the magnets to do something? Like if there is alittle water in the gas there could also be iron along with that water? Or how about some of the gas additives that they put into the gas near winter? Maybe there is something in there that might be reacting with the magnets causing some people to get better gas mileage. Have there been any test involving straight pump gas to magnets or have they been using pure quality gas?

SVOboy 10-03-2005 12:50 PM

I dunno

I dunno. Those are good questions. Lots of states still use detergents, although all of them will be using ethanol (e10) pretty soon as the mbce or whatev it is gets outlawed. The reasoning behind magnets I have heard is it break up clumps of gas, but gas wouldn't clump, so mehbe things inside of it are clumping it up.

dfoxengr 10-04-2005 04:08 AM

its more about the atomic

its more about the atomic level, not what you can see...

Flatland2D 10-04-2005 06:38 AM

He was talking about

He was talking about breaking the gas molecules up, not clumping you can actually see.

dfoxengr 10-04-2005 07:41 AM

a magnet wont be able to

a magnet wont be able to take apart a molecule either.

SVOboy 10-04-2005 10:18 AM

Hmmph

I don't mean that it will rip the molecule apart, just that if they are coming together through magnetic forces because of detergents or something, a strong enough magnet could rip it apart.

SVOboy 10-04-2005 02:59 PM

Woot

Got two damn powerful HDD magnets right now. I'll prolly dremel them down to just the magnet. I actuall smashed my finger when the went at each other, and it was really bad, these suckers are good stuff. I'll see if I can get some more, of course, but first I'll figure out if two is good for just the fuel line or what. I'll also post up a magnet thing in the experiment section with some pictures of how I put it together when I do.

n0rt0npr0 11-08-2005 02:58 PM

*bump* Everyone needs to see this...

This just seems so crazy and off the wall to me. I'm still highly skeptical.
...its a video of a news station giving the grade of "pass" to a certain magnet system (they friggin use a dyno)

Get video here

Think we should call the news station and try to get copies of them dyno papers?
~Will
p.s.~The "belief" that you will get increased mileage is the only "force" working at its best...
and not sure but anyone using firefox may not be able to run this stream...